Pipe makers we may or may not have heard of!?

Kevin Keith
Grand Poobah

Bruyere_Royale wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 7:19 pm
Kevin Keith wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 7:15 pm
Bruyere_Royale wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 7:06 pm Yeah he was around all the time when he first signed on then trickled down but he was there weekly posting pipes.
I remember him pretty well. I had a couple of exchanges with him in a couple of posts, both about Texas and Mexico if I recall.
Nice guy. [mention]Fr_Tom[/mention] has one. I just went to his web page and he is still taking orders and making pipes.
I would imagine his prices have gone up a lot, it's been years... he was a nice guy but his pipe style never peaked my interest.
I bet they have gone up. I'm not into his styles either, and the "standard" shapes he does can be had cheaper elsewhere. A $250 billiard vs a Vittoria $45 billiard...no contest to me.
FJB
Vote Trump 2024!
MikeDennison
Certified Codger

Fr_Tom wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 7:23 pm
Bruyere_Royale wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 7:06 pm Yeah he was around all the time when he first signed on then trickled down but he was there weekly posting pipes.
I remember him pretty well. I had a couple of exchanges with him in a couple of posts, both about Texas and Mexico if I recall.
Nice guy. [mention]Fr_Tom[/mention] has one. I just went to his web page and he is still taking orders and making pipes.
I have a Perkins and it is a very nice pipe.

That's a beauty, Padre...a real beauty.
"I realized I had the gift of seeming to know more than I actually did." -A.J. Cronin-
MikeDennison
Certified Codger

Kevin Keith wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 7:24 pm
I would imagine his prices have gone up a lot, it's been years... he was a nice guy but his pipe style never peaked my interest.
I bet they have gone up. I'm not into his styles either, and the "standard" shapes he does can be had cheaper elsewhere. A $250 billiard vs a Vittoria $45 billiard...no contest to me.
I think his website said they start at $185...so that's a bit pricier than I remember from a few years ago.
"I realized I had the gift of seeming to know more than I actually did." -A.J. Cronin-
Tsal
Forum Decorum

Agreed and I've learned from experience. I still go for the occasional 150 but that's my cap these days and they are few and far between apart from the Hackert scenario.
The Troll Whisperer
Kevin Keith
Grand Poobah

MikeDennison wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 7:34 pm
Bruyere_Royale wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 7:19 pm I would imagine his prices have gone up a lot, it's been years... he was a nice guy but his pipe style never peaked my interest.
I think his website said they start at $185...so that's a bit pricier than I remember from a few years ago.
And, you know, the guys that got that kind of cabbage to put into a pipe, more power to 'em!
FJB
Vote Trump 2024!
Fr_Tom
Chaplain

Kevin Keith wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 8:02 pm
And, you know, the guys that got that kind of cabbage to put into a pipe, more power to 'em. I ain't no hater!
Lest you think I went crazy for 5 minutes at some point in the past, I got a set of pipes including an Altinok, the Perkins, a Vermont morta, etc. for significantly less than $185.
"Prov'dence don't fire no blank ca'tridges, boys" Roughing It, Mark Twain

Old Ted Award - 2017
rekamepip
Codger in Training

Bruyere_Royale wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 7:06 pm
rekamepip wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 7:00 pm
Houtenziel wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 6:54 pm pipemaker... *cough* [mention]rekamepip[/mention] *cough*
Haven’t made enough pipes to retire yet
so soon as I get my garage set up I’ll be back at it !
But for now I’m still hanging out at mom’s house providing full time care for her
Sending some positive vibes her way! You can always make pipes in the kitchen.
Thanks She needs all of the good vibes she can get !!! 92 years old and still at home but only moving a few inches per step
I am blessed and happy that I can be here for her
Middle Earth

Frank Thunder Pipes
Morta Commission

Jlando19

Just spoke to my buddy about his pipe making endeavors. These are all up for grabs. @griskaknives on Instagram if you guys like something you see.
"Good enough" is a false idol. Beware those that preach its virtue.
Citizen B
Raconteur Extraordinaire

Kevin Keith wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 8:02 pm
And, you know, the guys that got that kind of cabbage to put into a pipe, more power to 'em!
I don't like to spend too much on a pipe. Buyer's remorse. I bought a $125 dollar pipe and I smoked it while I was walking my dog after the pipe had arrived in the mail. The dog pulled when he saw the mailman and the pipe fell out of my mouth. The acrylic stem shattered. Great. That was real great. I don't blame the U.S. Postal Service. USPS is the backbone of the nation.

I should have gone with a Grabow, or a Medico, or a Yello-Bole. I could have been smoking a cob for a fraction of the price and I wouldn't have caused even a dime's worth of damage. Instead, I was stuck with a worthless Butz Choquin. 50 bucks is the most I'll pay for a pipe nowadays. I'm not running an art gallery on my pipe rack, it's a tool box.
-- The Rhinestone Dandy.