Filters

karaolos

Apologies if this has been discussed recently.

I think pipe filters tend to be a topic of debate with passionate advocates on both sides. I have the impression that most US and UK smokers don't use any filters, and that some if not most European smokers do.

I made my decision on filters very early on. My first pipe took a filter but I ended up not using one - maybe because I was getting moisture in the pipe from a bad aromatic and couldn't pass a pipe cleaner, I don't remember...

Recently I was having some tongue bite from a specific blend. It was all I had to smoke while my tobacco order was making its way to me. I can find 9mm filters locally and I have a couple of pipes that take them. So I gave it a shot...

My observations were that I lost maybe 15% in body/taste of the tobacco, but tongue bite was reduced considerably. At least I could enjoy a decent smoke with minimal tongue bite. A viable solution. So now I have more choices - the filter works on some occasions.

My questions for you:
When did you decide on filters? Would you reconsider? Why / why not?
Wildcat
Codger in Training

Never really used them, maybe a handful of times years ago. Sometimes I think about using them and don't follow thru.
I wonder if "blame Wildcat" will become a theme here? - Fr_Tom
Jlando19

I use them in all of the pipes I have that take them except my SavinelliTortuga.That one really seemed to build up moisture with the balsa wood filters it came with. No real rhyme or reason other than they help keep the stem a little cleaner. I haven't noticed a loss of taste in any of them.
"Good enough" is a false idol. Beware those that preach its virtue.
arturo7
Member in Good Standing

I use them. My nic tolerance isn't what it used to be. The paper and charcoal filters work great.
ever forward
Mr Beardsley
Founding Member

Tried them. Hated them. Binned them. Won't buy pipes that are bored for them. Other than that, they're OK I guess.
“If you try to fail, and succeed, which have you done?” - George Carlin
Lostdog5152
Member in Good Standing

I don't use them myself. I tried them a few times. I also take the stinger out in pipes that have them. Anything that restricts airflow just gets in the way.
Fr_Tom
Chaplain

I have tried them but don't care for them.
"Prov'dence don't fire no blank ca'tridges, boys" Roughing It, Mark Twain

Old Ted Award - 2017
Kevin Keith
Grand Poobah

I have a ton of them, but i don't use them except in cobs...sometimes.
FJB
Vote Trump 2024!
Citizen B
Raconteur Extraordinaire

Oh, don't apologize for bringing the topic up again. There are few things we like to discuss here more. Filters are a perennial topic and they haven't been brought up recently. You have perfect timing.

I'm a big filter fan. I love them. I use Medico filters for my drug store pipes. For my European pipes, I use Dr. Perl Jr. charcoal filters. For my Nording whatever-it-is-called pipe, I have those volcanic pipe stones.

A pipe doesn't NEED a filter but, if a pipe is outfitted to take a filter, I use a filter when I have one. I trust the guys who engineered the pipe to deliver the optimal smoke so I use it as intended. I'm the same way with metal pipes and with clays.
-- The Rhinestone Dandy.
karaolos

Jlando19 wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 9:10 pm I use them in all of the pipes I have that take them except my SavinelliTortuga.That one really seemed to build up moisture with the balsa wood filters it came with. No real rhyme or reason other than they help keep the stem a little cleaner. I haven't noticed a loss of taste in any of them.
When smoking the same blend in a filtered vs unfiltered pipe, have you noticed any other differences?

Citizen B wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 6:41 pm Oh, don't apologize for bringing the topic up again. There are few things we like to discuss here more. Filters are a perennial topic and they haven't been brought up recently. You have perfect timing.

I'm a big filter fan. I love them. I use Medico filters for my drug store pipes. For my European pipes, I use Dr. Perl Jr. charcoal filters. For my Nording whatever-it-is-called pipe, I have those volcanic pipe stones.

A pipe doesn't NEED a filter but, if a pipe is outfitted to take a filter, I use a filter when I have one. I trust the guys who engineered the pipe to deliver the optimal smoke so I use it as intended. I'm the same way with metal pipes and with clays.
Timing is everything!

Dr. Perl Jr. charcoal is what I use as well for 9mm filters. Do you use the falcon rings inside the bottom of the bowl? I found that I was condensing moisture for some reason when using them...
Do you notice particular differences between filter systems / unfiltered?

If the filter is catching anything, there must be some differences in some sense.