Filters

Jlando19

karaolos wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 6:55 pm
Jlando19 wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 9:10 pm I use them in all of the pipes I have that take them except my SavinelliTortuga.That one really seemed to build up moisture with the balsa wood filters it came with. No real rhyme or reason other than they help keep the stem a little cleaner. I haven't noticed a loss of taste in any of them.
When smoking the same blend in a filtered vs unfiltered pipe, have you noticed any other differences?
Either I don't notice a difference or I haven't been paying attention. I would say that maybe it seems to give the affect that some blends burn cooler when filtered. I'll make a conscious effort to note the details next time I grab a filtered pipe.
"Good enough" is a false idol. Beware those that preach its virtue.
Citizen B
Raconteur Extraordinaire

karaolos wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 6:55 pm ...
Do you notice particular differences between filter systems / unfiltered?

If the filter is catching anything, there must be some differences in some sense...
I don't notice any smoking difference. The filters catch a lot of gunk but as far as flavor or whatnot, no, it is all the same to me. I like filtered pipes' routine and the results of having a filter. It is more about routine and extra complications for me. I love extra routine and complications. These are the things that make my days move forward in an interestingly predictable way.

The tongue in my mouth is as sensitive as the tongue in my shoe. My sophisticated palette may as well be covered with dried oil paint.

I just like filters and gimmicks. I'm that kind of pipe smoker and I am proud of it. One briar is as good as another for me. I am always looking for the next Best Thing.
-- The Rhinestone Dandy.
karaolos

Citizen B wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 4:09 pm I don't notice any smoking difference. The filters catch a lot of gunk but as far as flavor or whatnot, no, it is all the same to me. I like filtered pipes' routine and the results of having a filter. It is more about routine and extra complications for me. I love extra routine and complications. These are the things that make my days move forward in an interestingly predictable way.

The tongue in my mouth is as sensitive as the tongue in my shoe. My sophisticated palette may as well be covered with dried oil paint.

I just like filters and gimmicks. I'm that kind of pipe smoker and I am proud of it. One briar is as good as another for me. I am always looking for the next Best Thing.
I understand completely. However, I admit that my vision is to "retire" this craziness to an old school "single pipe with a single blend everyday" sort of situation. Maybe one day a single blend with a couple of pipes to rotate will be all I need... maybe.
Citizen B
Raconteur Extraordinaire

karaolos wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 4:57 pm
Citizen B wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 4:09 pm I don't notice any smoking difference. The filters catch a lot of gunk but as far as flavor or whatnot, no, it is all the same to me. I like filtered pipes' routine and the results of having a filter. It is more about routine and extra complications for me. I love extra routine and complications. These are the things that make my days move forward in an interestingly predictable way.

I understand completely. However, I admit that my vision is to "retire" this craziness to an old school "single pipe with a single blend everyday" sort of situation. Maybe one day a single blend with a couple of pipes to rotate will be all I need... maybe.
That's totally doable. You'll save yourself a lot of headaches and a lot of useless comparison shopping.

Pick what you like and stick with it. That's what I do until I change my mind, which happens less often than I let on. I am a creature of habit and I love the pipe(s) in my regular rotation and I love Super-Value tobacco----it doesn't matter what flavor of Super-Value. They all taste similar to me and they're all good in a filtered or unfiltered pipe. Learn how a pipe works and smoke the heck out of that pipe. It will be a good and reliable friend for a long time, I guarantee.
-- The Rhinestone Dandy.
Wildcat
Codger in Training

Citizen B wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 5:33 pm Pick what you like and stick with it... I am a creature of habit and I love the pipe(s) in my regular rotation and I love "X" tobacco... Learn how a pipe works and smoke the heck out of that pipe. It will be a good and reliable friend for a long time, I guarantee.
:thumbs:
I wonder if "blame Wildcat" will become a theme here? - Fr_Tom
Citizen B
Raconteur Extraordinaire

Some people like filters. Other people don't.
-- The Rhinestone Dandy.
Wildcat
Codger in Training

Citizen B wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 8:29 pm Image

Some people like filters. Other people don't.
I'll tell you what, I'll take this groups word for it! Lloyd's mustache identifies him as honest and forthright. Henry's a pharmacist and that Naomi is the real Mcoy! I'm sold!
I wonder if "blame Wildcat" will become a theme here? - Fr_Tom
karaolos

Citizen B wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 8:29 pm Some people like filters. Other people don't.
That's for sure...

Mostly I was surprised to see my opinion change on the matter. Thinking of trading some unfiltered for filtered pipes...
Citizen B
Raconteur Extraordinaire

karaolos wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 3:07 pm
Citizen B wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 8:29 pm Some people like filters. Other people don't.
That's for sure...

Mostly I was surprised to see my opinion change on the matter. Thinking of trading some unfiltered for filtered pipes...
-- The Rhinestone Dandy.