The non method of pipe smoking ( for newbies )

OtooleFan

Great post! Lot of good things in here--for me, one of the best is testing the draw before you light up. I don't have too much trouble packing (smoke mainly PA) but something as simple as this is a great habit to get into, especially when you're smoking a blend you don't routinely smoke. More than once I've lit up or tried to light up my usual blend, only to find my pipe is completely or halfway obstructed lol...

Good to see you again, Ruff! Always enjoy your writings, musings... ---Don
Kevin Keith
Grand Poobah

OtooleFan wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 7:47 pm Great post! Lot of good things in here--for me, one of the best is testing the draw before you light up. I don't have too much trouble packing (smoke mainly PA) but something as simple as this is a great habit to get into, especially when you're smoking a blend you don't routinely smoke. More than once I've lit up or tried to light up my usual blend, only to find my pipe is completely or halfway obstructed lol...

Good to see you again, Ruff! Always enjoy your writings, musings... ---Don
Hi Don, you probably don’t remember me, but I remember you from PSF 1.0. Welcome !
FJB
Vote Trump 2024!
OtooleFan

Hi! I thought your avatar looked familiar, but it had been awhile. Thanks!
Ruffinogold
The Mayor

OtooleFan wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 10:37 pm Hi! I thought your avatar looked familiar, but it had been awhile. Thanks!
Glad to see you , sir
" I believe adventure is nothing but a romantic name for trouble " L.L.
Kevin Keith
Grand Poobah

Ruffinogold wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 6:09 pm It alwsys helps to do the newbie incantation before a bowl light , when you're first starting out ...

I wanna smoke ya right now
I'm not in the mood to fight
So flame to bowl
Light ya bastid , light
lol
FJB
Vote Trump 2024!
Demosthenes

Ruffinogold, very good post, I remember you from the original PSF. Yes I see you still mention Sir Walter Aromatic, and yes I still smoke it religiously. I have tried so may tobaccos in my 10 years of pipe smoking, but always go back to SWRA. I am a little strange, I smoke the same pipe all day and often. I had 2 Hardcastle 9 mm rhodesians that lasted me 5 years, one for when I am at work, the other for home use. I just purchased 2 Rattray rhodesians a little smaller (also 9mm filter) these are working out great. So I have found my tobacco and pipe shape that suits me. Thank you as well as others who were always so patient with us newbies, Snake was awesome, as well as everyone I had contact with. Yes SWRA really is a "Chick Magnet" they always ask what it is and want to smell it rather than run from the smoke.
Ruffinogold
The Mayor

Demosthenes wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 8:12 pm Ruffinogold, very good post, I remember you from the original PSF. Yes I see you still mention Sir Walter Aromatic, and yes I still smoke it religiously. I have tried so may tobaccos in my 10 years of pipe smoking, but always go back to SWRA. I am a little strange, I smoke the same pipe all day and often. I had 2 Hardcastle 9 mm rhodesians that lasted me 5 years, one for when I am at work, the other for home use. I just purchased 2 Rattray rhodesians a little smaller (also 9mm filter) these are working out great. So I have found my tobacco and pipe shape that suits me. Thank you as well as others who were always so patient with us newbies, Snake was awesome, as well as everyone I had contact with. Yes SWRA really is a "Chick Magnet" they always ask what it is and want to smell it rather than run from the smoke.
Snake is a great guy ! I wish he were here . Glad to have you aboard :)
" I believe adventure is nothing but a romantic name for trouble " L.L.
Riff89

My grandfather on my mother’s side is the one who got me to start smoking a pipe. When I came back to visit him after reading all kinds of stuff on forums about this method and that method etc and told him pipe smoking was complicated he just couldn’t wrap his head around it. He said so colorfully “ I don’t see what’s so goddamn hard about it for Christ’s sake you put the tobacco in the big end put your mouth on the little end and you smoke the goddamn thing Eee calice Tabernak.” the point was made stop making it harder than it has to be. He never fussed over doing it right, he codger scoops from a tub of half and half exclusively and owns two pipes one cob and one briar (grabow), he will re light as many times as he has to he tamps with whatever he has handy which is always his pointer finger and he doesn’t give a rats ass about having a sublime life altering experience. He’s one of the working class pipe smokers from the old days, ya see pipe smoking isn’t exclusively for the refined smoking jacket wearing fancy pants room crowd it can be for the simpleton like you and I if we don’t over think it to death.
Searock Fan

The "Catch 22" for newbies. You're not sure you'll like pipe smoking so for your first pipe you don't want to spend much and buy the cheapest you can. If you like it you'll buy a better one later. Naturally it smokes like crap so you give up pipes. If you had bought a good pipe to start with you might have liked it, but you didn't so..... and on and on.
Fr_Tom
Chaplain

Searock Fan wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 1:39 pm The "Catch 22" for newbies. You're not sure you'll like pipe smoking so for your first pipe you don't want to spend much and buy the cheapest you can. If you like it you'll buy a better one later. Naturally it smokes like crap so you give up pipes. If you had bought a good pipe to start with you might have liked it, but you didn't so..... and on and on.
Basket pipes are a little hit or miss. It is hard to go wrong with a cob as the first pipe!
"Prov'dence don't fire no blank ca'tridges, boys" Roughing It, Mark Twain

Old Ted Award - 2017