Newbie from Ohio

Tsal
Forum Decorum

Welcome to PSF and thank you for your service!
The Troll Whisperer
Wildcat
Codger in Training

Silver wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 10:26 pm Welcome from Michigan. I'm the kind of smoker who likes to dry my tobacco a bit. Even then, I re-light as necessary, and don't worry about it. And thanks to all of you who've served our country.
Thank you. Army here.
I wonder if "blame Wildcat" will become a theme here? - Fr_Tom
Marine3313

Awesome and thanks for all the relays. I’m just gonna take my time and try and enjoy it. I’m gonna try and get a nice freehand pipe. Looks bigger than what I’m smoking now. Maybe that will get me to pack it better who knows. Also the ones who Dey out their tobacco, if I try and dry mine out how long until it goes stale or loose it’s flavor?
Ruffinogold
The Mayor

Marine3313 wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 3:50 pm Awesome and thanks for all the relays. I’m just gonna take my time and try and enjoy it. I’m gonna try and get a nice freehand pipe. Looks bigger than what I’m smoking now. Maybe that will get me to pack it better who knows. Also the ones who Dey out their tobacco, if I try and dry mine out how long until it goes stale or loose it’s flavor?
Kinda depends on the blendcand how much pg humidifier is added to it , along with the humidity where you're at .

Subtropical... its gonna take a while
A desert .. it ain't gonna take long

If a blend is humidified, like say a black Cavendish, for the most part, it could take days
If it has very little humidcant , it could be an hour or two +

As far as flavor getting wiped out , it depends on tbe blend .

A good bet is to keep pipe tobacco in a mason jar . If you're feeling sporty , you could dry a blend to where you want it , then jar it at that point , which will maintain that humidity for a damn good while
" I believe adventure is nothing but a romantic name for trouble " L.L.
Marine3313

Thanks again for all the reply’s? Is there a place on this Fourm that one can get pipes from members who no longer use them like a pay it forward or even a sales section? I’m trying to get a freehand pipe or even a horn shaped pipe? I’m thinking maybe something with a bigger bowl will be better for newbie to learn to fill a pipe bowl. Thanks again all.
Kevin Keith
Grand Poobah

Marine3313 wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 11:41 am Thanks again for all the reply’s? Is there a place on this Fourm that one can get pipes from members who no longer use them like a pay it forward or even a sales section? I’m trying to get a freehand pipe or even a horn shaped pipe? I’m thinking maybe something with a bigger bowl will be better for newbie to learn to fill a pipe bowl. Thanks again all.
viewforum.php?f=15
Check out the Trading Post for sales, give aways, etc. What are you liking besides freehands/horns (kinda rare around here)? I could probably send you something you'd be happy with. Welcome to PSF
FJB
Vote Trump 2024!
Marine3313

Thank you Kevin Keith! I’m thinking something with a little bigger bowl. I think that might help me as far as loading up the pipe. I would appreciate anything. I will check out those other posts as well thank you. I sent you a PM Kevin. Thanks again.
BriarPipeNYC

Hello, and welcome. Be vexed, no more. You're no different than most of us. We ALL went thru the learning experience and the worst thing you can do is give up even though you might be frustrated. The learning curve might take awhile, but you will eventually reach your own private pipe-smoker's Nirvana.

First, imo, read everything and ask questions. Even better....watch all the video-tutorials posted on You-Tube. The videos show how to: select a pipe.... load a pipe... smoke a pipe... clean a pipe.... enjoy smoking your pipe.

At this point I would urge you to buy only small sample-packets or small amounts of those mixtures that you think you might enjoy smoking. "Samplers" and smaller amounts are usually sold by most of the big tobacco retailers. Find those retailers that will sell you bulk-blends by the ounce. Buy samples for both the Aromatics and the English blends. Eventually you will zero in on the types of mixtures that you prefer.

Enjoy the ride....but don't give up!
sisyphus
Person of Interest

welcome!
I hope our names are touching on the watch list
Marine3313

Thanks all. Not gonna quit. I like the idea of buying small samples and such. Question. I thought my pipe was done so I dumped it out but there was still unsmoked tobacco in the bottom. Do I save that or just dump out as well? Does the shape of pipe affect its flavor?