Mrs. Mary L. Guess

Dr Uhaha
Member in Very Good Standing

A few years ago I bought this original press photo of Mrs. Guess (1854-1973) on eBay, and occasionally I look at it and wonder.

Kevin Keith
Grand Poobah

She had a good run!
FJB
Vote Trump 2024!
Lostdog5152
Member in Good Standing

I get a warm feeling in my heart when I see something like this. This woman has probably buried all her immediate family and all her old friends. She still has the simple pleasure of smoking her cob pipe in a nursing home while she waits for God to make up his mind. A small pleasure she would be denied today without a doubt.
Citizen B
Raconteur Extraordinaire

The title of this post caught my eye, as one would expect, and, when I clicked on it I was expecting a total disappointment. You delivered the goods, @Dr Uhaha . Women used to smoke pipes and we forget that.

I'm not talking about some soft core MacBaren ad, I'm talking about real women, with life experience----the kind of women who raised families and were the backbone of this great country we call home. Making history by living history.

I was going to say I tip my fedora to Mrs. Mary Guess, but she deserves something less flippant. A moment of silence. I pray she rests in peace. She made out day a little bit better here and I am grateful for that. She died when I was just shy of five months old.

Carry the torch.
-- The Rhinestone Dandy.