Retrohaling AKA Snorking

Try Cob

unregistered2 wrote: Sat Dec 07, 2019 1:49 pm
Mr Beardsley wrote: Sat Dec 07, 2019 1:22 pm
Middle Earth wrote: Sat Dec 07, 2019 12:43 pm

I listened to records when that was all we had aside from reel-to-reel tape
And tube amps
Sold off a huge record collection
I occasionally cry over the never played import Jimi Hendrix records that went away
Then tubes and vinyl came back
I am sticking to an even bigger CD collection
Less space
My ears cannot discern the difference between digital and analog
Too much shooting
My ears are shot (too many years of loud) and I've refused to dive down the tube driven rabbit hole (I have a horribly addictive personality) I have a huge collection of music on my little pioneer media player for my truck (lossless files, balanced output cable, custom built amplifiers because I'm "that guy") Home is relatively simple with the listening setup doing duty as a home theater as well, all solid state until we move out of CA and buy a house somewhere. Then there's a good chance of a dive into the rabbit hole again
Surfing the web looking for PCB layouts for the pre-amp and power tubes you want to use, etching your own in ferric chloride, getting super anal about what caps and diodes you are using for no rational reason.. then deciding the PCB layout you have isn't right for the chassis you want to use so you download and learn Eagle so you can re-layout the PCB to fit the chassis.. Then debating on your layout vs. the more traditional hand wired approach... It sounds like you are "that guy".. you might as well just give in and do it.
Seems several here are "that guy." I suspected it all along. Other than a couple simple kits, I never rolled my own, nor wanted to... nor was I much into rolling tubes, when I used them. I no longer enjoy tweaking or futzing with the gear - have very good solid state, set it and forget it is how I roll. Grew up on vinyl, of course - always a Thorens man - but lack the ability to get up and down so often - files, streaming and FM are my primary sources.

As for retro-haling, I find I must approach OJK with caution, due to nictingling.
Forget the past for it no more holds sway;
forget the future once you thought so bright
francisco61

I was happy to discover that I can retrohale a lot with a pipe...it can be a little strong sometimes with cigars.