Lost and found

Splodger

This little Brigham was my first pipe. I lost it about three years ago, and my wife just came up with it while searching for a check book. Now, if only I could find my lighter ;)

Three things in human life are important: the first is to be kind; the second is to be kind; and the third is to be kind - Henry James
Houtenziel
Codger in Training

That is a damn nice Brigham. They are one brand I've never owned, and I've often wondered about their rock maple filter system. Kind of makes me think of a a cob's maple shank, and how that mops up a lot of moisture.
“To educate a person in the mind but not in morals is to educate a menace to society.”
― Theodore Roosevelt
Splodger

houtenziel wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 8:40 pm That is a damn nice Brigham. They are one brand I've never owned, and I've often wondered about their rock maple filter system. Kind of makes me think of a a cob's maple shank, and how that mops up a lot of moisture.
Thanks. You can't tell from this picture, but the filter is wet. It was still in the pipe, and I think it has about five smokes through it. Brigham say you can use each filter 20 times, but I've always ditched them after eight or so.

Three things in human life are important: the first is to be kind; the second is to be kind; and the third is to be kind - Henry James
Houtenziel
Codger in Training

Splodger wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 9:21 pm
houtenziel wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 8:40 pm That is a damn nice Brigham. They are one brand I've never owned, and I've often wondered about their rock maple filter system. Kind of makes me think of a a cob's maple shank, and how that mops up a lot of moisture.
Thanks. You can't tell from this picture, but the filter is wet. It was still in the pipe, and I think it has about five smokes through it. Brigham say you can use each filter 20 times, but I've always ditched them after eight or so.

Do you notice an appreciable difference with them in vs. not? How's the draw? I have been intrigued by the design for a while, but I haven't run in to a lot of folks who actually have one to ask if they worked as claimed.
“To educate a person in the mind but not in morals is to educate a menace to society.”
― Theodore Roosevelt
Splodger

houtenziel wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 9:44 pm

Do you notice an appreciable difference with them in vs. not? How's the draw? I have been intrigued by the design for a while, but I haven't run in to a lot of folks who actually have one to ask if they worked as claimed.
In this picture you can see that the metal end of the filter goes all the way down the shank to the draft hole. The filter is an integral part of the pipe, and you really shouldn't smoke it without the filter. The end of the stem is very thin. If you look at the previous picture, you can see that a good part of the metal fitting is inside the end of the stem. It is a structural piece. The stem would not last long without the filter.

All that said, it draws perfectly, and it smokes nice and dry.Image
Fr_Tom
Chaplain

Splodger wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 10:16 pm
houtenziel wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 9:44 pm

In this picture you can see that the metal end of the filter goes all the way down the shank to the draft hole. The filter is an integral part of the pipe, and you really shouldn't smoke it without the filter. The end of the stem is very thin. If you look at the previous picture, you can see that a good part of the metal fitting is inside the end of the stem. It is a structural piece. The stem would not last long without the filter.

All that said, it draws perfectly, and it smokes nice and dry.Image
Interesting... I have never gotten a close look at one of these.
"Prov'dence don't fire no blank ca'tridges, boys" Roughing It, Mark Twain

Old Ted Award - 2017
Mr Beardsley
Founding Member

I had a Brigham for a short period. Great smoking pipe it was just a bit long for my taste, felt like the bowl was a mile out in front of me, so I gave it to a friend. I think the maple distillator is the only "filter system" I still like
“If you try to fail, and succeed, which have you done?” - George Carlin
MikeDennison
Certified Codger

I've got a Brigham...it smokes just fine. A bit heavy, but it smokes fine.
"I realized I had the gift of seeming to know more than I actually did." -A.J. Cronin-
Kevin Keith
Grand Poobah

Splodger wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 8:30 pm
I really like the look of this pipe. I enjoy a few gimmick pipes but I'm not as big a sucker for them as [mention]Fr_Tom[/mention] is and this one wouldn't make my cut unless I could smoke it without the maple insert. It is a great looker though and I bet it's a champion smoker, but that proprietary insert puts me off of it. I would always be wondering if I need to be hoarding them in case Brigham ever gave up the ghost or just stopped making the durn things since I can't just run down to Walgreens and pick up a box. :| I'm glad you found it!
FJB
Vote Trump 2024!
Fr_Tom
Chaplain

Kevin Keith wrote: Fri Nov 02, 2018 1:33 pm
Splodger wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 8:30 pm
I really like the look of this pipe. I enjoy a few gimmick pipes but I'm not as big a sucker for them as @Fr_Tom is and this one wouldn't make my cut unless I could smoke it without the maple insert. It is a great looker though and I bet it's a champion smoker, but that proprietary insert puts me off of it. I would always be wondering if I need to be hoarding them in case Brigham ever gave up the ghost or just stopped making the durn things since I can't just run down to Walgreens and pick up a box. :| I'm glad you found it!
I am a sucker for gimmick pipes. It is true. I have a WDC Hesson Guard Milano pot coming my way. It has a 1 in bowl ID, and that is a mitigating factor. All the Brighams I have ever seen had a smallish bowl capacity.

"Prov'dence don't fire no blank ca'tridges, boys" Roughing It, Mark Twain

Old Ted Award - 2017