Hats

Citizen B
Raconteur Extraordinaire

-- The Rhinestone Dandy.
Ronv69
Founding Member

My uncle, who was a Teamster, wore an Open Road 10x Stetson. He had one that was like new when he died, but he wore a 6 7/8, while I wear a 7 3/4.
The Mountain Sky is very nice too.
Are you planning on moving to Texas or Arizona?
God and Texas!
Ronv69
Founding Member

Fezes used to be common in Houston. The local Arabian Shrine Temple of the Masons was huge and very active and you saw them everywhere when I was a kid. A fez was part of their uniform.
God and Texas!
Citizen B
Raconteur Extraordinaire

Ronv69 wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 3:26 pm Fezes used to be common in Houston. The local Arabian Shrine Temple of the Masons was huge and very active and you saw them everywhere when I was a kid. A fez was part of their uniform.
When I was 18, I bought a Shriner's fez at a thrift store. It was some dead man's fez. My father dissuaded me from wearing it. He didn't think Shriners would appreciate my attempt at fashion. He never let my brother or I wear my uncle's Purple Heart medal when we were kids for the same reason. It was for that reason that my brother and I both revere that Purple Heart, though my brother and I are very different people. He and I agree on very little. My brother still has it in the original box that was sent to my great-grandmother from President Roosevelt.

I earned a chestful of medals, some good ones to be proud of, among them. I never earned a Purple Heart. Ten years in the Navy during the Cold War, I never had the chance.
-- The Rhinestone Dandy.
Tsal
Forum Decorum

Ronv69 wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 3:25 pm My uncle, who was a Teamster, wore an Open Road 10x Stetson. He had one that was like new when he died, but he wore a 6 7/8, while I wear a 7 3/4.
The Mountain Sky is very nice too.
Are you planning on moving to Texas or Arizona?
10x is up there in quality. I don't plan on moving out west, just want to try something different. I've been wearing the same style stuff year after year.
The Troll Whisperer
Tsal
Forum Decorum

Shriner's drive small parade cars.
The Troll Whisperer
Ronv69
Founding Member

Citizen B wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 3:44 pm
Ronv69 wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 3:26 pm Fezes used to be common in Houston. The local Arabian Shrine Temple of the Masons was huge and very active and you saw them everywhere when I was a kid. A fez was part of their uniform.
When I was 18, I bought a Shriner's fez at a thrift store. It was some dead man's fez. My father dissuaded me from wearing it. He didn't think Shriners would appreciate my attempt at fashion. He never let my brother or I wear my uncle's Purple Heart medal when we were kids for the same reason. It was for that reason that my brother and I both revere that Purple Heart, though my brother and I are very different people. He and I agree on very little. My brother still has it in the original box that was sent to my great-grandmother from President Roosevelt.

I earned a chestful of medals, some good ones to be proud of, among them. I never earned a Purple Heart. Ten years in the Navy during the Cold War, I never had the chance.
The Shriners put on the big circus every year and they had little fezes for kids. I had one of those. I would never wear my Mason uncles fez.
God and Texas!
Ronv69
Founding Member

Bruyere_Royale wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 3:54 pm Shriner's drive small parade cars.
I have a friend who is a Shriner clown and he has one. No longer running though.
God and Texas!
Citizen B
Raconteur Extraordinaire

Ronv69 wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 4:05 pm
Bruyere_Royale wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 3:54 pm Shriner's drive small parade cars.
I have a friend who is a Shriner clown and he has one. No longer running though.
I have never seen a Shriner entourage in a Mardi Gras parade but I don't see why they wouldn't show up. Maybe I don't go to the right parades.

I am much more familiar with the Elvis impersonators on motor scooters that we have. They are iconic local celebrities. You can see what you've been missing:

I am not a member of the Rolling Elvi.

I am not aware of Elvis ever wearing a hat except for this guy on the lead float on Canal Street in 2016:

-- The Rhinestone Dandy.
Tsal
Forum Decorum

Ronv69 wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 4:05 pm
I've seen a couple of Shriner parades when I was a little kid and the clown cars are all I can remember, that and the Fez...Good people.
The Troll Whisperer