What Are You Smoking September 2020

Houtenziel
Codger in Training

Fr_Tom wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 3:07 am
Houtenziel wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 7:05 pm
Bamarick wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 6:36 pm

Is that the finish bubbling? I have 5 "modern" Grabows, but that's not happened to any of them.
Yessir. I know at least Fr_Tom, and Steamboat have both had this happen to them with a Grabow, so I am not totally insane.
Basically I was just doing my normal thing, and all the sudden the finish bubbles. The pipe wasn't overheated, and had survived at least 6-7 bowls prior to this happening. I think this has to do with there still being moisture in the briar when it's lacquered, and when it heats up a few times, the moisture reaches the surface and bubbles the lacquer.
I have had a variety of Grabows - new and old - over the years. Exactly one did the bubbly finish thing, and it was a Dublin.
I actually did go back and try to find the thread to make sure I just hadn't imagined it to make myself feel better. I think yours was the exact same shape as mine.
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=302
“To educate a person in the mind but not in morals is to educate a menace to society.”
― Theodore Roosevelt
Middle Earth

simplepipes wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 7:02 pm Image

ME: Picture of the Layton Bing when new five years past . . . smokes great and very well made.

I do not like that Clark will o longer accept commissions.

-sp
Thank you for posting that
What a beauty

I did not know that he quit doing commissions
I did one with him and he was great to work with
I see his pipes are now in the $400s plus
So I'm glad I got in when I did
Houtenziel
Codger in Training

Dr Uhaha wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 10:57 pm More DTYM Virginia in a Custombilt.

Someone is having a lot of fun with photoshop lately... :lol: Keep it up.. more like this last one..
“To educate a person in the mind but not in morals is to educate a menace to society.”
― Theodore Roosevelt
Kevin Keith
Grand Poobah

LC Natty VaBur in an extra large Dr Grabow Golden Duke billiard. I really enjoy the rough edges on this tobacco. I bought 5 ibs a couple of years ago and it hasn't really mellowed much at all. It has a great bitter burley bite and good hit of Queen Nikoteen.
FJB
Vote Trump 2024!
Middle Earth

Carolina Red Flake in a Zulu
Kevin Keith
Grand Poobah

Middle Earth wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 8:54 am Carolina Red Flake in a Zulu
Nice one! I really like a Dublin pipe, reminds me of those pics of Tolkien smoking that broke down, poor-ass author/teacher lookin' pipe! Yours is much nicer of course!
FJB
Vote Trump 2024!
simplepipes
Codger in Training

Middle Earth wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 8:47 am
simplepipes wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 7:02 pm Image

ME: Picture of the Layton Bing when new five years past . . . smokes great and very well made.

I do not like that Clark will no longer accept commissions.

-sp
Thank you for posting that
What a beauty

I did not know that he quit doing commissions
I did one with him and he was great to work with
I see his pipes are now in the $400s plus
So I'm glad I got in when I did
ME: I had reached out to him after this pipe and was informed he was not taking commissions. I am not certain what his position is today but have decided to move on.

It seems many makers today have moved on to "Organic Shapes" or returned to the Danish Freehand Style of the late 60's and early 70's both of which do nothing for me. Didn't like them then . . . don't like them now.

-sp
My vote has not been bought . . . I paid for my Undergraduate and Graduate Degrees . . .
Tennessee Dave

Sir Walter Raleigh Aromatic in a Bjarne pot.
Kevin Keith
Grand Poobah

simplepipes wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 9:37 am
ME: ...or returned to the Danish Freehand Style of the late 60's and early 70's both of which do nothing for me. Didn't like them then . . . don't like them now.

-sp
Those wacky Danish freehands fit right in when the guys were wearing these kinds of duds! Where's the volume knob? lol
FJB
Vote Trump 2024!
Kevin Keith
Grand Poobah

More LCVB in this Golden Deuce
FJB
Vote Trump 2024!