EA Carey pipes Who smokes em?

rekamepip
Codger in Training

I haven’t seen anyone smoking these on the daily ways thread

I picked up a few of these on eBay
New unsmoked
So far I’ve tried one and it works good

but why don’t more people here smoke em?

ironclad

I'm just not a fan of the "magic inch" smoking system. But if you are then you go girl!
Mischief managed.
Thelonious monkfish
Codger in Training

Hate the stems, don't do stingers/filters/contraptions, nice bowls though. Have had a few, always gutted the "magic" and restemmed them. Here's the last one I had before gifting it.

Puff nstuff

I have a one that I received from one of our erstwhile members (I hope he returns!), but I'm waiting to use it until I procure the magic inch papyrus insert, to smoke the pipe in the way it was designed to be used. It's a nice looking square panel job. I will report my findings here!
Because sometimes the body just wants canned fish. 🦪
Lostdog5152
Member in Good Standing

Better than average wood on those I have seen and the few I have owned. I just don't like the plastic stems on Carey pipes or system pipes in general. I once cut a piece of plastic drinking straw to proper length and replaced the filter on an attractive billiard. It smoked just fine but I never could get friendly with the mouth feel of that stem.
Hawkwood

Folks must be buying them as the pipes and the filters are still being made. I've had a couple. Different makers in different countries over the years. The only one I still have is a really nice rusticated apple that was made in England. It smokes well, the draw is more open than other filter pipes.
Lostdog5152
Member in Good Standing

I remember seeing old Carey adds where they made a unique guarantee. If you didn't like the pipe you could snap the stem and return it for a full refund. They must have had a lot of faith in their system.
Puff nstuff

I finally got some of the papyrus filter-thingies and tried out my Magic Inch pipe today for the first time. It smoked well enough. With the papyrus installed over the nipple it draws almost normally - like the introduction of outside air through the gills in the stem is almost imperceptible. It's a handsome piece of French-crafted briar, light and thick walled with a good-sized bowl, and the stem seems fine and comfortable to me; I know others complain about the stems but it fits well and didn't bother me. The tobacco I used was pretty heavy and moist so I had a hard time keeping it lit, but the taste wasn't affected as far as I could tell. The papyrus was not very moist by the end of the bowl, which was surprising. I think I need to try an easier blend (like an OTC or ribbon cut) and see how it goes. Jury is still out but so far, so good.

Because sometimes the body just wants canned fish. 🦪
Rob NC

I have 5 of these, and I do smoke them. Bought at various times over the years, and each smokes differently. The most expensive (a numbered 50th Anniversary pipe) smokes the worst among them, but I have a simple large billiard that actually gives a great smoke. Four of them do have the strange sort of vinyl stem, which I'm not crazy about either. I still remember the magazine ad that inspired me to get my first one: "Smoke it all day long and if you don't like it, smash it with a hammer and send it back to us for a full refund!" I still have it.
"Smoke your pipe and be silent, for there is only smoke and wind in the world."
-Irish Proverb
ironclad

I knew a couple of old timers that put a piece of electrical tape over the system and just smoked 'em that way. I never tried it myself.
Mischief managed.