The abused love fest

Ruffinogold
The Mayor

A friend of mine , locally , got a bunch of falcon pipe bowls ands asked me to clean and polish them [ hint hint @Fr_Tom ] . Along with the bowls he got some other metal pipe stuff , one of which was this cracked bowl Grabow Viking . He doesnt want it but I cleaned it up anyway , smoked it and holy shit !! It is by far the best metal smoking pipe Ive tried . Better than the Falcon , Alco , and both Kaywoodies .
The bowl was so caked that you couldn't get a pinky finger in .. the carbon cracked the bowl on two sides , the shank was horrid etc ... in essence , completely broken and beyond . If I could thank the previous owner who abused the hell out of this thing , I would .

The Abused
You know the kind of pipe you see on ebay ... its so caked and nasty that no one wants them , for the most part . Thing is , they are really really truly broken in . Ive seen pipes in person that were so smoked that the interior type carbon was coming out the exterior of the bowl . Its like carbon from day 1 , 75 years ago , got pushed through the briar to the outside . After reaming and cleaning , the bowl weighed about nothing and smoked like God make it

It takes a good amount of work to bring a nasty abused to hell and back pipe back to life but sometimes itts totally worth it . Other times its totally not . Its a hit and miss thing , but when its a hit , its a trip

Im keeping this pipe in my truck and will be smoking it at work like a boss . I will smoke it until it explodes

" I believe adventure is nothing but a romantic name for trouble " L.L.
Fr_Tom
Chaplain

I do keep mine reamed because that cuts into bowl capacity. For the most part, I spend the time I could be cleaning them, smoking them instead.
"Prov'dence don't fire no blank ca'tridges, boys" Roughing It, Mark Twain

Old Ted Award - 2017
Ruffinogold
The Mayor

Fr_Tom wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 6:33 pm I do keep mine reamed because that cuts into bowl capacity. For the most part, I spend the time I could be cleaning them, smoking them instead.
Obviously :)
Lostdog5152
Member in Good Standing

We probably all have pipes like that. I know I do. As far as the Grabow Viking goes, you had a leg up from the start. You can scrub everything with water except the bowl. Let it cake to your hearts content and if it eventually explodes or goes up in flames you can screw in another bowl. I know an old gent that runs a booth at an oudoor flea market I frequent in the summer. He is constantly puffing away at Half & Half (I recognize the smell) and his old Grabow Viking looks like he has been lighting it with a blowtorch. Every year I expect either him or the pipe to be gone but they seem to be a permanent fixture. Maybe he's just breaking in that pipe for the next owner.
Ruffinogold
The Mayor

Lostdog5152 wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 2:27 am We probably all have pipes like that. I know I do. As far as the Grabow Viking goes, you had a leg up from the start. You can scrub everything with water except the bowl. Let it cake to your hearts content and if it eventually explodes or goes up in flames you can screw in another bowl. I know an old gent that runs a booth at an oudoor flea market I frequent in the summer. He is constantly puffing away at Half & Half (I recognize the smell) and his old Grabow Viking looks like he has been lighting it with a blowtorch. Every year I expect either him or the pipe to be gone but they seem to be a permanent fixture. Maybe he's just breaking in that pipe for the next owner.
He is ! Its great that pipes can out last us . I smoke the Viking at work today and it was wonderful

Surely you guys got some real beaters
Wildcat
Codger in Training

Grabow Vikings and CDLs rock!
I wonder if "blame Wildcat" will become a theme here? - Fr_Tom
Ruffinogold
The Mayor

Broke the stem inside the shank yesterday . Got the tenon out and will try a glue when I get back from work today
Wildcat
Codger in Training

Ruffinogold wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 6:07 am Broke the stem inside the shank yesterday . Got the tenon out and will try a glue when I get back from work today
Sparta may have replacement stems
I wonder if "blame Wildcat" will become a theme here? - Fr_Tom
Kevin Keith
Grand Poobah

Ruffinogold wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 6:07 am Broke the stem inside the shank yesterday . Got the tenon out and will try a glue when I get back from work today
I hate to hear that. Gluing might work.
FJB
Vote Trump 2024!