What Are You Smoking April 2019

Mr Beardsley
Founding Member

Finally done running all over town and it's break time. Smoking the last of my sample of Stanwell St. Andrew's mixture from the 70's (looked back through my messages to find the picture of the tin). It's in my favorite rhodey and I'm catching up on my water intake
“If you try to fail, and succeed, which have you done?” - George Carlin
Bamarick

PA with a double pinch of SP Vanilla in the Crown.

American by birth, Southern by the grace of God!

ROLL TIDE ROLL!!
Houtenziel
Codger in Training

houtenziel wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 2:59 pm Houtencake in the same Grand Duke.
So about 6 months or so ago, I bought a couple Dr. G's and after 4-5 smokes the finishes suddenly blistered and bubbled. Just now the Grand Duke I was smoking did the same thing.. totally cool bowl, then all the sudden bubbles in the finish. I think this is happening because the briar has moisture in it and the heat from smoking is driving it out. Because the bowls are finished in impermeable lacquer, the steam pockets that would normally pass from a waxed pipe gets trapped and blisters. It bubbled so badly that the side of the pipe's finish pretty much just delaminated and peeled right off in one big chunk..

So I guess I get to bust out the acetone and see if I can't salvage this one without breaking my elbow sanding.
“To educate a person in the mind but not in morals is to educate a menace to society.”
― Theodore Roosevelt
Thelonious monkfish
Codger in Training

houtenziel wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 5:03 pm
So about 6 months or so ago, I bought a couple Dr. G's and after 4-5 smokes the finishes suddenly blistered and bubbled. Just now the Grand Duke I was smoking did the same thing.. totally cool bowl, then all the sudden bubbles in the finish. I think this is happening because the briar has moisture in it and the heat from smoking is driving it out. Because the bowls are finished in impermeable lacquer, the steam pockets that would normally pass from a waxed pipe gets trapped and blisters. It bubbled so badly that the side of the pipe's finish pretty much just delaminated and peeled right off in one big chunk..

So I guess I get to bust out the acetone and see if I can't salvage this one without breaking my elbow sanding.
Does it only come off with Acetone? They should be shellac and removable with alcohol, usually the old, older, ones had that lacquer/varnish that no solvent I know of will break down, at least without dissolving the bowl as well.
rekamepip
Codger in Training

steaks ribs and shrimp is a smokin

ODF in an unmentionable pipe
Fr_Tom
Chaplain

Last bowl of Double Down in the Rob Roy for the day - heading home...
"Prov'dence don't fire no blank ca'tridges, boys" Roughing It, Mark Twain

Old Ted Award - 2017
Thelonious monkfish
Codger in Training

rekamepip wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 5:24 pm steaks ribs and shrimp is a smokin

ODF in an unmentionable pipe
We don't talk about those!
Islayphile
Member in Good Standing

FVF, Invicta Rhodesian, diet Dew

Houtenziel
Codger in Training

Thelonious monkfish wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 5:09 pm
houtenziel wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 5:03 pm

Does it only come off with Acetone? They should be shellac and removable with alcohol, usually the old, older, ones had that lacquer/varnish that no solvent I know of will break down, at least without dissolving the bowl as well.
It wasn't coming off with alcohol at all. I even doused em down pretty good, still no dice. Acetone did cut right through it like butter. Didn't even lift the finish(stain) either, which was cool. Decided since I was doing one, I might as well do both, so I just threw them on the buffer wheels and laid on some carnauba.

Last edited by Houtenziel on Wed Apr 17, 2019 6:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“To educate a person in the mind but not in morals is to educate a menace to society.”
― Theodore Roosevelt
Fr_Tom
Chaplain

OJK in a '67 Dunhill ODA 841

"Prov'dence don't fire no blank ca'tridges, boys" Roughing It, Mark Twain

Old Ted Award - 2017