Opinions on Filters

Houtenziel
Codger in Training

avid wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2019 7:33 pm they're a necessity
Curious to hear from you, as a filter guy, your non-filtered experience. How exactly is your experience better with vs. without. Is it bite, moisture, flavor? A combo of all three? What is your filter of choice?

(In an effort to see if I can tempt avid into writing more than one snarky sentence :lol: )
“To educate a person in the mind but not in morals is to educate a menace to society.”
― Theodore Roosevelt
Mr Beardsley
Founding Member

Don't like them. Got rid of all of my pipes that took 9mm filters and only kept a few that hold 6mm (which I smoke without a filter) I'm not entirely sure why I soured on them so fast but I did
“If you try to fail, and succeed, which have you done?” - George Carlin
avid

houtenziel wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2019 8:14 pm
Curious to hear from you, as a filter guy, your non-filtered experience. How exactly is your experience better with vs. without. Is it bite, moisture, flavor? A combo of all three? What is your filter of choice?

(In an effort to see if I can tempt avid into writing more than one snarky sentence :lol: )
i've never smoked a bowl that was not filtered, insufferable... ;)

do have the habit of burning hot, so a little help there, plus like the idea of the filter grabbing any substance that doesn't enhance flavor, at least there is flavor enough with the filter.

i go through a lot of Medico's, then Sav balsa, Dr. Grabow. would like another 9 mil pipe to keep things interesting
insufferable filter guy
Wilderness Pipe

avid wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2019 8:45 pm
houtenziel wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2019 8:14 pm

i've never smoked a bowl that was not filtered, insufferable... ;)

do have the habit of burning hot, so a little help there, plus like the idea of the filter grabbing any substance that doesn't enhance flavor, at least there is flavor enough with the filter.

i go through a lot of Medico's, then Sav balsa, Dr. Grabow. would like another 9 mil pipe to keep things interesting
I use Dr. Perls (sounds more like a name for a dentist lol) and stanwell's activated carbon filters. Once in a while I smoke with Meerschaum filters, but can't tell the different between too them much. I have a Vauen "Auenland" that I was thinking of trading. I posted it here in the trading section. Interested in a trade?
Preacher1611
Member in Good Standing

I'm another one in the "if it has a filter I use it, if it don't I don't" camp. Except M.M. cobs... I don't use a filter in them, they just don't seem to smoke as good with a filter.
avid

Preacher1611 wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2019 8:17 am I'm another one in the "if it has a filter I use it, if it don't I don't" camp. Except M.M. cobs... I don't use a filter in them, they just don't seem to smoke as good with a filter.
there ya go...the best smokes i get are with a filtered cob...! But, there are cobs that do not take them, and then the forever stems that don't take them, i'm sure other options...all good
insufferable filter guy
Houtenziel
Codger in Training

All this talk of filters.. If anyone has an old 9mm pipe kicking around that they want to set free for cheap/trade for unfiltered pipe, let me know. I want to perform an experiment on myself.. :shock:
“To educate a person in the mind but not in morals is to educate a menace to society.”
― Theodore Roosevelt
MikeDennison
Certified Codger

houtenziel wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2019 1:39 pm All this talk of filters.. If anyone has an old 9mm pipe kicking around that they want to set free for cheap/trade for unfiltered pipe, let me know. I want to perform an experiment on myself.. :shock:
I'm yer huckleberry! Got a few.
"I realized I had the gift of seeming to know more than I actually did." -A.J. Cronin-
MikeDennison
Certified Codger

And speaking of filters: when you guys use the 6mm paper filters, do you change then out after each bowl? If not, how many smokes will before you change it?
"I realized I had the gift of seeming to know more than I actually did." -A.J. Cronin-
Houtenziel
Codger in Training

MikeDennison wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2019 2:02 pm And speaking of filters: when you guys use the 6mm paper filters, do you change then out after each bowl? If not, how many smokes will before you change it?
I can usually get at least two good smokes from the Grabow ones. The third smoke usually tastes fine, but the draw starts getting tight from all the ash. Medico filters seem to have less wraps in the tube, so I usually only get one decent smoke from those.
― Theodore Roosevelt