Honeymoon Pit Stop

Chef Benny
Codger in Training

So.. I just got married on Saturday.. And I am enjoying my honeymoon in Chicago. I know that the Iwan Ries store is here. The wife is super cool.. She said I can go check it out, as long as she can go shopping at Bloomingdales...lol

Anyway.. Has anyone ever been there? Is there anything I must get when I'm there? I have never tried any of their blends.. But if you guys have any recommendations.. I would much appreciate it.

I will post some pics of my pilgrimage.. :thumbs:

Cheers.
~ Tobacco is part of a complete breakfast.
Fr_Tom
Chaplain

I have never been there, but I should go before leaving the Midwest. I will look forward to the report.

Congrats on the wedding! I hope it was the event you intended.
"Prov'dence don't fire no blank ca'tridges, boys" Roughing It, Mark Twain

Old Ted Award - 2017
Kevin Keith
Grand Poobah

Chef Benny wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 12:15 am So.. I just got married on Saturday.. And I am enjoying my honeymoon in Chicago. I know that the Iwan Ries store is here. The wife is super cool.. She said I can go check it out, as long as she can go shopping at Bloomingdales...lol

Anyway.. Has anyone ever been there? Is there anything I must get when I'm there? I have never tried any of their blends.. But if you guys have any recommendations.. I would much appreciate it.

Cheers.
I've never been to Bloomingdale's. You should go though. Two Chicago locations too. I bet they have elevator operators...I don't know that but it seems like they should. "Tenth floor! House paints, fireplace tools, latrine shovels, and ladies lingerie!"

If you have a chance you should check out the pipe place too. :thumbs:
FJB
Vote Trump 2024!
Houtenziel
Codger in Training

Chef Benny wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 12:15 am So.. I just got married on Saturday.. And I am enjoying my honeymoon in Chicago. I know that the Iwan Ries store is here. The wife is super cool.. She said I can go check it out, as long as she can go shopping at Bloomingdales...lol

Cheers.
Congrats! At Iwan Ries, they have a blend called Old Colonial that I really enjoy a lot. It's an oldschool blend that Ruff turned me on to.
Here is the description:
"Made with a healthy base of toasted burley and bright Virginia flake. Black cavendish, perique and latakia are then added to round out the flavor. Topped with just a hint of vanilla flavoring, Old Colonial is an exceptionally light aromatic and sure to please a variety of smokers."

My wife really liked the way it smelled too. Maybe too much.. :lol:
“To educate a person in the mind but not in morals is to educate a menace to society.”
― Theodore Roosevelt
Mr Beardsley
Founding Member

Congrats on the marriage! Go to bloomies, go to iwan, go to portillos. Combination sammich, hot peppers, gravy on the side
“If you try to fail, and succeed, which have you done?” - George Carlin
Ronv69
Founding Member

Congratulations! I recommend that you forget all about the tobacco shop on this trip. You want to set the stage for the rest of your life.
God and Texas!
avid

houtenziel wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 10:19 am

Cheers.
Congrats! At Iwan Ries, they have a blend called Old Colonial that I really enjoy a lot. It's an oldschool blend that Ruff turned me on to.
Here is the description:
"Made with a healthy base of toasted burley and bright Virginia flake. Black cavendish, perique and latakia are then added to round out the flavor. Topped with just a hint of vanilla flavoring, Old Colonial is an exceptionally light aromatic and sure to please a variety of smokers."

My wife really liked the way it smelled too. Maybe too much.. :lol:
that does sound good
insufferable filter guy
avid

Cheers.
Congratulations...many happy returns...
insufferable filter guy
MikeDennison
Certified Codger

Congratulations!
"I realized I had the gift of seeming to know more than I actually did." -A.J. Cronin-
Chef Benny
Codger in Training

So! First off.. Thank-you everyone for the congratulations and the suggestions.. I didn't go to Iwan Ries yet, but I was in old town Chicago today and I just happened to walk by a quaint little stogie shop. I popped in and asked for the pipe baccy.. The guy pointed and when I saw these baby's I freaked out. Like a diamond in the rough. $20 per tin.. Not bad!

I also took @Mr. Beardsley advice and I Portilloed my face! With an Italian beef Sammy.

Life is good!
~ Tobacco is part of a complete breakfast.