Missouri Meerschaum Goes Wacky On Us

Tsal
Forum Decorum

Citizen B wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 6:47 pm
Bruyere_Royale wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 6:35 pm
Citizen B wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 4:46 pm It doesn't bother me. While I think the marketing is ham handed and clumsy, like someone hired their cousin to come up with a slogan and then use his mad photoshop skills to design the packaging, I don't begrudge MM for chasing every dollar they can get their hands on. As the longest and last American corn cob pipe manufacturer left standing, they have to give the people what they want and expand their market. Do I like it? No. Do I blame them? Also no. I wish MM nothing but the best of luck and a long and profitable future for future generations looking for an inexpensive cool, dry smoke. Times change. People change. The qualities that make a good pipe don't change.
But to sell out to the weed crowd just cheapens their appeal. No class.
Not everyone can pull off a fez and flannel or a fedora atop a three-piece suit while riding a motor scooter.. It will either work or it won't. I'm not the target demographic for this line of pipes but if they can sell more cobs, I can't fault them for trying. Selling novelty cobs for good money is better than trying to sell pipes nobody wants. There is an open market out there. I don't begrudge them the opportunity to move product.

MM is a good tobacco pipe. Everyone knows that. I don't think it would be a good weed pipe, not that I know much about that. If this line extension brings people to try a tobacco cob, more power to them. I am agnostic about this. Let the market decide.
This is merely my opinion. Free market is a wonderful thing in my book.
The Troll Whisperer
Tsal
Forum Decorum

Fr_Tom wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 7:07 pm
Kevin Keith wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 1:13 pm
Right, now cobs can legitimately be called paraphernalia
This is my beef with this move. I smoke cobs more than anything else when I am driving.
Especially stepping out of the Suburban wearing sandals and The Grateful Dead playing on your speakers. Lol
The Troll Whisperer
Fr_Tom
Chaplain

Bruyere_Royale wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 7:30 pm
This is my beef with this move. I smoke cobs more than anything else when I am driving.
Especially stepping out of the Suburban wearing sandals and The Grateful Dead playing on your speakers. Lol
I *am* wearing sandals and jeans 95% of the time. I replaced my dancing bears with a "See you in church Sunday" in 2013 or so so I am good there. I will pass on the "Make America Grateful Again" sticker I saw since I don't want to push my luck now.

I don't think I especially look like one of Jerry's kids these days. The crew cut under the Panama fedora (my warm weather hat) and the trimmed beard/clergy collar just don't fit the demographic.
"Prov'dence don't fire no blank ca'tridges, boys" Roughing It, Mark Twain

Old Ted Award - 2017
Tsal
Forum Decorum

Fr_Tom wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 7:50 pm
Bruyere_Royale wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 7:30 pm

I *am* wearing sandals and jeans 95% of the time. I replaced my dancing bears with a "See you in church Sunday" in 2013 or so so I am good there. I will pass on the "Make America Grateful Again" sticker I saw since I don't want to push my luck now.

I don't think I especially look like one of Jerry's kids these days. The crew cut under the Panama fedora (my warm weather hat) and the trimmed beard/clergy collar just don't fit the demographic.
"I replaced my dancing bears with a "See you in church Sunday"".., but just knowing you once were is enough for me. :lol: The Grateful Dead is a great band.
The Troll Whisperer
Riff89

I’m pretty indifferent about it. It doesn’t really matter to me. I don’t smoke pot, haven’t touched that stuff in a long time but when I did I don’t think I would have gone for the corncob it just doesn’t seem like it’s very well suited to smoking weed. I mean you can smoke whatever you want in a cob but even the small ones they are selling have pretty big bowls for that stuff.
I remember my uncle telling me that he borrowed one of my grandfathers briars when he was a teenager for that exact purpose and my grandfather couldn’t figure out why his pipe smelled like skunk. Lol. Live and let live I suppose
Ruffinogold
The Mayor

Riff89 wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 11:41 am I’m pretty indifferent about it. It doesn’t really matter to me. I don’t smoke pot, haven’t touched that stuff in a long time but when I did I don’t think I would have gone for the corncob it just doesn’t seem like it’s very well suited to smoking weed. I mean you can smoke whatever you want in a cob but even the small ones they are selling have pretty big bowls for that stuff.
I remember my uncle telling me that he borrowed one of my grandfathers briars when he was a teenager for that exact purpose and my grandfather couldn’t figure out why his pipe smelled like skunk. Lol. Live and let live I suppose
Back in the day , I rolled joints . Anyone remember Randys Wired Papers ?
" I believe adventure is nothing but a romantic name for trouble " L.L.
Chef Benny
Codger in Training

Ruffinogold wrote: Sun May 23, 2021 9:29 pm
Riff89 wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 11:41 am I’m pretty indifferent about it. It doesn’t really matter to me. I don’t smoke pot, haven’t touched that stuff in a long time but when I did I don’t think I would have gone for the corncob it just doesn’t seem like it’s very well suited to smoking weed. I mean you can smoke whatever you want in a cob but even the small ones they are selling have pretty big bowls for that stuff.
Back in the day , I rolled joints . Anyone remember Randys Wired Papers ?
😂 Yup!
~ Tobacco is part of a complete breakfast.
rekamepip
Codger in Training

Lostdog5152 wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 12:59 pm Crap. MM getting into the dope market. It just degrades the name and makes tobacco smokers shudder. Whats next, glass crack pipes with cob decorations? Its sad what some bean counters will do for a little money. Will you now have your pipe smashed to check for dope residue along with having your cigars ripped apart? Will a cob pipe on your car seat now be considered just cause for a big ugly German Shepherd to stick his face in your laundry basket? What a sick assed world this is turning into. No more new cobs for me, no matter what they come out with next.
So what happened with the tobacco products and accessories Deeming legislation of a few years ago where pipe manufacturing started to get rolled up in with the bs
Wouldn’t a medicinal pipe be subject to rules and regulations the same as a quote tobacco product?
Hawkwood

It would seem that cannabis growers, breweries and distilleries are growing fast and therefore creating a large revenue source. Not sure what that says about our society. Politicians are all about money so they facilitate. People have been using cobs to smoke dope for decades. Now with widespread legalization I cannot blame MM for marketing to this sector. I wonder how long it'll be before we see cannabis pipe tobacco blends. As to the pipe names it's all stoner terminology.
mrpipster
Solid Citizen

rekamepip wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 6:12 am
Lostdog5152 wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 12:59 pm Crap. MM getting into the dope market. It just degrades the name and makes tobacco smokers shudder. Whats next, glass crack pipes with cob decorations? Its sad what some bean counters will do for a little money. Will you now have your pipe smashed to check for dope residue along with having your cigars ripped apart? Will a cob pipe on your car seat now be considered just cause for a big ugly German Shepherd to stick his face in your laundry basket? What a sick assed world this is turning into. No more new cobs for me, no matter what they come out with next.
So what happened with the tobacco products and accessories Deeming legislation of a few years ago where pipe manufacturing started to get rolled up in with the bs
Wouldn’t a medicinal pipe be subject to rules and regulations the same as a quote tobacco product?
If you can smoke out of it it is paraphernalia. Cob,briar,glass,dosent matter. The world is a much better place with the rapidly growing acceptance of canabis.
"Fear is the Mother of Morality." Friedrich Nietzsche