Recommendations

JTWilliams
Member in Very Good Standing

What's a good "knockaround" pipe for having/leaving in the car without worrying much about it (in other words, something I can neglect without being riddled with guilt and self-recrimination)?
"Yeah, well, y'know, that's just like, uh, your opinion, man."
-The Big Lebowski
Houtenziel
Codger in Training

Get you a Missouri Meerschaum Legend! If not that, then snag a Dr. Grabow off WVsmokeshop. If those aren't your style, then Rossi Vittoria is very affordable.. and if you want French, you can look into low end Ropp over on HIpsterCentral (Smoking Pipes) for some cheaper but still totally awesome pipes.
“To educate a person in the mind but not in morals is to educate a menace to society.”
― Theodore Roosevelt
Dr Uhaha

JTWilliams wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2019 6:42 pm What's a good "knockaround" pipe for having/leaving in the car without worrying much about it (in other words, something I can neglect without being riddled with guilt and self-recrimination)?
If you are prone to guilt over simple pleasures I can't help you. If you just want something you can beat the crap out of and not care I recommend a vintage Brylon Medico, a new Dr. Grabow from Wally-world, or a Missouri Meerschaum corn cob pipe.

I've kept a Brylon Medico (sans filter) jammed into the dash of my truck for years - all seasons - and it doesn't care at all.
JTWilliams

I hadn't even considered MM. That's a great idea!
"Yeah, well, y'know, that's just like, uh, your opinion, man."
-The Big Lebowski
Ruffinogold
The Mayor

I can't add much ... a cob or a pipe from wvsmokeshop . Theu have some super stellar Medicos , Kaywoodie, Yello bole and others ... check out their wvsmokeshop pipes " brand " . Really , its a reasonbable site altogether
" I believe adventure is nothing but a romantic name for trouble " L.L.
Houtenziel
Codger in Training

Ruffinogold wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2019 8:10 pm I can't add much ... a cob or a pipe from wvsmokeshop . Theu have some super stellar Medicos , Kaywoodie, Yello bole and others ... check out their wvsmokeshop pipes " brand " . Really , its a reasonbable site altogether
Annnddd they are super cool people to deal with!
“To educate a person in the mind but not in morals is to educate a menace to society.”
― Theodore Roosevelt
Ruffinogold
The Mayor

houtenziel wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2019 8:27 pm
Ruffinogold wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2019 8:10 pm I can't add much ... a cob or a pipe from wvsmokeshop . Theu have some super stellar Medicos , Kaywoodie, Yello bole and others ... check out their wvsmokeshop pipes " brand " . Really , its a reasonbable site altogether

Yes they are :thumbs:
" I believe adventure is nothing but a romantic name for trouble " L.L.
Dr Uhaha

Ruffinogold wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2019 9:08 pm
houtenziel wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2019 8:27 pm

Yes they are :thumbs:
Just looked at their site for the first time and they have excellent prices. Nice.
Surlywill

Like everybody said a mm cob or Dr Grabow works great. My truck pipes are Dr grabow omega. I have a couple I picked up on eBay dirt cheap. The p lip stem just hangs rite for me while driving.
“ If A is a success in life, then A=X+Y+Z. Work is X; Y is play; and Z is keeping your mouth shut.”
- Albert Einstein
Fr_Tom
Chaplain

As an advantage to the cob, I find they do not need pipe cleaners at the rate of briars. Grabows are good all around too.
"Prov'dence don't fire no blank ca'tridges, boys" Roughing It, Mark Twain

Old Ted Award - 2017