I need help

Ruffinogold
The Mayor

sisyphus wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 4:56 pm this is the cheap version of what I mentioned
Just ordered it . I cant wait . Says Ill get it tuesday , which I doubt . Thanks again . Finally , Ill be a wizard sharpener .. because I aint got it naturally . I didnt know there was stuff like that . I have a diamond mesh stone [ 2 sided ] but I can never get each side at the same angle .. my eyes are too old I think

Thanks again ! :thumbs:
" I believe adventure is nothing but a romantic name for trouble " L.L.
Ruffinogold
The Mayor

I dig carbon also . My favorite knives are carbon except for one ... a Western USA skinner I bought in 89 . Its a stainless [ I dont know which ] and I can sharpen it and it totally freaking rocks . Ive field dressed big game with it , butchered , hacked freaking vines that I was pretty much stuck in while in a super dense " swamp forest ' dealing with a huge Boar etc .. I love it and its still in very good shape . It has rubber handles too and the grip when you have blood and shit on your hands is perfectly secure . Camillus makes the western stuff now and its a stainless but a different one for sure and made in freaking china as well

I want to publicly thank @ncrobb for giving me my favorite all around knife . A sharp finger styled blade in carbon 1080 ... seriously , Rob ... I love it . Its the perfect all around knife and I havent beaten the hell out of it .. its still in damn good shape . I take care of that one and not use it for stupid stuff

I think the sharp finger style design is the best yet for a fixed . It is good at much
Mr Beardsley
Founding Member

I have a well outfitted wicked edge set up because I too suck at sharpening knives. Sure wish I had seen this post earlier Ruff. Somewhere in the garage I think I have a different clamp style system that we could have made a deal on
“If you try to fail, and succeed, which have you done?” - George Carlin
Ronv69
Founding Member

Ruffinogold wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 2:55 pm In a nutshell , I pretty much suck at sharpening knives , I do . My old sharpfinger , way back in the day , I had good luck sharpening on a certain rock in the stream near my place , if that tells you anything . Dont know why that rock worked but anything Ive tried since then is just Meh ... I suck at getting a knife really sharp . I mean , I can get them sharp enough for tasks but compared to others knives , I suck . Ive only once got a knife to shave and that was pure luck

Anyway , if anyone has tips or tricks or good vides etc .. Id appreciate the hell out of it
I just got a Work Sharp. Beats anything I've had before except for the paper wheels on a bench grinder.
Buy extra belts and the leather belts for the finest edge.
God and Texas!
ncrobb
Founding Member

@Ruffinogold I’m glad you like. It’s a cool knife.
“I’d like to ride the rodeo, but I got Brahma Fear.” - Jimmy Buffett
Ruffinogold
The Mayor

ncrobb wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 7:13 pm @Ruffinogold I’m glad you like. It’s a cool knife.
Its the coolest :thumbs:
Ruffinogold
The Mayor

Ronv69 wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 6:37 pm
Ruffinogold wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 2:55 pm In a nutshell , I pretty much suck at sharpening knives , I do . My old sharpfinger , way back in the day , I had good luck sharpening on a certain rock in the stream near my place , if that tells you anything . Dont know why that rock worked but anything Ive tried since then is just Meh ... I suck at getting a knife really sharp . I mean , I can get them sharp enough for tasks but compared to others knives , I suck . Ive only once got a knife to shave and that was pure luck

Anyway , if anyone has tips or tricks or good vides etc .. Id appreciate the hell out of it
I just got a Work Sharp. Beats anything I've had before except for the paper wheels on a bench grinder.
Buy extra belts and the leather belts for the finest edge.
Cool , thank you . Man , I saw that video and it took 2 mins to order it
Ruffinogold
The Mayor

Mr Beardsley wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 6:08 pm I have a well outfitted wicked edge set up because I too suck at sharpening knives. Sure wish I had seen this post earlier Ruff. Somewhere in the garage I think I have a different clamp style system that we could have made a deal on
I hear ya . I just couldnt help myself when I watched that video . If I get it tuesday , I know what Ill be doing Tuesday night . I have a Schrade work knife that I love and Ive ruined it trying to sharpen it .. Ill have that back to abuse . Man , I abused the hell out of that thing . Broke a small piece of the tip but it doesnt matter cause Ill be prying with it again anyway

One knife I can sharpen pretty well is a Gerber mini paraframe , which is an excellent small lock knife [ liner ] that disappears when you pocket clip it
Wildcrow
Founding Member

Heres what Robb is talking about.
Cost about $20 total... Maybe less.
In my line of life, a sharp knife is EVERYTHING. Thats a two sided stone from Ace hardware. Coarse and fine. Spend your money where you want, but damn, i dont know how the woodsman of yore did anything without fancy diamond stones and fancy get-ups.
Angle angle angle.
I draw the blade to sharpen it. 7 times on one side, flip it, 7 times on the other. Then, one swipe per side 7 times. Then i strop it on my leather block, but i draw the knife backwards with the spine toward me.
Ronv69
Founding Member

Ya know, when I saw the title of this thread, I thought, Yep!
God and Texas!