Today’s harvest (Not for weenies)

Wildcrow
Founding Member

Bruyere_Royale wrote: Sat Feb 23, 2019 6:28 pm I guess this could be the place to show this since.your talking about taxidermy. My black bear rug.
Did you kill that bear? That’s awesome. If I were to have kept the meat, tats what I was going to do with the pelt. That or this...
Wildcrow
Founding Member

Wooda wrote: Sat Feb 23, 2019 6:31 pm Eat it's heart and gain its power.

Half joking.

I want the claws, if it's legal and if they're not part of the mount.
Totally serious.
If I kill another one, you can have them. I hope I don’t need to kill another though at my Place. But if it happens, I’ll be going for the meat. In that case, the paws are yours (at least a pair). My buddies say preserving the feet is much harder than tanning the pelt.

I am getting into setting trap lines for beaver, coon, and possum. I might buy some larger traps for coyotes and cats. I’m mainly interested in the meat of the aforementioned animals, but would consider the extra investment if things looked right.
Wildcrow
Founding Member

slowroll wrote: Sat Feb 23, 2019 5:38 pm Got in close eh? I see you used a shotgun. I've got one around that I haven't been able to get. Bastard ate my rooster.
Missed your post. Yeah, she was real close. My wife hollered at me something like this “Jordan, gun, bobcat, duck, deck, headed to your target, turned around, attack” or something close. I got into the tree line in hot purstuit. She still had the duck in her mouth when I got to her. 30 yd shot. The duck is still alive and appears to be unscathed at the moment.
Tsal
Forum Decorum

Wildcrow wrote: Sat Feb 23, 2019 7:58 pm
Bruyere_Royale wrote: Sat Feb 23, 2019 6:28 pm I guess this could be the place to show this since.your talking about taxidermy. My black bear rug.
Did you kill that bear? That’s awesome. If I were to have kept the meat, tats what I was going to do with the pelt. That or this...
My father shot that bear in Canada 1977! It's been around since as far back as I can remember, he and my uncle were big into hunting. The pelt hat is badass!
The Troll Whisperer
Wildcrow
Founding Member

Bruyere_Royale wrote: Sat Feb 23, 2019 9:17 pm
My father shot that bear in Canada 1977! It's been around since as far back as I can remember, he and my uncle were big into hunting. The pelt hat is badass!
Nah... that’s you without your goatee. Does the photo stay with the rug? Should I do stuff like that for my kids?
Tsal
Forum Decorum

Wildcrow wrote: Sat Feb 23, 2019 9:24 pm
Bruyere_Royale wrote: Sat Feb 23, 2019 9:17 pm

Nah... that’s you without your goatee. Does the photo stay with the rug? Should I do stuff like that for my kids?
Pretty much.
I don't keep the photo with the rug perse but I have an old album of stuff. Actual pictures would be cool to have, flash drives, not so much. Lol
The Troll Whisperer
Wooda
Founding Member

Wildcrow wrote:
If I kill another one, you can have them. I hope I don’t need to kill another though at my Place. But if it happens, I’ll be going for the meat. In that case, the paws are yours (at least a pair). My buddies say preserving the feet is much harder than tanning the pelt.

I am getting into setting trap lines for beaver, coon, and possum. I might buy some larger traps for coyotes and cats. I’m mainly interested in the meat of the aforementioned animals, but would consider the extra investment if things looked right.
Aw, cousin, I have some beaver recipes...
Underwater Basketweaver.
Baskets of basket pipes.
Wildcrow
Founding Member

Wooda wrote: Sun Feb 24, 2019 7:58 am
Wildcrow wrote:

I’m glad to know ore than a few people share an appetite for wild, free range, organic, ethically harvested meats :lol: . I’ll be seeking those recipes when the time is right.
Whistlebritches

Wildcrow wrote: Sun Feb 24, 2019 10:36 am
Wildcrow wrote:

I’m glad to know ore than a few people share an appetite for wild, free range, organic, ethically harvested meats :lol: . I’ll be seeking those recipes when the time is right.
I would try bobcat.......I can assure you I've eaten much worse.Some was surprisingly good........some downright awful.My stomach did roll slightly when I found out our Indian Marine cook had trapped several feral cats and cooked them for the evening meal.During the meal all I remember is say this is quite unique in flavor,I wonder what it is.When I was told by their Colonel later in the evening I kind of wished I'd never asked.But it does prove that rice makes anything taste better.
Wildcrow
Founding Member

Whistlebritches wrote: Sun Feb 24, 2019 6:36 pm
Wildcrow wrote: Sun Feb 24, 2019 10:36 am
I would try bobcat.......I can assure you I've eaten much worse.Some was surprisingly good........some downright awful.My stomach did roll slightly when I found out our Indian Marine cook had trapped several feral cats and cooked them for the evening meal.During the meal all I remember is say this is quite unique in flavor,I wonder what it is.When I was told by their Colonel later in the evening I kind of wished I'd never asked.But it does prove that rice makes anything taste better.
I’d eat feral cats too. My entire outlook can be traced back to a single event in 2012. I was hungrier than I’d ever been before and we sacrificed the smallest Marine in our squad and ate him. :lol: . That obviously a joke. We ate a goat. Before that, I’d never eaten anything other than the typical American meats and Venison. Now, if it has fur/scales/feathers, and a pulse, it’s fair game. Like Bruyere_Royale said, anything tastes good if it’s cooked right.