Tenkara

Riff89

So I’ve been watching a lot of YouTube and I’ve kind of caught the Tenkara bug. For those of you who don’t know it’s a very old style of Japanese fly fishing. Simple rod and line no reel no extras (think cane pole).
I feel like this setup would be perfect for the type of fishing I like to do most which is targeting Native mountain brook trout. The rods usually telescope into the handle and when packed up are only 18” long or so.
The one drawback I’ve seen is the cost I totally understand buying quality gear and the buy nice or buy twice saying but I don’t know enough about the stuff to know the difference.
Anyway I’m going to hold off on making any purchases for a bit until I learn a little more but I was curious if any of you have any experience with the Tenkara style of fishing? If you do do you happen to have any advice on what a good quality entry level setup would be?
Tsal
Forum Decorum

I do not have any experience, I did however teach my kids how to fly fish with just a rod with no reel. They love it.
The Troll Whisperer
Ronv69
Founding Member

God and Texas!
Wildcat
Codger in Training

Saw a lot of the pocket fisherman at campgrounds when I was a kid
I wonder if "blame Wildcat" will become a theme here? - Fr_Tom
Ronv69
Founding Member

My wife will only fish with a cane pole. Most of the fish I have caught have been with a cane pole.
God and Texas!
Ruffinogold
The Mayor

Ronv69 wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 10:37 am

I wish I still had mine . Theres a new one out and the materials arent as good as the original , which isn't surprising . If Apple were cool , or any of these modern companies , theyd come out with an awesome modern version . Maybe Musk will . The flame thrower he designed was cool and maybe someone can poke him about a pocket fisherman
" I believe adventure is nothing but a romantic name for trouble " L.L.
Citizen B
Raconteur Extraordinaire

All I know about fishing is that, in my experience, it is a lot of sitting around waiting for nothing to happen....

Waitaminnit!

All this time I could have been fishing.
-- The Rhinestone Dandy.
Ruffinogold
The Mayor

Riff89 wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 6:05 am So I’ve been watching a lot of YouTube and I’ve kind of caught the Tenkara bug. For those of you who don’t know it’s a very old style of Japanese fly fishing. Simple rod and line no reel no extras (think cane pole).
I feel like this setup would be perfect for the type of fishing I like to do most which is targeting Native mountain brook trout. The rods usually telescope into the handle and when packed up are only 18” long or so.
The one drawback I’ve seen is the cost I totally understand buying quality gear and the buy nice or buy twice saying but I don’t know enough about the stuff to know the difference.
Anyway I’m going to hold off on making any purchases for a bit until I learn a little more but I was curious if any of you have any experience with the Tenkara style of fishing? If you do do you happen to have any advice on what a good quality entry level setup would be?

Yeah , maybe just a branch would be fine . I used branches in streams . I had a small rod with a spincast on it for streams plus a bit bigger . I dont own a proper rod and reel for some time
" I believe adventure is nothing but a romantic name for trouble " L.L.
Citizen B
Raconteur Extraordinaire

Riff89 wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 6:05 am So I’ve been watching a lot of YouTube and I’ve kind of caught the Tenkara bug. For those of you who don’t know it’s a very old style of Japanese fly fishing. Simple rod and line no reel no extras (think cane pole).
I'm hip to what you're saying but I have no experience. The last time I fished was probably 25 years ago and that was when my son and I went crabbing.

I don't fish but I do like to go to the art museum, up to the third floor. That's where they keep the Chinese and Japanese scrolls of hermits with their simple pole fishing under a twisty tree on a riverbank surrounded by mountains and clouds. The good life. I understand the appeal. I am just too much an urban animal to partake of it, unless I want to laze away my day on the trash-strewn cast concrete edge of the Florida Avenue Canal, fishing for polluted minnows.

Man and nature with as little interference between the two. When we are closest to the natural world, we have a hint of the divine that many people, more and more nowadays, myself included, often never know. I grew up playing in the woods. It has been a long time since I have done that and I will never be able to do it again the way I did then.

Go for it. You won't regret the investment.
-- The Rhinestone Dandy.
Riff89

Citizen B wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 4:36 pm
I'm hip to what you're saying but I have no experience. The last time I fished was probably 25 years ago and that was when my son and I went crabbing.

I don't fish but I do like to go to the art museum, up to the third floor. That's where they keep the Chinese and Japanese scrolls of hermits with their simple pole fishing under a twisty tree on a riverbank surrounded by mountains and clouds. The good life. I understand the appeal. I am just too much an urban animal to partake of it, unless I want to laze away my day on the trash-strewn cast concrete edge of the Florida Avenue Canal, fishing for polluted minnows.

Man and nature with as little interference between the two. When we are closest to the natural world, we have a hint of the divine that many people, more and more nowadays, myself included, often never know. I grew up playing in the woods. It has been a long time since I have done that and I will never be able to do it again the way I did then.

Go for it. You won't regret the investment.
I’ll tell you what a few years back I was feeling really down about everything, I woke up one morning and decided to go fish the brook the way I did almost every summer day as a kid. It was literally like I reset myself I was a kid again albeit not as nimble as I was back then. Sometimes doing what you did as a kid whether it be fishing or just exploring the woods is just what you need. Being outdoors is medicine sometimes.