Dr. Grabow with clogged stem?

Johnny
Member in Good Standing

Hey guys. I just bought a Dr. Grabow from the local Rite Aid and the stem is clogged. Won't draw at all... Has anyone ever got one possibly wasn't drilled out all the way or blocked? I'm not sure what to do. I don't think the store will take it back after I opened it...
Houtenziel
Codger in Training

Johnny wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 5:16 pm Hey guys. I just bought a Dr. Grabow from the local Rite Aid and the stem is clogged. Won't draw at all... Has anyone ever got one possibly wasn't drilled out all the way or blocked? I'm not sure what to do. I don't think the store will take it back after I opened it...
Call Dr. Grabow, they will set you right. That's if you can't get something through the stem to clear it.
“To educate a person in the mind but not in morals is to educate a menace to society.”
― Theodore Roosevelt
Johnny
Member in Good Standing

houtenziel wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 5:23 pm
Johnny wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 5:16 pm Hey guys. I just bought a Dr. Grabow from the local Rite Aid and the stem is clogged. Won't draw at all... Has anyone ever got one possibly wasn't drilled out all the way or blocked? I'm not sure what to do. I don't think the store will take it back after I opened it...
Call Dr. Grabow, they will set you right. That's if you can't get something through the stem to clear it.
I tried calling but they are closed for the day. I sent an email. I'm currently using some gimlets to try and clear the stem out.
Tsal
Forum Decorum

Try hand turning a drill bit from the tenon side. Do they have another pipe at the Riteaid? Take it back, you bought it today they will remember you.
The Troll Whisperer
Johnny
Member in Good Standing

I'm having alright luck with the gimlets. I got a 4mm in there from the tenon side. It's almost like it has cake in it. I'm running bristle cleaners through it with alcohol and they are coming out black. Turned into a project anyway :lol:
Johnny
Member in Good Standing

I wonder if they pre-smoked it so much that it clogged the stem with carbon.... It's a rhodesian shape and I want to keep the pipe. Just going to take some work
Mr Beardsley
Founding Member

Sounds like whatever bowl coat they use got built up in the draft (if they use a bowl coat on the new ones) I'd just run a 5/32 drill bit down it by hand and then hit it with an iso soaked bristle cleaner
“If you try to fail, and succeed, which have you done?” - George Carlin
Houtenziel
Codger in Training

Johnny wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 5:58 pm I wonder if they pre-smoked it so much that it clogged the stem with carbon.... It's a rhodesian shape and I want to keep the pipe. Just going to take some work
Is the clog actually in the stem, or is it the draft in the stummel? I am fairly certain that Dr. Grabow uses a bowl coat now instead of pre-smoking(at least that is sure what the new ones look like). It would make sense that the stummel draft would be clogged with that, but I am not sure how the bowl coating would get into the stem.
“To educate a person in the mind but not in morals is to educate a menace to society.”
― Theodore Roosevelt
Johnny
Member in Good Standing

The clog is in the stem. The stummel is wide open as one would expect from Grabow. I can easily pass a cleaner through it now.
Fr_Tom
Chaplain

Johnny wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 6:40 pm The clog is in the stem. The stummel is wide open as one would expect from Grabow. I can easily pass a cleaner through it now.
You are good. I have never heard of this, but things happen.
"Prov'dence don't fire no blank ca'tridges, boys" Roughing It, Mark Twain

Old Ted Award - 2017