Hazy bowl finish ?

Big Iron
Member in Good Standing

So I don't have too many smooth pipes but one of the ones that I do have happens to be one of my favorite smokers. Throughout the years this one has gotten a haze in the finish in spots and I was wondering if anyone's had anything like this happen to them. Does it matter at all really ? And if so is there a way to remedy it?

ImageImageImage
"Keep your nose in the wind, your eye along the skyline"
Del Gue
Kevin Keith
Grand Poobah

Does it matter? No, it will not change the way the pipe smokes. If it bothers you I’m sure it can be fixed.
FJB
Vote Trump 2024!
Tsal
Forum Decorum

From the pics I see it looks like either a scuff mark or the wax wore off... maybe try putting a fresh coat of wax and buff it.
The Troll Whisperer
Thelonious monkfish
Codger in Training

Is it wax or shellac? You could always strip and refinish, or rub a little halcyon wax on it, or just leave it alone and let it wear off to completion au natural.
Fr_Tom
Chaplain

I have seen this before. I have been waiting ( a while) for it to go all matte. I am a patient man, and that is probably a good thing.
"Prov'dence don't fire no blank ca'tridges, boys" Roughing It, Mark Twain

Old Ted Award - 2017
Tsal
Forum Decorum

Thelonious monkfish wrote: Sat Aug 21, 2021 9:52 pm Is it wax or shellac? You could always strip and refinish, or rub a little halcyon wax on it, or just leave it alone and let it wear off to completion au natural.
If it's shellac you can everso gently scrape it off.

Btw... Hi.
The Troll Whisperer
Big Iron
Member in Good Standing

Morning everyone and thank you for the information. I didn't necessarily think it was too detrimental to the bowl , but considering it's one of my favorite smokers , it looked so pretty many years ago when I first got it, I wanted to see if anyone had seen this before. Hope everyone is having a great sunday
"Keep your nose in the wind, your eye along the skyline"
Del Gue
Ruffinogold
The Mayor

What brand pipe is it ? Grabows are notorious for doing basically the same thing because they are Lacquered , though it takes a while and bad conditions help it along . If shellac , then its an alcohol based finish . You could take off a shellac finish with denatured alcohol but it would leave the pipe quite dull and possibly , or probably , remove some stain as well . Id, try buffing it first with a little compound and then buff it with wax but its best to have a buffing wheel

Ya know whats a shame . B&Ms today .. theyre vape and most everything else but pipes . Back in the day youd bring it to your tobacconist and theyd take care of it for you . I didnt even charge to do it because I enjoy making them look great

In time , it will wear itself off . It will be a bit duller and you could shine it up with whatever stuff hobbyists use these days . Ive never kept up with the stuff in tubes and microfiber etc .. I still do it the old school way .

Heres a memeory

Back when Kaywoodies were being made in Tampa , their facility was attached to Thomas Christianos place [ he was a player / maker / importer in the pipe world ] and I'd stop in and see him and his , either cousin or brother in law .. i forget , next door at the Kaywoodie building . I buffed a bunch of Kaywoodies for them one day and loved it . I said they should hire me to buff all day because it makes me happy . Man , let me tell you , they had a huge building full of briar .. it was a mind bender .
I remember when Randy Wiley would get his briar in from Greece . Hed get some big burlap sacks .. heavy sobs . Kaywoodie had hundreds of those sacks .. I could believe it . Ive seen pictures of Savinelli facility with all their briar and I think Kaywoodie had as much or more

As far as briar , Randy really gets some killer quality briar , which he oil cures . His process is a secret and the result is killer

My God , Im rambling
" I believe adventure is nothing but a romantic name for trouble " L.L.
Mr Beardsley
Founding Member

Ruffinogold wrote: Sun Aug 22, 2021 10:54 am What brand pipe is it ? Grabows are notorious for doing basically the same thing because they are Lacquered , though it takes a while and bad conditions help it along . If shellac , then its an alcohol based finish . You could take off a shellac finish with denatured alcohol but it would leave the pipe quite dull and possibly , or probably , remove some stain as well . Id, try buffing it first with a little compound and then buff it with wax but its best to have a buffing wheel

Ya know whats a shame . B&Ms today .. theyre vape and most everything else but pipes . Back in the day youd bring it to your tobacconist and theyd take care of it for you . I didnt even charge to do it because I enjoy making them look great

In time , it will wear itself off . It will be a bit duller and you could shine it up with whatever stuff hobbyists use these days . Ive never kept up with the stuff in tubes and microfiber etc .. I still do it the old school way .

Heres a memeory

Back when Kaywoodies were being made in Tampa , their facility was attached to Thomas Christianos place [ he was a player / maker / importer in the pipe world ] and I'd stop in and see him and his , either cousin or brother in law .. i forget , next door at the Kaywoodie building . I buffed a bunch of Kaywoodies for them one day and loved it . I said they should hire me to buff all day because it makes me happy . Man , let me tell you , they had a huge building full of briar .. it was a mind bender .
I remember when Randy Wiley would get his briar in from Greece . Hed get some big burlap sacks .. heavy sobs . Kaywoodie had hundreds of those sacks .. I could believe it . Ive seen pictures of Savinelli facility with all their briar and I think Kaywoodie had as much or more

As far as briar , Randy really gets some killer quality briar , which he oil cures . His process is a secret and the result is killer

My God , Im rambling
Does he still oil cure his briar?
“If you try to fail, and succeed, which have you done?” - George Carlin
Ruffinogold
The Mayor

Mr Beardsley wrote: Sun Aug 22, 2021 11:27 am
Ruffinogold wrote: Sun Aug 22, 2021 10:54 am What brand pipe is it ? Grabows are notorious for doing basically the same thing because they are Lacquered , though it takes a while and bad conditions help it along . If shellac , then its an alcohol based finish . You could take off a shellac finish with denatured alcohol but it would leave the pipe quite dull and possibly , or probably , remove some stain as well . Id, try buffing it first with a little compound and then buff it with wax but its best to have a buffing wheel

Heres a memeory

My God , Im rambling
Does he still oil cure his briar?

i believe so , yes .

If you get one of his smooth finished lightly stained pipes , you can smoke it a dozen times and it will darken quite a bit . Its surprising . I remember my buddy chuck bought one from my shop and wrote an article about how it colored in an early the P&T magazine . I miss that magazine .
" I believe adventure is nothing but a romantic name for trouble " L.L.