Looking for a large bowl churchwarden

S0l4N

I'm looking to buy a large bowl churchwarden.

I'm talking 1.9" or more depth and 1" or more diameter.

Anybody has any recommendations ?

Looked up online and the largest I found is at Smoking pipes Neerup: Classic Sandblasted Bent Apple Churchwarden

BriarPipeNYC

Size, matters... Longer, can be better. Since it's the Church-Warden's extra-long stem that functions as the qualifier, an alternative option:

Do you now own a meh pipe that fits your needs -as far as bowl-size is concerned? If, yes.....give it a more exciting, dual-life, by converting it! Yes....morph that pipe, and turn it into a Church-Warden of your dreams! Give your shrimpy, normal-length pipe.... the "little blue pill" treatment. Send "shorty" out to those talented guys who can magically cut, fit, and re-stem pipes. Convert your original, shorter pipe, into a longer, Church-Warden configuration, by having an extra stem made and fitted to your meh, pipe. Done. For just the price of a new stem, you can easily transform any of your conventional pipes into a longer-stemmed version of that same pipe....and.... you get to choose how long you want it to be. Stem sizes, can be quite variable.

I have done this a few times over the years. I've turned a few of my boring pipes into "Church-Wardens" by just by having an extra-long stem, custom made, for each. I like having options. However, one very important caveat to keep in mind when/if having the longer, church-warden stem made: Specify, and make sure the stem-maker does NOT remove any material from the original pipe's shank. The critical lock-up, the all important shank-stem interface on BOTH the original stem and the newly made church-warden stem, must be sized accurately, must be aligned, and must fit properly. If done skillfully, the longer, new CW stem, and the original, shorter stem, will interchange perfectly. In essence, you'll then have two-pipes-in-one. You'll be able to easily switch back and forth between the two stems. So, on those special occasions -when you wish that you had just a few more extra inches, don't come up short! Just twist in the longer stem, convert, and then smoke away to your heart's content.
Ruffinogold
The Mayor

S0l4N wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 8:58 pm I'm looking to buy a large bowl churchwarden.

I'm talking 1.9" or more depth and 1" or more diameter.

Anybody has any recommendations ?

Looked up online and the largest I found is at Smoking pipes Neerup: Classic Sandblasted Bent Apple Churchwarden

Thats an exceptional looking pipe .. snag it
" I believe adventure is nothing but a romantic name for trouble " L.L.
Citizen B
Raconteur Extraordinaire

BriarPipeNYC wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 7:32 am Size, matters... Longer, can be better. Since it's the Church-Warden's extra-long stem that functions as the qualifier, an alternative option:

Do you now own a meh pipe that fits your needs -as far as bowl-size is concerned? If, yes.....give it a more exciting, dual-life, by converting it! Yes....morph that pipe, and turn it into a Church-Warden of your dreams! Give your shrimpy, normal-length pipe.... the "little blue pill" treatment. Send "shorty" out to those talented guys who can magically cut, fit, and re-stem pipes. Convert your original, shorter pipe, into a longer, Church-Warden configuration, by having an extra stem made and fitted to your meh, pipe. Done. For just the price of a new stem, you can easily transform any of your conventional pipes into a longer-stemmed version of that same pipe....and.... you get to choose how long you want it to be. Stem sizes, can be quite variable.

I have done this a few times over the years. I've turned a few of my boring pipes into "Church-Wardens" by just by having an extra-long stem, custom made, for each. I like having options. However, one very important caveat to keep in mind when/if having the longer, church-warden stem made: Specify, and make sure the stem-maker does NOT remove any material from the original pipe's shank. The critical lock-up, the all important shank-stem interface on BOTH the original stem and the newly made church-warden stem, must be sized accurately, must be aligned, and must fit properly. If done skillfully, the longer, new CW stem, and the original, shorter stem, will interchange perfectly. In essence, you'll then have two-pipes-in-one. You'll be able to easily switch back and forth between the two stems. So, on those special occasions -when you wish that you had just a few more extra inches, don't come up short! Just twist in the longer stem, convert, and then smoke away to your heart's content.
What could an interested person expect to pay for a handcrafted churchwarden stem?
-- The Rhinestone Dandy.
BriarPipeNYC

Citizen B: I have no idea what repairmen might charge nowadays for making, or for fitting an alternate stem. I'm sure the rates that are charged, are very reasonable.

Making a stem, and, fitting a stem.... are two different jobs. "Fitting" a standard, blank-Vulcanite or an acrylic Church Warden stem to a pipe, should not be too difficult for any of the experienced, pipe repairers. Many pipe-repairers can do this job. Church Warden "blank" stems, made from molded Vulcanite, can be fit, and then there are the custom-made, hand-cut, Vulcanite and/or acrylic stems, which will definitely be more expensive. You'll have some options, here.

I wish I could direct you to a good repairman, but it's been many years since I had a few of my pipes converted, and the guy who worked on my pipes, is long gone. Over the years I enjoyed smoking these "converted" pipes, both ways. When I smoked my pipes using their longer stems, it added a little "novelty" to my boring vices. And, smoke didn't get in my eyes, either. Years ago, when I had the conversion work done, it was for the very same reasons that you now face. I also wanted some Church Wardens that sported larger bowls. Most CWs come with small-size bowls. So, after looking around and not finding what I needed....I had extra-long stems made for a few of my pipes that had larger bowls. I never regretted the decision....and I continued to smoke those pipes for years. The CW stems that were fitted to my pipes, were made from Vulcanite. At that time, I had no idea the acrylic stems existed, or were even available as an option. With proper care, either choice of stem material, will last a lifetime.

I am sure there are members -who post on this forum- that can give you suggestions regarding who could do the job of the making of an alternate stem. In fact, I am pretty sure some guys who do pipe-repairs..... are also posting on this forum.

Good luck.
S0l4N

I thought about fitting a long stem to a pipe I already have...
I did fit various stems to pipes in the past, didn't come out too good.
I'll keep looking, if you know a place in the Seattle area that can do this please let me know.
Cheers.