The future of pipe smoking

Houtenziel
Codger in Training

Sorry.. wall-o-text.

While I 100% agree with the sentiment above.. Green still reigns in a world of red and blue. Historically speaking, prohibition of things has not worked out well for our country. It tends to have this effect where suddenly the prohibited item goes underground/blackmarket, and then the government has no control over it.. can't make any money off of it, etc. The more negative press guns get, tobacco gets, etc, the more interest they seem to drive towards acquisition. Look at guns.. those radical democrats have been the best gun salesmen in history. There is this weird thing that seems to be ingrained in Americans, and it's probably what makes us as awesome as we are.. The more someone screams about me not having something I have a right to, the more vigorously I want to maintain that right, regardless of if I actually will use it. Be it guns, tobacco, or something grander like a states legislative independence from the federal government.
Now media wants us all to think this isn't the case and people like us are vastly in the minority.. but then go pull up the NICS history.. Go talk to any gun dealer in your area and they will surely tell you many occasions recently where someone comes in and says "Normally I wouldn't have anything to do with guns, but I want to buy a gun". Because of the sheer number of first time buyers in our area, a lot of the gun stores were offering a free firearms safety course with the purchase of any firearm.

I know this has nothing to do with pipe tobacco, but it sort speaks to what I mean.
It should be noted that the true number of guns sold across the country is likely higher than what NICS figures suggest. The data does not include private gun sales in most states or cases where a carry permit is used. These are alternatives to the background check requirements of the 1994 Brady law and allow the transfer of a firearm over the counter by a federal firearms license holder without first performing a NICS check. Over 20 states accept personal concealed carry permits or licenses as Brady exemptions.
The same buying scares happen with tobacco, with the same level of fervor that you see with guns.. Look at how fast tobacco got scooped up from every conceivable outlet when there was even a whiff of rumor that it might get the axe due to FDA deeming. And with every scare, Smoking Pipes adds a new wing on to their growing pipe empire.. The sheer number of new blends popping up is hard to keep up with, and it seems any hipster kid who's dad has a woodshop is trying to cash in making "artisan" pipes that look like genitalia.

Still though.. go buy a gun and some tobacco. You should be doing that anyway. :D
“To educate a person in the mind but not in morals is to educate a menace to society.”
― Theodore Roosevelt
Wildcat
Codger in Training

We should constantly remind ourselves that the liberal, progressive, anti-American, anti-gun, anti-tobacco, anti-life rhetoric is produced by a relatively small number of fools. Sadly the flatulent noise they make is repeated often and louder by mainstream media, CrapBook and Shitter (which are all "state media") to magnify it, which they do very well... If we allow them.

Be prepared, not scared.
I wonder if "blame Wildcat" will become a theme here? - Fr_Tom
Dr Uhaha
Member in Very Good Standing

I have a lot to say on this topic, and others raised, but I'm afraid to open the dam. In brief: Simple pleasures help complex lives feel like they are worth living. Tobacco is not going away.
Wildcat
Codger in Training

Dr Uhaha wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 1:51 pm I have a lot to say on this topic, and others raised, but I'm afraid to open the dam. In brief: Simple pleasures help complex lives feel like they are worth living. Tobacco is not going away.
Huxley's pleasure vs Orwell's punishment.
I wonder if "blame Wildcat" will become a theme here? - Fr_Tom
Ruffinogold
The Mayor

It depends . Its never a bad idea to stock up . You can stock up for any reason you want . Fact is , its not gonna get cheaper .
" I believe adventure is nothing but a romantic name for trouble " L.L.
ironclad

I can buy guns and tobacco all day long but it's hard to buy ammo anymore. I have been out of .45LC so long I'm trying to remember what it looks like!
Mischief managed.
Pepik

One indicator of "where is the future of pipe smoking heading to" is to watch who are the consignment buyers appearing at the pipe show that (hopefully) we'll see more of going into next year.

Watching the bulk purchasing going on at the 2017-2019 CPCC/Chicago pipe shows - we saw a great deal of Pan Asian purchases rooted from a desire to cater to a marketplace of buyers seeking novel and new experiences. If there's one common theme with pipe smoking enjoyment is the entire experience it provides - tactile, ritual, and sensory all wrapped into one. Add social contact and it becomes an event or even "moot" if you consider that in your vocab.

With a hopeful transition out of the mess that 2020 into 2021 has been for us, I suspect that experiences will come back into play. What will spur on new attachment of hobbyists will be general awareness, "education" (or at least coaching), and a ready supply of affordable pipes (check), artisanal pipes (I know there's a few more pipemakers returning to the art), and delectable 'baccy.

I see a bright future for the hobby. It's going to take time to understand how such things as supply chain (materials for pipe manufacture, 'baccy) and consumer demand materialize in a measurable way.