Perspex [ acrylic ] is superior ...

HSigurdsson

I much prefer Vulcanite.
Its softer and more comfortable in the mouth.
Acrylic feels like having a pen in your mouth.
The upkeep of Vulcanite does not bother me.....I do none. :)
Ive got some pretty brown(oxidized) stems in my collection.
To take a couple of @Piping Abe ideas, Vulcanite is easier to shape therefore carvers can make thinner, more comfortable stems.
One pro to Acrylic is the array of colors but im not a fan of colored stems, im a black guy.....or....um.....black stem guy. But a nice Cumberland stem is good too.
Fr_Tom
Chaplain

HSigurdsson wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 9:11 am
The upkeep of Vulcanite does not bother me.....I do none. :)
Props...
"Prov'dence don't fire no blank ca'tridges, boys" Roughing It, Mark Twain

Old Ted Award - 2017
MikeDennison
Certified Codger

I prefer Vulcanite...I find it gentler on the clench. And ya know, I like those plastic stems that come on MM cobs. That juba stuff sounds interesting.
"I realized I had the gift of seeming to know more than I actually did." -A.J. Cronin-
HSigurdsson

MikeDennison wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 4:09 am I prefer Vulcanite...I find it gentler on the clench. And ya know, I like those plastic stems that come on MM cobs. That juba stuff sounds interesting.
Funny you mention cob stems.
Just today while taking a picture of my two oldest pipes, I noticed something about MM cob stems.
The "natural" cob I have has the regular black, cheap plastic stem. It feels and behaves like cheap plastic. But, the "smooth" cob I have has the orange see through stem(at least it used to) and the feel is much different. The orange stem feels more like a "real" acrylic pipe stem. Its softer and more comfortable in my opinion. They are both about 13 years old.
Piping Abe
Certified Codger

HSigurdsson wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 5:35 pm
MikeDennison wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 4:09 am I prefer Vulcanite...I find it gentler on the clench. And ya know, I like those plastic stems that come on MM cobs. That juba stuff sounds interesting.
Funny you mention cob stems.
Just today while taking a picture of my two oldest pipes, I noticed something about MM cob stems.
The "natural" cob I have has the regular black, cheap plastic stem. It feels and behaves like cheap plastic. But, the "smooth" cob I have has the orange see through stem(at least it used to) and the feel is much different. The orange stem feels more like a "real" acrylic pipe stem. Its softer and more comfortable in my opinion. They are both about 13 years old.
Both styles of MM Stem are plastic. The ‘Danish’ style is the harder ones and hold up really good. Some prefer the cheaper ones because they are very very soft and are so cheap you can stock up.
The Secret to Happiness is Low Expectations
Ruffinogold
The Mayor

Acrylic is superior in every way :thumbs:
" I believe adventure is nothing but a romantic name for trouble " L.L.
Piping Abe
Certified Codger

Ruffinogold wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 6:30 pm Acrylic is superior in every way :thumbs:
Well, Acrylic tames those wet blends much better. Must be the case
Ruffinogold
The Mayor

Piping Abe wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 6:50 pm
Ruffinogold wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 6:30 pm Acrylic is superior in every way :thumbs:
Hmmm ... all that bone dry hot stuff youre into ... vulcanite might deaden it a bit for ya :lol:

Im actually smoking a Russ O blend and am actually enjoy it . Sue , its a little thin and a touch warm , like all the H&H stuf .... but the flavoring is superb
Piping Abe
Certified Codger

Ruffinogold wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 7:16 pm
Hmmm ... all that bone dry hot stuff youre into ... vulcanite might deaden it a bit for ya :lol:

Im actually smoking a Russ O blend and am actually enjoy it . Sue , its a little thin and a touch warm , like all the H&H stuf .... but the flavoring is superb
I enjoy Russ’s Blends. Firestorm is very good. I liked his aromatics before when you didn’t have to “blend your own”
Ruffinogold
The Mayor

Piping Abe wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:58 am
Ruffinogold wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 7:16 pm

I enjoy Russ’s Blends. Firestorm is very good. I liked his aromatics before when you didn’t have to “blend your own”
what , it comes separate ?