Grow up

Citizen B
Raconteur Extraordinaire

An excerpt from an article I read today:

" One of the big newspapers ran a story last week about 30-somethings driven home by COVID or other knock-on effects, and how they remade their childhood bedrooms into new and fabulous spaces. It all seemed pathetic and suggested that no one running these sections thinks it's odd that 30+ single men are faced with the dilemma of replacing their old action figures with their new action figures."

That's because most of the people who are commenting on the current state of affairs are aged late 20s-early 30s and that is what they are doing.

Where I come from, a grown man, like older than 18, doesn't collect action figures. A grown man puts his childhood toys away and collects pipes and warehouses tobacco in his cellar. Childish things for children. Great things for great men.

YMMV.
-- The Rhinestone Dandy.
Ruffinogold
The Mayor

Having to go back to mommys house must suck .... but , doing a remodel seems like a permanent type mindset . If that happened to me , Id be focused on getting the hell out as fast as I could
" I believe adventure is nothing but a romantic name for trouble " L.L.
Tsal
Forum Decorum

Luckily I have two boys 8 and 5, I get to relive my childhood all over again with them. The Leatherface action figure is mine boys, you can look but don't touch it! Lol
The Troll Whisperer
Dr Uhaha
Member in Very Good Standing

There is a general malaise with a lot of kids these days - not interested in cars, trouble, sechs, or anything else I can discern as fun. Tsk, tsk, tsk...
Wildcat
Codger in Training

“When I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child: but when I became a man, I put away childish things.”
1 Corinthians 13:11

Except my comic books.

...I've known and now know plenty of real men who played with trains, built model airplanes or puzzles, collected NASCAR memorabilia or toy farm implements and yes enjoyed comic books. Heck, I even knew a preacher, a real fire and brimstone guy, who had a thing for everything James Bond. The problem is when these escapes from the often miserable, workaday existence that life has a habit of dishing out, become all consuming. When this happens, nothing else matters and everything falls to the wayside and there's nothing left to do but move back home and complain about your aging mother's cooking.

All that said, there was a time when families did continue to live together as one generation gave way to another. Then it was decided that government and institutions should care for our elders and that young adults should should move out so mom and dad could turn their bedrooms into sewing rooms and man caves. But I digress...
I wonder if "blame Wildcat" will become a theme here? - Fr_Tom
Riff89

Growing up is overrated. I don’t live with my folks or collect action figures and I wouldn’t want to... but I find that people who’ve fully grown up are very miserable sad people. I always try to keep a little bit of the little boy in me alive. Maybe I have a little bit of Peter Pan syndrome I don’t know.
Lostdog5152
Member in Good Standing

I can't speak for anyone else. Everyone has their own perspective. Myself, if I had moved back home I would have considered myself a dismal failure. Today people seem to have a different take on things. Sure my parents loved me, I loved them too. Remodeling a room smacks of long term freeloading on the people who cared for them most. Parents worked hard to pay the bills and feed and cloth their children for as long as they did. I had a lot of crappy jobs, but if I had not got out or given up I probably would be living in a paper box somewhere. Waiting for the next stimulus check so I could move up to a single occupancy packing crate under a fashionable bridge. Fight dammit, fight! Sling burgers, dig ditches...anything! Nothing is free except failure. Sitting on their hairy ass with Mama and Papa is a fast track to that paper box.
Ruffinogold
The Mayor

Wildcat wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 6:50 pm “When I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child: but when I became a man, I put away childish things.”

Except my comic books.

...I've known and now know plenty of real men who played with trains, built model airplanes or puzzles, collected NASCAR memorabilia or toy farm implements and yes enjoyed comic books. Heck, I even knew a preacher, a real fire and brimstone guy, who had a thing for everything James Bond. The problem is when these escapes from the often miserable, workaday existence that life has a habit of dishing out, become all consuming. When this happens, nothing else matters and everything falls to the wayside and there's nothing left to do but move back home and complain about your aging mother's cooking.

All that said, there was a time when families did continue to live together as one generation gave way to another. Then it was decided that government and institutions should care for our elders and that young adults should should move out so mom and dad could turn their bedrooms into sewing rooms and man caves. But I digress...
I thought parents wanted the kids the hell out so they could have intense fire sex again , lol

Yes , comics . Men dig them
" I believe adventure is nothing but a romantic name for trouble " L.L.
Lostdog5152
Member in Good Standing

Ruffinogold wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 10:12 pm
Wildcat wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 6:50 pm “When I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child: but when I became a man, I put away childish things.”

Except my comic books.

I thought parents wanted the kids the hell out so they could have intense fire sex again , lol

Yes , comics . Men dig them
Don't know about intense fire sex Ruff, but fire sex in tents could be interesting. Camping without the kids. Bring along a Malibu Barbie, a G.I. Joe and some comic books just in case things get dull. A copy of the Kama Sutra and a Dr. Joyce Brothers book in case you have forgotten anything while raising the kiddies.
arturo7
Member in Good Standing

I've heard many 20-somethings use the term "adulting" as if it is a role they sometimes have play, not a responsibility.
ever forward