What Makes a Pipe Gurgle??

Citizen B
Raconteur Extraordinaire

I've got my own theories about what makes a pipe gurgle, and I modify my technique accordingly, but sometimes, a pipe just starts to gurgle. Its not always a bad thing.

What make a pipe gurgle?

Should we avoid a gurgle, or, is it true that sometimes a gurgle adds to the flavor of a smoke? I know I allow a gurgle until it gets to be too much. I can't say how I know that. Someone here must have standard of when to allow a gurgle in a bowl and when to kill it.

What are the downsides of gurgling in a pipe?
-- The Rhinestone Dandy.
Ruffinogold
The Mayor

Gurgle gremlins
" I believe adventure is nothing but a romantic name for trouble " L.L.
Riff89

Maybe we have been missing out by swabbing the gurgle. It could work like a water pipe for filtering the nasty out of the smoke. I try and flick it out before it gets too bad but nothing works better than a pipe cleaner IMO.
Citizen B
Raconteur Extraordinaire

I posted this question for newer members who may have the same question but are afraid to ask.
-- The Rhinestone Dandy.
rekamepip
Codger in Training

Citizen B wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 5:53 pm
What make a pipe gurgle?

Should we avoid a gurgle, or, is it true that sometimes ......
You could probably take that gurgling pipe down the street and round the corner to the lady that deals with premonitions and such
For a few bucks she’d probably cast a spell and be done with the gurgle until the spell wears off
😁
Jlando19

I get gurgle when I clench too long with my head tilted down. I look in a more upward position when it gets annoying and it goes away. Science and a change of scenery in one swift motion.
"Good enough" is a false idol. Beware those that preach its virtue.
Tsal
Forum Decorum

A poorly engineered pipe, moist hot tobacco or quick on the draw are usually the culprits. A turbulent airway can make a pipe gurgle in a jiffy.
The Troll Whisperer
Citizen B
Raconteur Extraordinaire

Bruyere_Royale wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 7:20 pm A poorly engineered pipe, moist hot tobacco or quick on the draw are usually the culprits. A turbulent airway can make a pipe gurgle in a jiffy.
It's never the smoker.
-- The Rhinestone Dandy.
Tsal
Forum Decorum

Citizen B wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 7:28 pm
Bruyere_Royale wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 7:20 pm A poorly engineered pipe, moist hot tobacco or quick on the draw are usually the culprits. A turbulent airway can make a pipe gurgle in a jiffy.
It's never the smoker.
Never. I just throw out the bad pipes.
The Troll Whisperer
arturo7
Member in Good Standing

Ruffinogold wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 6:07 pm Gurgle gremlins
Absolutely. Little mischievous bastards!

NOTE: Guess I've never before typed the above used M word. I've always spoken the work with 4 syllables, not 3. Damn. Now I feel like a bonehead.
ever forward