Pipe + Beer = Bletch

Citizen B
Raconteur Extraordinaire

Spruce Beer.

Think about it. It tastes like pine trees. I've had and I've liked it. Spruce beer would go well with a pipe packed with aro like M79, a robust cherry blend, SWRA (of course), or a rum blend or 1Q. I'm sure it would go well with English blends, too.
-- The Rhinestone Dandy.
Bamarick

Kevin Keith wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 9:37 am It's hart to beat coffee or iced tea/ice water (lots of ice).
For me Picayune demands a tall glass of Ice Water, the more ice the better.
American by birth, Southern by the grace of God!

ROLL TIDE ROLL!!
Puff nstuff

I've had beer with my pipe a few times and enjoyed it. I tend to smoke at night, which is when I also want a malty sweetish or darker beer that doesn't have a strong hop presence - something like an English pale or brown ale, a strong ale or milk stout, or a heavier German beer such as a schwarzen, bock, or double bock. I think for a beer to work with a pipe or cigar it's gotta be something along these lines. Even a Negra Modelo works.
The dryness or astringency associated with pilsners, lagers, IPAs, or even a dry dark beer such as porter won't compliment the flavor or counteract the alkalinity of tobacco very well. It would be like having a bone dry white wine while eating steamed artichoke - a clash of flavors that just don't work well together. :buddy:

Cheers!
Because sometimes the body just wants canned fish. 🦪
Citizen B
Raconteur Extraordinaire

Puff nstuff wrote: Sun Jun 27, 2021 9:14 pm It would be like having a bone dry white wine while eating steamed artichoke - a clash of flavors that just don't work well together. :buddy:
Well, yeah, when you put it like that, but there's got to be sauce, not just a plain steamed artichoke. Hunger makes the best sauce, of course. I'll eat anything when I'm hungry. Even when I'm not hungry, some nice bordelaise sauce would make even a plain steamed artichoke be a stairway to heaven. Look at what a good bordelaise does to filet mignon. https://labelleesplanade.com/blog/how-t ... w-orleans/. I rarely smoke a pipe while I'm eating, but I could see how taking a break to enjoy a mid-prandial smoke would help digestion and enhance the enjoyment of the meal. I drank Peroni beer during my four-hour lunch and I didn't bring my pipe. I should have. Peroni and a pipe are nice.

I like a dry white wine paired with a rich burley blend aro, something from Lane or from Iwan Ries or from Piretti. Call me crazy but I think the more flavor-forward the topping on a burley blend, the better it pairs (or clashes, as the case may be) with it's opposite, delivering a smoking interlude that may not be repeated but surely should be enjoyed while it's happening. The burley ties the whole experience together and puts a bow on it. YMMV.
-- The Rhinestone Dandy.
Ruffinogold
The Mayor

Id have to agree that beer and a pipe isn't the top of my list . I like bourbon After the pipe but not during so much ... but its better than beer . Cigars seem to be better with alcohol for me , especially a cigar and cognac [ Remy Martin 1738 ] .. not the cheap shit cognac .

Coffee , of course , is always fantastic with pipe or cigar . I like a Winston with my beer and thats not even very good
" I believe adventure is nothing but a romantic name for trouble " L.L.
Hawkwood

Beer before smoking works well. During not so much. I don't usually drink anything while smoking but if I do it's Islay Whisky.
Dr Uhaha
Member in Very Good Standing

Bamarick wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 6:39 pm
Kevin Keith wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 9:37 am It's hart to beat coffee or iced tea/ice water (lots of ice).
The first time I smoked Picayune it hit my nose like smelling salts and I had to sit down. I've still got a pound of it sealed away to lure @Fr_Tom to a meetup after he runs out in a few years. :lol:
Fr_Tom
Chaplain

Dr Uhaha wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 11:30 am
The first time I smoked Picayune it hit my nose like smelling salts and I had to sit down. I've still got a pound of it sealed away to lure @Fr_Tom to a meetup after he runs out in a few years. :lol:
Ha - that would lure me out of my bunker.
"Prov'dence don't fire no blank ca'tridges, boys" Roughing It, Mark Twain

Old Ted Award - 2017
Bamarick

Dr Uhaha wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 11:30 am
Yessir, sitting down before lighting up a bowl is well advised. My Great grandmother smoked a clay pipe using tobacco grown by Great Grandpa. I imagine it's similar to what she smoked. Dad did tell me that she smoked her pipe while she sat in her rocker :lol:
American by birth, Southern by the grace of God!

ROLL TIDE ROLL!!
Puff nstuff

News Flash: VaPer and Lost Coast tangerine wheat beer work pretty well together. What a blessing after a few hot hours working on the lift system for my pop-up trailer!
:)
Because sometimes the body just wants canned fish. 🦪