New Dr. Grabow Collection

Thelonious monkfish
Codger in Training

Puff nstuff wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 9:54 pm OK. But WTH does (or did) 'pre-smoked' mean? How did they do it, and why would they leave the factory with a used filter in 'em?
Tom said they would pick up and drive back 25 pound boxes of PA from RJR, loose, just all heaped in a box. Smoked the hell out of it, and loaded the pipes in the machine with too.
Puff nstuff

Wow, @Thelonious monkfish, that's crazy - and really cool, too! Thanks for posting this archival information!! Very cool.
Because sometimes the body just wants canned fish. 🦪
Citizen B
Raconteur Extraordinaire

Wildcrow wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 8:35 pm By the looks of those filters, someone has already gotten use out of those pipes. Id smoke em
Based on available evidence, I concur.
-- The Rhinestone Dandy.
Piping Abe
Certified Codger

Something I noticed when removing the glue off the stems. The old Dr. Grabow filters in these pipes say “Pre-Smoked” and the new filters just say “Pipe Filter”. I guess there point to include a used filter was to show that they are, in fact, Pre-Smoked. Pretty cool idea.

Silver
Certified Codger

My vote is to keep them and enjoy them. Or hold back on a few to trade with other collectors. Also, keep the card flat and out of sunlight so it doesn't warp and fade. Probably worth as much as any of the pipes.
Piping Abe
Certified Codger

Wow! After I posted these new Grabows @Chef Benny messaged me and offered a couple Grabows to add to my new colection. I didn’t know it would be 9!! Thank you @Chef Benny !!!! :clap:

ImageImage

Top to bottom:

Golden Duke
Crown Duke
Lark
Starfire
Lark
Grand Duke
(No markings other than Dr. Grabow)
Grand Duke
Riviera
Silver
Certified Codger

WOW!!!
Puff nstuff

@Piping Abe:

@Chef Benny has a habit of being VERY generous with his Grabows! Lucky for us! He supplied me with one of my most favorite pipes, a Royalton prince, and I'm forever grateful to him.
Because sometimes the body just wants canned fish. 🦪
Chef Benny
Codger in Training

Puff nstuff wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 6:09 pm @Piping Abe:

@Chef Benny has a habit of being VERY generous with his Grabows! Lucky for us! He supplied me with one of my most favorite pipes, a Royalton prince, and I'm forever grateful to him.
My pleasure fellas..
Glad the are going to good use.
Enjoy those pipes gentleman!
~ Tobacco is part of a complete breakfast.
Kevin Keith
Grand Poobah

Chef Benny wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 11:42 am
Puff nstuff wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 6:09 pm @Piping Abe:

My pleasure fellas..
Glad the are going to good use.
Enjoy those pipes gentleman!
Above and beyond, man! And the nice thing about PSF is that there isn't a guy here afraid to pay it forward!
FJB
Vote Trump 2024!