Your favorite and/or most sentimental pipe

Maynard

My Dad’s Kaywoodie 4 hole stinger, Super Grain panel he bought while on leave before shipping out with the Navy . Image
JTWilliams
Member in Very Good Standing

Rusticated Cassillero 125 is my most sentimental.
First pipe my daughters got me.
Was not a big fan of rusticated, and once looked to trade it.
I was lightly admonished by some forum folks as it was a gift.
Glad I heeded the advice.
Finally loaded it up with Haunted Bookshop shortly after that.
Now it's my favorite HB smoker and always makes me think of my girls.
"Yeah, well, y'know, that's just like, uh, your opinion, man."
-The Big Lebowski
Longshanks
Member in Good Standing

avid wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 9:33 am
Longshanks wrote: Fri Dec 21, 2018 7:38 am Smoked a lot of Carter Hall and PA in it. Good times, good times. :)
that pipe get's around
It really did. TX, OK, NM, NV, ARK, SC, NC, VA, TN, KY, MN and WI are just a few more it visited. I'm sure I'm forgetting a couple more up north... I believe it was with me in NJ, too. It saw a lot of country when I worked on the road.
Longshanks
"He who shall, so shall he... wait, who?" :?
Crusty Cob

I only have one pipe that is worth anything to me. My grandpa's old grabow. He used to smoke it and kentucky club when I was a kid. He switched to cigarettes later and the pipe was forgotten. After he died I was poking around the tool shed and lifted an old hat he had hung on a nail in the wall. Under the hat and hanging on the same nail was this old grabow. It had been years since he smoked it. I grabbed it for a keepsake but didn't smoke it for a while. Several years later I decided to give it a go. It was amazing with that first pouch of PA.

5 years ago November I was cutting wood and stuck grandpa's pipe in the chest pocket of my bibs. When I was done cutting and reached for the pipe it was gone. I searched until dark for that pipe but in the dark and snow and the mud and the leaves of the woods it was hopeless.
On a whim the next spring I went back to the woods and within 10 minutes saw the stem of that pipe sticking out of the mud. Nothing short of a miracle. Some time later I found a bucket of kentucky club.

Now that old grabow sits on my bookshelf lightly smoked and online as my avatar.

Besides that pipe, my favorite pipe is whichever one is currently in the clench.
avid

Crusty Cob wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 6:41 pm I only have one pipe that is worth anything to me. My grandpa's old grabow. He used to smoke it and kentucky club when I was a kid. He switched to cigarettes later and the pipe was forgotten. After he died I was poking around the tool shed and lifted an old hat he had hung on a nail in the wall. Under the hat and hanging on the same nail was this old grabow. It had been years since he smoked it. I grabbed it for a keepsake but didn't smoke it for a while. Several years later I decided to give it a go. It was amazing with that first pouch of PA.

5 years ago November I was cutting wood and stuck grandpa's pipe in the chest pocket of my bibs. When I was done cutting and reached for the pipe it was gone. I searched until dark for that pipe but in the dark and snow and the mud and the leaves of the woods it was hopeless.
On a whim the next spring I went back to the woods and within 10 minutes saw the stem of that pipe sticking out of the mud. Nothing short of a miracle. Some time later I found a bucket of kentucky club.

Now that old grabow sits on my bookshelf lightly smoked and online as my avatar.

Besides that pipe, my favorite pipe is whichever one is currently in the clench.
quite a story
insufferable filter guy
Longshanks
Member in Good Standing

Crusty Cob wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 6:41 pm I only have one pipe that is worth anything to me. My grandpa's old grabow. He used to smoke it and kentucky club when I was a kid. He switched to cigarettes later and the pipe was forgotten. After he died I was poking around the tool shed and lifted an old hat he had hung on a nail in the wall. Under the hat and hanging on the same nail was this old grabow. It had been years since he smoked it. I grabbed it for a keepsake but didn't smoke it for a while. Several years later I decided to give it a go. It was amazing with that first pouch of PA.

Great story! I was rooting for you to find it again and voila! LOL Really glad you did. Makes for a great avatar, too. My eyes can't tell if it's a Savoy or an Omega, but what a great nostalgic find.
Longshanks
"He who shall, so shall he... wait, who?" :?
RoyOdhner1980

My first "good" pipe was a no-name Italian basket pipe. I bought it in 1980 for the princely sum of $12USD. It's a kind of a dark honey colored Canadian that I call "The Canadian." The only marking is the pipe shop name: Collins (a pipe shop that used to be in the Lehigh Valley Mall in Whitehall, PA). It smokes like a champ. It traveled with me over-seas when I was in the Navy, it went on every deployment with me, and it was witness to many a historic event back when we could still smoke inside the skin of the ship or on the watch floor. It's most recent deployment was Desert Storm, and I was smoking it when Iraq invaded Kuwait. I still smoke it, and it's devoted to heavy Lakeland blends these days. I've smoked it so much that the finish is actually worn off in some spots - well, not totally worn off but you can definitely tell how I hold a pipe. When they finally plant me, it will be inside my coat pocket.
vwdeano

Picked up a "bing" made by Ed Kolpin a few years ago. Pretty thing.

Always loved Bing, and this thing is really pretty and the proportions are just right...
A dog is the only thing that loves you more than he loves himself.
Kevin Keith
Grand Poobah

Kevin Keith wrote: Sun Dec 23, 2018 12:08 pm I don't have that many. I started smoking a pipe in 1979. I didn't start collecting pipes, or "cellaring" tobacco, or collecting lighters, or pairing my smoke to my refreshments, or any of that corksniffing stuff. I just smoked. I had maybe two pipes, three if you counted a corn cob. I bought SWR by the pouch, daily or whatever the need was. I never burned out a pipe but I did lose them or break them sometimes. Then I would buy another one. Sentiment didn't play a part in my pipe smoking then, but it has become more so now. I blame the internet.

So...favorite pipe is any of my Grand Duke 69s. I have 7 or 8 and they are all great smokers. The most sentimental is a Preben Holm made Ben Wade Unicorn Fawn my wife bought me for Christmas in 1985. It's one I smoke hardly at all, but I'd never trade or sell it.
I never got around to posting a pic of that Ben Wade Unicorn Fawn so here it is. Better Nate than lever!
FJB
Vote Trump 2024!
Ruffinogold
The Mayor

Kevin Keith wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 10:56 am
Kevin Keith wrote: Sun Dec 23, 2018 12:08 pm I don't have that many. I started smoking a pipe in 1979. I didn't start collecting pipes, or "cellaring" tobacco, or collecting lighters, or pairing my smoke to my refreshments, or any of that corksniffing stuff. I just smoked. I had maybe two pipes, three if you counted a corn cob. I bought SWR by the pouch, daily or whatever the need was. I never burned out a pipe but I did lose them or break them sometimes. Then I would buy another one. Sentiment didn't play a part in my pipe smoking then, but it has become more so now. I blame the internet.

So...favorite pipe is any of my Grand Duke 69s. I have 7 or 8 and they are all great smokers. The most sentimental is a Preben Holm made Ben Wade Unicorn Fawn my wife bought me for Christmas in 1985. It's one I smoke hardly at all, but I'd never trade or sell it.
I never got around to posting a pic of that Ben Wade Unicorn Fawn so here it is. Better Nate than lever!

very sweet !!
" I believe adventure is nothing but a romantic name for trouble " L.L.