Knife Blades and Patterns

Kevin Keith
Grand Poobah

I thought this was worth adding to the common stock of PSF knowledge. It’s from The Shooter’s Bible, #64, 1973 Edition.

FJB
Vote Trump 2024!
mrpipster
Solid Citizen

Thats neat!
I wondered what the pruner shape was called. Now I know. Thanks!
"Fear is the Mother of Morality." Friedrich Nietzsche
Kevin Keith
Grand Poobah

mrpipster wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 3:58 pm Thats neat!
I wondered what the pruner shape was called. Now I know. Thanks!
I'd have called it Toucan Sam!
FJB
Vote Trump 2024!
Wildcat
Codger in Training

Very cool 😎
I wonder if "blame Wildcat" will become a theme here? - Fr_Tom
Lostdog5152
Member in Good Standing

The Stockman is where its at for me. I carried a Schrade Stockman shape for years and must have lost it a dozen times. I found it every time...except the last time. I have a Case Copperhead I carry now. A fine knife that I bought on looks alone, but I still miss that Schrade.
Ruffinogold
The Mayor

Back in our day before everyone became " tactical "

I still have a majority of my , what's called traditional knives these days . Way back, my daddy Barlow I kept straight down in my back pocket with my wallet ( folded of course ) . For the time, that was considered a sizable knife to carry . Guys woukd say things like ... damn , John, that's a big knife .
Remember the 1 is none and 2 is one saying
I believe the stockman is the best all around bad ass folder . I ilike one with a stout sheepfoot blade . The clip and spay can be stout or slender , I'm good with either . I used the sheepfoot the most
Everything looks these days and with one blade usually . It's safer but I think it's a shame the young guys dont learn on a slip joint ... to teach them respect and how to use a knife with forward force , it teaches control
" I believe adventure is nothing but a romantic name for trouble " L.L.
ncrobb
Founding Member

Ruffinogold wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 8:44 pm to teach them respect and how to use a knife with forward force , it teaches control
To a lot of people the idea of a “slipjoint” is foreign. If it’s not a lock blade of some type they don’t know what to do with it. I see people all the time using a pocket knife for things better suited to larger, more robust tools. I often think a slip joint would fold up and give them a good cut: lesson learned about how to use a pocket knife. One of my favorite sounds is the noise that a pocket knife’s blade makes as it snaps off at the choil. Usually followed by cursing and some derogatory remarks indicating the user believes the blade to be substandard. Lol.
“I’d like to ride the rodeo, but I got Brahma Fear.” - Jimmy Buffett
Lostdog5152
Member in Good Standing

ncrobb wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 8:13 am
Ruffinogold wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 8:44 pm to teach them respect and how to use a knife with forward force , it teaches control
To a lot of people the idea of a “slipjoint” is foreign. If it’s not a lock blade of some type they don’t know what to do with it. I see people all the time using a pocket knife for things better suited to larger, more robust tools. I often think a slip joint would fold up and give them a good cut: lesson learned about how to use a pocket knife. One of my favorite sounds is the noise that a pocket knife’s blade makes as it snaps off at the choil. Usually followed by cursing and some derogatory remarks indicating the user believes the blade to be substandard. Lol.
The Case Copperhead I have is a lockback. I wish it wasn't. I can't count the times I tried to close it forgetting for a second its a lockback. Handy for some, but just an annoyance to me.
Ruffinogold
The Mayor

Lostdog5152 wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 8:55 am
ncrobb wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 8:13 am
The Case Copperhead I have is a lockback. I wish it wasn't. I can't count the times I tried to close it forgetting for a second its a lockback. Handy for some, but just an annoyance to me.
I bought a Case Cheeta the other day ... it locks but damn it all if it isnt one of the coolest knives out there ... still
Ruffinogold
The Mayor

Kevin Keith wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 1:17 pm I thought this was worth adding to the common stock of PSF knowledge. It’s from The Shooter’s Bible, #64, 1973 Edition.

What was " the bible " for me back in early 80's ..