Deep Penetration

Dr Uhaha
Member in Very Good Standing

It doesn't bother me a great deal (I have enough tobacco), but for some reason, unless I am smoking one of a few very dry OTCs, I always have a bit of dottle at the bottom of most bowls. Unless I am in the mood for a little tongue bite (sometimes it is okay), I generally don't pursue this last bean of tobacco, but I am wondering if this is a common occurrence among more seasoned smoker? Am I doing it wrong? Going too fast?
Houtenziel
Codger in Training

Wow.. talk about clickbait :lol:
I don't worry about the dottle. Like you said, if I am smoking PA, SWR, CH, anything like that I usually end in ash. Natural Virginia blends will tend to burn to ash for me too. Kitchen sink blends tend to leave the most dottle, or sometimes it's just raining like usual and even my usual OTC will swamp out in the last 1/4. I am not gonna stress about a couple cents worth of tobacco that has done it's duty as a natural filter.
“To educate a person in the mind but not in morals is to educate a menace to society.”
― Theodore Roosevelt
Tsal
Forum Decorum

I always have a few dry crumbs at the bottom, I either directly reload or dump. I never really thought it was something to think about.
The Troll Whisperer
Middle Earth

I never smoke to the bitter-end
There, I said it

For me there always comes a point where the experience goes sideways and I punt
With prejudice

BTW the thread title seems like a cry for help
Dr Uhaha
Member in Very Good Standing

Middle Earth wrote: Sat Nov 23, 2019 10:01 pm I never smoke to the bitter-end
There, I said it
I'm with you, brother. The end is nasty. Most of the time I just puff my way through until my tongue tells me otherwise.

I posted this query because I read all this crazy stuff online about smoking methods. Seriously beginning to think that ~25%+ of pipe makers and tobacco sellers may not even be smokers. A lot of current material on the subject of pipe smoking appears to be purely academic.
Chef Benny
Codger in Training

I never drink the last 1/4 inch of a beer.. Warm and gross.. Same goes for my bowls. Even stogies I go a little past the band.. But I don't nub em out. Give me a piece of cheese cake though.. And I will lick the freakin plate!
~ Tobacco is part of a complete breakfast.
Fr_Tom
Chaplain

I am one of those guys who usually just smokes to the bottom of the bowl. Sometimes I get a sizzle or two in the last couple of puffs. I don't think I have much dottle as a rule, but maybe that is a function of the things I smoke?
"Prov'dence don't fire no blank ca'tridges, boys" Roughing It, Mark Twain

Old Ted Award - 2017
simplepipes
Codger in Training

I smoke to the bottom and generally with no bitter end . . . only dump ash.

-sp
My vote has not been bought . . . I paid for my Undergraduate and Graduate Degrees . . .
Fr_Tom
Chaplain

houtenziel wrote: Sat Nov 23, 2019 8:50 pm I am not gonna stress about a couple cents worth of tobacco...
Gets a nervous twitch at the thought...
"Prov'dence don't fire no blank ca'tridges, boys" Roughing It, Mark Twain

Old Ted Award - 2017
whitebriar

Usually it depends on what I'm smoking..I don't mind leaving a bit of dottle, but like the Padre, i get twitchy if it's too much..

I must confess, sometimes i load just a quarter bowl and smoke it down just to dry things a bit, and also build up more heel cake..since it's rather fresh tobacco it still tastes pretty good.....I've been told that's weird<<smile>>