Packing too tight/loose.

rlucas

I was told once that a properly packed piped should be like sipping through a straw. Is this correct?
My plan to learn how to pack my pipe:
1: pipe and ch and favorite cold beverage with straw
2: pack pipe and test draw
3: sip beverage and compare if equal or close
4: light pipe and enjoy if close
5: dump and try again if not.
Is this a good or bad plan?
This post by rlucas liked by (total 3):
Lostdog5152Middle EarthCitizen B
"Talk low, talk slow and don't talk too much." John Wayne
Wildcat

I codger scoop/fill. For me, I don't over think things. For me your process above would take the enjoyment out of it. Again, that's me. Hopefully @Fr_Tom and @Kevin Keith will chime in. I think I've followed their advice and tastes over the years more than anyone here. Be patient and enjoy the ride.
This post by Wildcat liked by (total 6):
Lostdog5152Kevin KeithMiddle EarthCitizen Bfingallrlucas
I wonder if "blame Wildcat" will become a theme here? - Fr_Tom
May you always have the kind of sorrows that will be drowned in a glass of water.... Water and a machine made cigar. - Citizen B
Fr_Tom
Chaplain

I would not overthink it either. You get a feel for it, but that is a matter of practice. A really thin cut that is dry like Picayune or Kendal Kentucky, I pack pretty firmly. A garden variety chopped ribbon gets the codger scoop and a "good" thumb at the end. A blend that is too moist is REALLY easy to pack too tightly. I think the springiness is not there or something. When in doubt, looser is better. Right now I would guess this cob I am smoking has less draw resistance than sipping on a straw, but I don't have the side-by-side comparison. I am right at the end of a pound back of Double Down though, and it is fairly dry and chunky.

When in doubt my counsel is that looser is better than too tight.
This post by Fr_Tom liked by (total 7):
MaynardLostdog5152Kevin KeithWildcatMiddle EarthCitizen Bfingall
"Prov'dence don't fire no blank ca'tridges, boys" Roughing It, Mark Twain

Old Ted Award - 2017
Lostdog5152

You do get a feel for it. Like Fr=Tom said, looser is usually better. You can always tamp it down if too loose. A hard pack is difficult to deal with unless you stir it up with a pipe tool or something similar.
This post by Lostdog5152 liked by (total 4):
WildcatMiddle EarthCitizen Bfingall
Middle Earth

I do not like to restrict the draft
But that is my opinion for me
What@Lostdog5152
Said
This post by Middle Earth liked by (total 5):
WildcatCitizen BfingallLostdog5152Fr_Tom
Ruffinogold
The Mayor

I don't know if I jive with the straw thing .

You mention Carter hall . It's a great no brainer blend and just all around damn good . I think the thing I'd recommend is go both ways to find what's right ( that sounded odd) . But what I mean is , fill loose ... super quick bowl , probably kinda warm to hot .. but without any issue to light and keep lit . Too tight ... just a total drag , gurgle maybe , sour , won't stay lit etc ...

Play with a blend and find it's middle ground , I mean especially a favorite . But I assume a blend is a favorite because it's one that's been figured .

There's a " general " filling for most blends to a point . I haven't given much thought to filling in decades until someone mentioned cannon ball method or some other method I never usec
This post by Ruffinogold liked by (total 4):
WildcatrlucasFr_TomMiddle Earth
" Ya don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows " 13th apostle
rlucas

Ruffinogold wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 6:01 pm I don't know if I jive with the straw thing .

You mention Carter hall . It's a great no brainer blend and just all around damn good . I think the thing I'd recommend is go both ways to find what's right ( that sounded odd) . But what I mean is , fill loose ... super quick bowl , probably kinda warm to hot .. but without any issue to light and keep lit . Too tight ... just a total drag , gurgle maybe , sour , won't stay lit etc ...

Play with a blend and find it's middle ground , I mean especially a favorite . But I assume a blend is a favorite because it's one that's been figured .

There's a " general " filling for most blends to a point . I haven't given much thought to filling in decades until someone mentioned cannon ball method or some other method I never usec
Yea, I played around with it this past weekend a little. Think I figured it out. We shall see. Ordered some tobacco as well. Hopefully I can stay away from from the tongue bite.
This post by rlucas liked by (total 3):
Fr_TomMiddle EarthRuffinogold
"Talk low, talk slow and don't talk too much." John Wayne
CoreyR
Founding Member

Different tobaccos = different packing. I cannot really describe how I do it, I ust work off of the "feel" of the tobacco I am loading. I reckon it, kinda, grew on me, the ability to know the tobaccos that is.
This post by CoreyR liked by (total 2):
Middle Earthrlucas