Filters

Ruffinogold
The Mayor

I go by color and draw . If they look " too dark " and or the draw isn't up yo par with a dry hit .. I replace
" I believe adventure is nothing but a romantic name for trouble " L.L.
Puff nstuff

I am a noob, returning to pipe smoking some 30+ years after leaving the pipe behind. I have only a couple of pipes, but I intend to remedy that on short order. As a noob, I am still learning about the intricacies of filling, puffing, different tobacco types and their effects, proper moisture and management of the tobacco, etc. I am happy to know that the one pipe I own from the way back days accepts filters, because I am, as a noob, experiencing some minor tongue bite. I attribute this to my mouth not being used to the assault of the smoke, my lack of a developed cadence, and general ineptitude as a new smoker. So I am using the filters to help me through this learning curve, to weather the storm and temper the effects of the smoke on my tender mouth. I'm using Medicos and changing after each bowl, but I look forward to obtaining some Savinelli balsa wood filters, as my main smoker is a Sav Zulu. I understand the concept of removing some of the moisture from the smoke column to cut down on the heat and the alkalinity, so I'm hoping it helps me get where I want to be. I have a couple of non-filtered pipes as well, but I smoke them very gingerly.
Because sometimes the body just wants canned fish. 🦪
Middle Earth

100% prefer the balsa filters as second to no filter
Maynard

Middle Earth wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 9:22 am 100% prefer the balsa filters as second to no filter
Me too.
Puff nstuff

Update. I now have pipes and filters of all types, including a couple of non-filtered pipes that don't get much attention, unfortunately. I find I prefer to smoke filtered pipes - especially cobs and my Medico of late - and I change the filter and swab the pipe after every smoke session, seldom smoking more than one bowl consecutively on the same filter. I like it clean, I guess, and filters are cheap.
Wildcrow
Founding Member

I hated filters and always smoked without them. But, ive started using them because they are cheap and help to restrict the draw back to "normal". Im not gonna lie, i now prefer them. I havent had so much as a gurgle since ive started using them. And, my pipe cleaners pass as clean as a whistle through the stems.
My filters stay in place for a few smokes, or until i can taste the tar. Usually two smokes, but never overnight.
Puff nstuff

I've also started using the balsa inserts in a couple of my pipes and I'm impressed with the amount of moisture that they suck up.
Ronv69
Founding Member

The paper ones I may use for 2 bowls, maybe 3. The balsa I will dry in the sun and use up to a dozen times.
God and Texas!
Wildcrow
Founding Member

Ronv69 wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 9:06 pm The paper ones I may use for 2 bowls, maybe 3. The balsa I will dry in the sun and use up to a dozen times.
I cant see how these dont taste like hot garbage. I know you wouldnt smoke hot garbage flavored pipes, so it must work, but it escapes logic. But then again, i smoke the same cob 5 or 6 bowls a day, Mon - Fri and i dont notice any off flavors a pipe cleaner wont fix.
Mr Beardsley
Founding Member

Wildcrow wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 11:42 pm
Ronv69 wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 9:06 pm The paper ones I may use for 2 bowls, maybe 3. The balsa I will dry in the sun and use up to a dozen times.
I cant see how these dont taste like hot garbage. I know you wouldnt smoke hot garbage flavored pipes, so it must work, but it escapes logic. But then again, i smoke the same cob 5 or 6 bowls a day, Mon - Fri and i dont notice any off flavors a pipe cleaner wont fix.
Maybe it's like freshening up a cob. Toss it in some sunlight and the wicked rays work some magic on it that keeps it going like the energizer bunny
“If you try to fail, and succeed, which have you done?” - George Carlin