Honeymoon Pit Stop

Tsal
Forum Decorum

Congrats Benny! Two things are a must in Chicago. Hotdogs and pizza. Oh an Iwan Ries.
The Troll Whisperer
Tsal
Forum Decorum

I guess I'm late to the party. Lol
The Troll Whisperer
MikeDennison
Certified Codger

Bruyere_Royale wrote: Mon Oct 21, 2019 7:29 am I guess I'm late to the party. Lol
That's ok. We're just glad you MADE it to the party! 😆
"I realized I had the gift of seeming to know more than I actually did." -A.J. Cronin-
Chef Benny
Codger in Training

MikeDennison wrote: Mon Oct 21, 2019 12:41 pm
Bruyere_Royale wrote: Mon Oct 21, 2019 7:29 am I guess I'm late to the party. Lol
I ate! .. The Trifecta.. Deep dish.. Polish dogs.. And the Italian beef sandwich!
~ Tobacco is part of a complete breakfast.
Whalehead King

Chef Benny wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 12:15 am So.. I just got married on Saturday.. And I am enjoying my honeymoon in Chicago. I know that the Iwan Ries store is here. The wife is super cool.. She said I can go check it out, as long as she can go shopping at Bloomingdales...lol

Anyway.. Has anyone ever been there? Is there anything I must get when I'm there? I have never tried any of their blends.. But if you guys have any recommendations.. I would much appreciate it.

I will post some pics of my pilgrimage.. :thumbs:

Cheers.
I was there in August. It's very nice. It's hard to find. When I was there, there was scaffolding all over the block so I missed the sign For Iwan Ries the first time I passed it. Mrs. King didn't know why we were this far down from our hotel and I didn't tell her. Instead, on the way back, I said, "Let's walk on the opposite side of the street so that we can see the side we walked by before better."

You take the elevator up to Iwan Ries sanctum sanctorum and it really is like something you've only seen in a movie. Everyone was very nice. No one on staff seemed fatigued from all the look-loos who probably just come to gawk and then complain that everything is too expensive.

Mrs. King patiently walked with me around the shop until I started to take too long but, early in our circumambulation, she pointed out a blue metal pipe on the wall. "That looks like a pipe you should have," Mrs. King said. It was a Nording Compass. "I have that model in red. You've just never seen it. It's a really good pipe, and, you're right: it suits me."

Go. The one house blend I wanted, they didn't have. It's my nature to be attracted to the least popular thing possible. That's why I love PSF. It is totally worth a visit and, for Pete's sake, buy something. They need to stay in business!
Whalehead King

Whalehead King wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 3:51 pm
Chef Benny wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 12:15 am So.. I just got married on Saturday.. And I am enjoying my honeymoon in Chicago. I know that the Iwan Ries store is here. The wife is super cool.. She said I can go check it out, as long as she can go shopping at Bloomingdales...lol

Anyway.. Has anyone ever been there? Is there anything I must get when I'm there? I have never tried any of their blends.. But if you guys have any recommendations.. I would much appreciate it.

I will post some pics of my pilgrimage.. :thumbs:

Cheers.
I was there in August. It's very nice. It's hard to find. When I was there, there was scaffolding all over the block so I missed the sign For Iwan Ries the first time I passed it. Mrs. King didn't know why we were this far down from our hotel and I didn't tell her. Instead, on the way back, I said, "Let's walk on the opposite side of the street so that we can see the side we walked by before better."

You take the elevator up to Iwan Ries sanctum sanctorum and it really is like something you've only seen in a movie. Everyone was very nice. No one on staff seemed fatigued from all the look-loos who probably just come to gawk and then complain that everything is too expensive.

Mrs. King patiently walked with me around the shop until I started to take too long but, early in our circumambulation, she pointed out a blue metal pipe on the wall. "That looks like a pipe you should have," Mrs. King said. It was a Nording Compass. "I have that model in red. You've just never seen it. It's a really good pipe, and, you're right: it suits me."

Go. The one house blend I wanted, they didn't have. It's my nature to be attracted to the least popular thing possible. That's why I love PSF. It is totally worth a visit and, for Pete's sake, buy something. They need to stay in business!
I see you went and you bought something. Right on!

It's the epitome of what a pipe shop should be. It's better than L.J. Piretti, even----and I love Piretti's.
MikeDennison
Certified Codger

Chef Benny wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 3:11 am
MikeDennison wrote: Mon Oct 21, 2019 12:41 pm
I ate! .. The Trifecta.. Deep dish.. Polish dogs.. And the Italian beef sandwich!
Nomnomnom!
"I realized I had the gift of seeming to know more than I actually did." -A.J. Cronin-