Pipe Smoking Rules (for newbies)

Jooste

Regards,

Jooste
Cape Town, South Africa
Dr Uhaha
Member in Very Good Standing

#8 hits home for me.

My last supervisor was a hypochondriac pretend-cougher. He would literally begin coughing if he saw someone on a sidewalk smoking while he was in his car with the windows up (this actually happened while we were going somewhere).

He was so nuts about it that on multiple occasions he took the time to ask for the managers of restaurants and convenience stores to acquaint them with city ordinances regarding distance of cigarette butt receptacles from the doors of their businesses.

Guy had no lung ailments, knew no one with lung diseases, he just got it in his mind that this was a minority he could police/persecute and he enjoyed doing so.
Jlando19

Dr Uhaha wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 11:07 am #8 hits home for me.

My last supervisor was a hypochondriac pretend-cougher. He would literally begin coughing if he saw someone on a sidewalk smoking while he was in his car with the windows up (this actually happened while we were going somewhere).

He was so nuts about it that on multiple occasions he took the time to ask for the managers of restaurants and convenience stores to acquaint them with city ordinances regarding distance of cigarette butt receptacles from the doors of their businesses.

Guy had no lung ailments, knew no one with lung diseases, he just got it in his mind that this was a minority he could police/persecute and he enjoyed doing so.
The worst types.
"Good enough" is a false idol. Beware those that preach its virtue.
Houtenziel
Codger in Training

#7 made me laugh. My kids know that if dad starts raising his voice and pointing with the stem of his pipe, hell is coming for breakfast.
“To educate a person in the mind but not in morals is to educate a menace to society.”
― Theodore Roosevelt
Jooste

Houtenziel wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 11:56 am #7 made me laugh. My kids know that if dad starts raising his voice and pointing with the stem of his pipe, hell is coming for breakfast.
🤣
Regards,

Jooste
Cape Town, South Africa
Wildcat
Codger in Training

Houtenziel wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 11:56 am #7 made me laugh. My kids know that if dad starts raising his voice and pointing with the stem of his pipe, hell is coming for breakfast.
I wonder if "blame Wildcat" will become a theme here? - Fr_Tom
Citizen B
Raconteur Extraordinaire

#13.

I'm usually the only person wearing a suit and tie so I get asked legal and financial questions by default in barrooms.

Wearing a suit and tie doesn't get me much respect with pipe smokers, and for good reason. Anyone can put on a suit (though not everyone can finesse a double dimple under a Windsor knot).

I didn't notice an uptick in reverence for my opinions when I had a beard, but my shaving it off had nothing to do with how I was treated. I shaved it off when I visited my mother and, everywhere we went, everyone would say to her, "I didn't know you had a brother." I chose to not look 20 years older than I am, no matter how dashing I imagined my beard made me look.

I do wear eyeglasses, but not on PSF because I wear glasses to see far away. When I read the newspaper, I do wear a monocle though. Half credit, perhaps.
-- The Rhinestone Dandy.
MikeDennison
Certified Codger

I'm partial to #14. I can do that! :lol:
"I realized I had the gift of seeming to know more than I actually did." -A.J. Cronin-
pipelover
Broken Pipe

Well, I always said, if you dress suitably (Jeans, a Hawaiian shirt, sunglasses & mismatching flip flops) and have a pipe, you are to be admired,
from afar or close up ?
Never give a sucker an even break ..... W.C. Fields
pipelover
Broken Pipe

I encountere a secret cougher the other day. I was in our village, standing near the bus stop.

I don't normally light up and blow smoke over a non believer. It's my choice to enjoy my pipe, so I would normally keep down wind.

The lady in question made all the noises, and under the breath comments.
I was OUTSIDE the shelter, so I paced up and down, with clouds of smoke !

Hope she enjoyed my sharing !
Never give a sucker an even break ..... W.C. Fields