I need a sharp machete

Citizen B
Raconteur Extraordinaire

Every time I buy a machete at Harbor Freight or the Dollar Store, it's made of pig iron and it doesn't have an edge. Well, it has an edge----it has a dull, eigth-inch-thick edge that I don't feel like grinding forever with my whetstone to make it work as more than a club.

Where can I get a sharp machete? I need to cut some stuff. I'll order it online if you tell me where to find a good machete, the really sharp kind.

I want to take it out of the package, go back to the garden, and cut something so that it falls to the ground with one stroke. You know the kind of machete I'm looking for. You don't buy your machetes at Harbor Freight, do you?

I figure someone on this forum will recommend something to save me some more disappointment.

A sharp machete is like a kind of grail for me. I have searched for years and never found one that is any good. I am overdue because I have some real cutting to do next month.

I prefer high carbon steel because nobody ever complained about a stain on a knife and I want something that holds a sharp edge. It needs to come with a decent edge that I can hone to my liking within my lifetime.

Thank you in advance.
-- The Rhinestone Dandy.
Tsal
Forum Decorum

Maybe @ncrobb can sort you out. He's a knife maker.👍
The Troll Whisperer
mrpipster
Solid Citizen

Citizen B wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 5:01 pm Every time I buy a machete at Harbor Freight or the Dollar Store, it's made of pig iron and it doesn't have an edge. Well, it has an edge----it has a dull, eigth-inch-thick edge that I don't feel like grinding forever with my whetstone to make it work as more than a club.

Where can I get a sharp machete? I need to cut some stuff. I'll order it online if you tell me where to find a good machete, the really sharp kind.

I want to take it out of the package, go back to the garden, and cut something so that it falls to the ground with one stroke. You know the kind of machete I'm looking for. You don't buy your machetes at Harbor Freight, do you?

I figure someone on this forum will recommend something to save me some more disappointment.

A sharp machete is like a kind of grail for me. I have searched for years and never found one that is any good. I am overdue because I have some real cutting to do next month.

I prefer high carbon steel because nobody ever complained about a stain on a knife and I want something that holds a sharp edge. It needs to come with a decent edge that I can hone to my liking within my lifetime.

Thank you in advance.
Ya need one of these https://www.ebay.com/itm/123969427316 its more intimidating to the plants.
"Fear is the Mother of Morality." Friedrich Nietzsche
Citizen B
Raconteur Extraordinaire

mrpipster wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 5:31 pm
Citizen B wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 5:01 pm Every time I buy a machete at Harbor Freight or the Dollar Store, it's made of pig iron and it doesn't have an edge. Well, it has an edge----it has a dull, eigth-inch-thick edge that I don't feel like grinding forever with my whetstone to make it work as more than a club.

Thank you in advance.
Ya need one of these https://www.ebay.com/itm/123969427316 its more intimidating to the plants.
I like that shape and I have considered it but I'm not going to be bringing in the sheaves. I have a city garden. All I farm is good memories.

Someone gave me a full-blown, Grim Reaper-style scythe. I can sharpen the blade but I have no use for the two-handed handle. I need a curve in the blade but in the other direction. I don't need to sweep. I need to chop. I need something I can use in tight spaces with short strokes. The last thing I need is a metal crescent moon bouncing off a fence or a tree trunk into my body.

Have you ever used a machete? I've seen people do it from a distance, but I've never done it myself because I have never found a good sharp machete.
-- The Rhinestone Dandy.
mrpipster
Solid Citizen

Citizen B wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 5:53 pm
mrpipster wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 5:31 pm

Thank you in advance.
I like that shape and I have considered it but I'm not going to be bringing in the sheaves. I have a city garden. All I farm is good memories.

Someone gave me a full-blown, Grim Reaper-style scythe. I can sharpen the blade but I have no use for the two-handed handle. I need a curve in the blade but in the other direction. I don't need to sweep. I need to chop. I need something I can use in tight spaces with short strokes. The last thing I need is a metal crescent moon bouncing off a fence or a tree trunk into my body.

Have you ever used a machete? I've seen people do it from a distance, but I've never done it myself because I have never found a good sharp machete.
Oh yes I have used a machete. And a scythe!
"Fear is the Mother of Morality." Friedrich Nietzsche
Ronv69
Founding Member

I have the same problem,except I have a dozen machetes. I have every shape from Cold Steel and a few others. Some of them work for some things, but none are all-round. The Condor brand is highly rated, but I can't bring myself to spend that much. I just got this one. [urlhttps://www.amazon.com/dp/B0034RFQPK/ref=cm_sw_ ... UTF8&psc=1[/url]
God and Texas!
Citizen B
Raconteur Extraordinaire

Ronv69 wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 6:17 pm I have the same problem,except I have a dozen machetes. I have every shape from Cold Steel and a few others. Some of them work for some things, but none are all-round. The Condor brand is highly rated, but I can't bring myself to spend that much. I just got this one. [urlhttps://www.amazon.com/dp/B0034RFQPK/ref=cm_sw_ ... UTF8&psc=1[/url]
I've never been able to make up my mind about Cold Steel.

I have two sjamboks from them and I watched the video the guy made. This is just my impression and I am happy to be corrected by evidence to the contrary, but I think Cold Steel is more about merchandise and quality is a crapshoot depending on what you pick. Again, I am happy to be set straight.

Cold Steel also pushes a lot of stainless steel, though I haven't looked at their catalog in awhile.

I am looking for a working man's machete, something sharp. Something that would cut a ham in half without any sawing. I'm not looking to break the bank, either.
-- The Rhinestone Dandy.
Riff89

I had pretty good luck with the Gerber Machetes I bought last year. I had to hike 280 some odd miles of pipeline Right Of way in New Jersey and needed to hack my way through some nasty Briars. I wish I had bought the longer of the two that Dicks carried though because the briars would still tear your hands up without enough reach. But if it’s for your average gardening etc I think it would cut the mustard. The harbor freight one I had didn’t last. I believe I have a new one under the back seat of my truck I’m gonna go look and maybe post a pic.
Ronv69
Founding Member

Citizen B wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 6:38 pm
Ronv69 wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 6:17 pm I have the same problem,except I have a dozen machetes. I have every shape from Cold Steel and a few others. Some of them work for some things, but none are all-round. The Condor brand is highly rated, but I can't bring myself to spend that much. I just got this one. [urlhttps://www.amazon.com/dp/B0034RFQPK/ref=cm_sw_ ... UTF8&psc=1[/url]
I've never been able to make up my mind about Cold Steel.

I have two sjamboks from them and I watched the video the guy made. This is just my impression and I am happy to be corrected by evidence to the contrary, but I think Cold Steel is more about merchandise and quality is a crapshoot depending on what you pick. Again, I am happy to be set straight.

Cold Steel also pushes a lot of stainless steel, though I haven't looked at their catalog in awhile.

I am looking for a working man's machete, something sharp. Something that would cut a ham in half without any sawing. I'm not looking to break the bank, either.
The machetes are kinda crap, but they are priced fairly and have some great shapes. The Gladius would put a real hurt on an intruder. I have an Original Tanto that is everything that they said it would be. I have a pocket knife that is really good too. I think that you do get what you pay for with Cold steel, but a 17 buck machete is just that.
God and Texas!
Ronv69
Founding Member

God and Texas!