Ask me anything

Tsal
Forum Decorum

I am buying a new couch for my den and I narrowed it down to two.. I've always wanted a Chesterfield couch but I can't afford an old vintage one in good condition that won't break the bank. The newer ones don't quite feel as comfortable, the backs are low and the seat cushions are not as deep. The only thing going for them is you can still get the couch in leather and the seat cushions come off, not sewn in to place.

I went to take a test drive of these two and when I sat in the Chesterfield it didn't feel comfortable like I could just plop in and relax, I had to find a comfortable position.

This second sofa hit all my buttons as far a style and price range and when I sat down I could have immediately fallen asleep.

So my question is, do I sacrifice immediate comfort over style or buy the Chesterfield and wait for it to break in? Am I getting old and picky? At the end of the day I could fall asleep on the floor at this point. Lol...
The Troll Whisperer
simplepipes
Codger in Training

The second sofa looks far better from a picture and comfort perspective. I do not like high arms nor upholstery buttons as each becomes a wear / tear point.

-sp
My vote has not been bought . . . I paid for my Undergraduate and Graduate Degrees . . .
Puff nstuff

I'm not the Mayor, but FWIW, here's my opinion. A couch, especially the main couch of the house, should be comfortable. #1 looks cool, but if #2 seems well-built enough to last you through your golden years, I'd go with that one. It's a very good looking couch.
I bought a much simpler couch a few years ago that looks great and has a back adjust feature, but I find that sitting in it isn't super comfy, so it doesn't get as much use as the one it replaced.
Because sometimes the body just wants canned fish. 🦪
Kevin Keith
Grand Poobah

FJB
Vote Trump 2024!
Fr_Tom
Chaplain

The second one is cheaper.
"Prov'dence don't fire no blank ca'tridges, boys" Roughing It, Mark Twain

Old Ted Award - 2017
Citizen B
Raconteur Extraordinaire

Fr_Tom wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 3:55 pm The second one is cheaper.
The mark of quality.
-- The Rhinestone Dandy.
Tsal
Forum Decorum

Not by much, both are really nice. I think I'm gonna get the second one and when the time comes to replace the other couch I'll get a Chesterfield.
The Troll Whisperer
Citizen B
Raconteur Extraordinaire

Bruyere_Royale wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 5:40 pm
Not by much, both are really nice. I think I'm gonna get the second one and when the time comes to replace the other couch I'll get a Chesterfield.
The Magic 8 Ball would have told you that.
-- The Rhinestone Dandy.
Chef Benny
Codger in Training

😆 🤣 😂

~ Tobacco is part of a complete breakfast.
Tsal
Forum Decorum

Chef Benny wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 7:10 pm 😆 🤣 😂

:lol: :lol:
The Troll Whisperer