Pipe grips

Ray Mackessy
Man About Town

I boil my Softie Bits in water every month and replace them once a year, but recently been thinking about going back to the latex surgical tubing (3/8") that I buy from Lowe's. The Softie Bits can be off tasting after awhile, even after boiling.
pipelover
Broken Pipe

I thought about what you all said. I'm not a pipe clencher, but here goes.
I used to be a childrens entertainer, and I found a couple of modelling balloons.
A quick snip, and it fitted perfectly !
Never give a sucker an even break ..... W.C. Fields
MikeDennison
Certified Codger

pipelover wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 10:46 am I thought about what you all said. I'm not a pipe clencher, but here goes.
I used to be a childrens entertainer, and I found a couple of modelling balloons.
Any funky taste?
"I realized I had the gift of seeming to know more than I actually did." -A.J. Cronin-
Kevin Keith
Grand Poobah

MikeDennison wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 12:06 pm
pipelover wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 10:46 am I thought about what you all said. I'm not a pipe clencher, but here goes.
Any funky taste?
No but he does keep trying to twist his pipe into animal shapes and funny hats!

FJB
Vote Trump 2024!
Citizen B
Raconteur Extraordinaire

Entertaining children with balloons is an under-rated and under-respected profession. What would the world be without happy children and the magic of imagination?

It makes sense that a balloon's width of balloon material is enough to protect your teeth. That's all it needs. I like the idea. I have a bag of balloons around here somewhere. I'm going to give it try on my clay pipes. Balloon bits will come in handy in Claypril.

I know you're not talking about Mylar balloons. I think most balloons nowadays are made to synthetic latex. Can you comment on what balloon's are made of and what we should watch out for when we are purchasing them. Latex is the basically naturally occurring sap from a rubber tree from what I understand while modern balloons are made of a petroleum-based product.

For all I know, rubber isn't very sturdy unless it's been vulcanized, as in tires, but I don't think they use vulcanized rubber to make balloons and I don't think I need a vulcanized pipe bit----wait a minute, never mind what I just said. What kind of balloon do you recommend?
-- The Rhinestone Dandy.
pipelover
Broken Pipe

Hello Padre,
I used Qualtex 360's mainly. (A USA standard). There is no taste from the added grip. I just wanted to protect the vulcanite grip as it was worn a bit (!) when I got the pipe.
After cutting a 3 - 3.5 centimetre / 1/2 inch piece, I used a pair of scissors to widen the balloon piece so it slipped over the stem. Then you can double it back, or just use the thickness as it is. The length can obviously be smaller or longer as required.
Never give a sucker an even break ..... W.C. Fields
MikeDennison
Certified Codger

pipelover wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 3:45 am Hello Padre,
I used Qualtex 360's mainly. (A USA standard). There is no taste from the added grip. I just wanted to protect the vulcanite grip as it was worn a bit (!) when I got the pipe.
After cutting a 3 - 3.5 centimetre / 1/2 inch piece, I used a pair of scissors to widen the balloon piece so it slipped over the stem. Then you can double it back, or just use the thickness as it is. The length can obviously be smaller or longer as required.
That's a creative solution, sir! I'm glad it's workin' for ya. :D
"I realized I had the gift of seeming to know more than I actually did." -A.J. Cronin-
MikeDennison
Certified Codger

Kevin Keith wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 5:09 pm
MikeDennison wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 12:06 pm
Any funky taste?
No but he does keep trying to twist his pipe into animal shapes and funny hats!

:D