Breaking in a Meerschaum

arturo7
Member in Good Standing

Just picked up a new block Meerschaum pipe. This is my first.

Any tips on breaking it in?
ever forward
Johnny
Member in Good Standing

Just smoke it. Doesn't require any break in period just a lot of smokes to make it color. Some people will say to not let it build any cake. I just use a piece of paper towel to clean the bowl after smoking
Thelonious monkfish
Codger in Training

Push it! Make that Meer yours, smoke it how and when you see fit. It's a mineral, they're hardier than often given credit, and you can always zip tie the damaged ones. I just keep my hands clean when handling them and run a cleaner now and again if I think it could use one. Mine are all caked and I like them that way. Will clean out residual bits/ash/soft cake with a q tip, usually after each smoke but I won't intentionally remove cake, just manicure it. Curious to know how you end up going about it.
Fr_Tom
Chaplain

I just smoke them like anything else. I have never done anything special with break-in. Mine cake up and get reamed. I will say the first few smokes sometimes taste like you are burning off a little wax or fingerprint oil that has gotten in the bowl. They improve with a few smokes.

In one of those things, I have typically found they thrive on certain blends. My Altinoks are really good with ODF. Picayune is a little pedestrian in the same pipes. This sort of thing is true in general, but I find it more pronounced with my meers.
"Prov'dence don't fire no blank ca'tridges, boys" Roughing It, Mark Twain

Old Ted Award - 2017