Hobby blocks anyone?

Big Iron
Member in Good Standing

Evening gents. I hope the week has been treating you well and your pipes have been smoking cool and easy. As the title suggests, I wanted to sew if anyone in here has had any experience making pipes out of hobby blocks. I've seen them and always been slightly interested but have never tried working on one. If anyone has had the experience before and wants to share I'd love to read about it. And as always LETS SEE SOME PICS :clap: cheers!
"Keep your nose in the wind, your eye along the skyline"
Del Gue
Citizen B
Raconteur Extraordinaire

All my creative skills lie in the realm of fairy tales and daydreams. I don't work in 3D. I have been tempted to buy one of these, but only to smoke it without changing it. They all come as sitters, don't they? I wouldn't feel inclined to change anything.
-- The Rhinestone Dandy.
Kevin Keith
Grand Poobah

If I did get a block, I'd do what I've always threatened to do. I'd make a Good Night pipe. No carving for me, but I'd make the wood look nice. A hookah hose and mouthpiece and viola, a Good Night pipe, suitable for smoking in bed. I'm not even kidding.
FJB
Vote Trump 2024!
Citizen B
Raconteur Extraordinaire

Kevin Keith wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 12:39 pm If I did get a block, I'd do what I've always threatened to do. I'd make a Good Night pipe. No carving for me, but I'd make the wood look nice. A hookah hose and mouthpiece and viola, a Good Night pipe, suitable for smoking in bed. I'm not even kidding.
If you go to the Mark Twain House in Hartford, Connecticut, you'll see that Samuel Clemens was thinking along the same lines. He hooked up a tube to the gaslight over his bed so that he wouldn't have to get up to light his cigar.

Mark Twain lived next door to Harriet Beecher Stowe in Hartford. You can visit her house, too. Make the day a two-fer.

There is something obviously appealing about the idea of a goodnight smoke that doesn't make you want to get up. Lay back. Relax, have a nightcap. It's almost decadent, smoking in bed like a pasha. With the wide bases these blocks have, you wouldn't have to worry about it tipping it over. It's like something from Yankee Candle.

Hipsters would smoke this pipe. It practically sells itself.

I don't buy pipe cleaners by the yard, however, so I'm afraid this hookah style masterpiece isn't for me. If you make I will admire it from afar, the same way I do Brial pipes.

Let me know if you want to go into business as partners. There is a market for this. We could advertise it like P.T. Barnum, who was a legitimate businessman and the mayor of Bridgeport, Connecticut, as long as we're talking about the Nutmeg State.

This must be a very easy thing to make and upcharge.
-- The Rhinestone Dandy.
mrpipster
Solid Citizen

Thats awesome! I gotta check it out.
"Fear is the Mother of Morality." Friedrich Nietzsche
mrpipster
Solid Citizen

"Fear is the Mother of Morality." Friedrich Nietzsche
Ruffinogold
The Mayor

They are fantastic . The drilling and stem to shank point of contact are the two things to get exactly right and the blocks provide that . At that point you could carve it or leave it and it will function fine

I have a video somewhere on how to make motorized tools to carve briar . Its not in depth but give a good example , Briar is a real tuff hard wood and using files and manual bs like that , imho , is a waste of time and energy because it doesnt matter how wood is removed , it just doesnt . The hand work comes into play with finishing , which includes sanding , texturing if youre into that etc ..

Buy the block , make the stuff to work it and make a freaking pipe
" I believe adventure is nothing but a romantic name for trouble " L.L.
Riff89

I made one about five years back I had posted pictures of it on the old forum. I never fully finished it the stem never got polished and I never stained it or waxed it. I call it the War Hammer Poker. It is literally like a hammer it’s pretty heavy and not a clincher at all lol.
Riff89

Ruffinogold
The Mayor

Riff89 wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 8:17 pm Image
Thats easily one of the better first pipes Ive ever seen :thumbs:
" I believe adventure is nothing but a romantic name for trouble " L.L.