Savinelli filter insert

rlucas
Member in Good Standing

I have misplaced the insert for my Sav. The little plastic tube that replaces the filter when you don't want the filter. I have found where I can get more so thats not an issue. I prefer the filter over the insert sometimes, but not all the time. Sometimes I want filterless.
This is an opinion question: Does anyone else use the insert when going filterless or not use the insert at all?
"That's mighty bold talk for a one eyed fat man!" -Lucky Ned Pepper.
Kevin Keith
Grand Poobah

I almost never use the balsa filters. When I run out I always forget to order them! Anyway, I never use the adapter when smoking a Sav filterless.
FJB
Vote Trump 2024!
Puff nstuff

Haha. I'm just coming back to the pipe after some 30 years, and as it turns out, my favorite pipe is a Savanelli Punto Oro that I bought years ago. I have never used either the insert nor the filters with this pipe, because I never knew a darned thing about either of them until I started looking at this blog a few weeks ago! :lol:
As a newbie, I'm finding I need to use filters, so for now I'm just using paper filters, but I very much look forward to getting my hands on some of the wood filters. There seems to be a shortage of them online, but there's a B&M about 20 miles away that has 'em, apparently.
Because sometimes the body just wants canned fish. 🦪
Kevin Keith
Grand Poobah

Puff nstuff wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 3:38 pm Haha. I'm just coming back to the pipe after some 30 years, and as it turns out, my favorite pipe is a Savanelli Punto Oro that I bought years ago. I have never used either the insert nor the filters with this pipe, because I never knew a darned thing about either of them until I started looking at this blog a few weeks ago! :lol:
As a newbie, I'm finding I need to use filters, so for now I'm just using paper filters, but I very much look forward to getting my hands on some of the wood filters. There seems to be a shortage of them online, but there's a B&M about 20 miles away that has 'em, apparently.
I'm pretty sure the Medico and Dr Grabow paper filters fit a Savinelli. You might have to cut it for length though.
FJB
Vote Trump 2024!
Puff nstuff

Kevin Keith wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 4:18 pm
Puff nstuff wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 3:38 pm Haha. I'm just coming back to the pipe after some 30 years, and as it turns out, my favorite pipe is a Savanelli Punto Oro that I bought years ago. I have never used either the insert nor the filters with this pipe, because I never knew a darned thing about either of them until I started looking at this blog a few weeks ago! :lol:
I'm pretty sure the Medico and Dr Grabow paper filters fit a Savinelli. You might have to cut it for length though.
You are correct. The Medicos work as they are in my Sav, but the Grabow is a tad longer and would need to be trimmed. I find the Grabow has less of the weird taste that they both have, so until I can get some of those balsas, I'll make due with what I've got on hand.
Citizen B
Raconteur Extraordinaire

Puff nstuff wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 8:34 pm
Kevin Keith wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 4:18 pm
You are correct. The Medicos work as they are in my Sav, but the Grabow is a tad longer and would need to be trimmed. I find the Grabow has less of the weird taste that they both have, so until I can get some of those balsas, I'll make due with what I've got on hand.
Did you get some balsa filters or are making due with the Medico filters?

I only buy Medico because they fit everything. As you say, Grabow filters, while the filter du jour for Grabow pipes, don't always work with other makes and models.
-- The Rhinestone Dandy.
Puff nstuff

@Citizen B I have some balsa inserts on order. I'm using both Medicos and Grabows as I can. Both fit my cobs and Grabow, but only the Medico fits the Sav. Looking forward to trying the Medico filter with my new Medico pipe when it arrives! 😀