What's the second light called?

Thelonious monkfish
Codger in Training

Houtenziel wrote: Sat Jan 02, 2021 6:34 pm
Thelonious monkfish wrote: Fri Jan 01, 2021 5:03 pm Have you tried skipping straight to just lighting the bowl? One match burns sufficient time for creation of an ember
Was gonna say.. just skip all that charring light/true light nonsense and hit it with a match full force. This ain't a cigar, no need to toast it first. I get why lighter people do it though, since they don't seem to ignite tobacco as efficiently as burning wood.
Maybe that's why the concept seems so foreign to me, I only use matches and by the time one is halfway burned the bowl is more than going steady.
Riff89

I guess it’s called a true light. It’s interesting that we pipe smokers have fancy names for stuff like this. My friends who smoke out of glass pipes just say “spark up a bowl” or “fire one up” maybe that’s why they cough so much? Maybe they aren’t following all the rules to truly enjoy their pipe smoking!?!? Their blend smells horrible and it’s green so it’s definitely not aged or cured properly either.
arturo7
Member in Good Standing

Wildcat wrote: Sat Jan 02, 2021 6:24 pm Ask a kid, my cousins and I would run around the woods and orchards playing Revolutionary War with copper pipe and bottle rockets . The pipes were our flintlocks and the bottle rockets were our ammo. Remember, no head shots, so aim for the head!
We used wiffle ball bats
ever forward
Jlando19

I call it the, "crap it went out light. "
"Good enough" is a false idol. Beware those that preach its virtue.
Fr_Tom
Chaplain

FWIW, I often think of the reaction from my father if he had been told about something like a charring light. He would have a look of slightly pained disgust. I mean if it doesn't get lit correctly, you have to do it again. Ritualizing the process would just not be something a sensible person would do.
"Prov'dence don't fire no blank ca'tridges, boys" Roughing It, Mark Twain

Old Ted Award - 2017
CoreyR
Founding Member

I use my zippo, I light my pipe, I don't worry about it. Perhaps I am not as refined as some of you city folks?