Mellow Corn

Mr Beardsley
Founding Member

Houtenziel wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 9:50 pm
Puff nstuff wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 8:07 pm
Ruffinogold wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 4:21 pm Its corn whiskey . That should tell you something right there .

Its uncomplicated , no doubt , the finish is corn and grain taste and pretty quick . Sure , for corn whiskey , its pretty good , especially compared to whatever uncle Enis was making etc .. However , for the same price as that stuff you could buy a bottle of Evan Willaims Black Label Bourbon . Its Bourbon , Pip , and pretty good Bourbon to boot . Or , a bottle of Henry McKenna 80 proof , which is a bit higher in the rye mash compared to Evan Williams black . Both are excellent for their price , imho

If you want to expand your horizons , while youre at it , buy some Mad Dog , some Ripple , Canadian Hunter whiskey and some boones Farm .... youll be well rounded in what isnt very good after that , if you catch my drift

The reason why Corn whiskey is even being talked about is because the " craft " whiskey folks are making it because the shit theyve made isnt even ready as a bourbon , so corn whiskey is something to sell in the mean time too , again , imho

Dont get me wrong . Theres nothing wrong with Corn Whiskey but [ Id drink it ] , as far as the OP of have you had any experience with this stuff ... Yes I have , which is why I recommend Evan Williams Black or Henry McKenna 80 proof because its the same price point and the two I mentioned , and others , I just think youd enjoy more
I agree with you on the quality of EW and McKenna's - hell, all three of these are made by the same company. But the fact that MC is a straight corn doesn't necessarily make it a lesser product than the others.

Most bourbon is mostly corn whisky, in fact. And MC, being bottled-in-bond, means it's aged in barrels for at least 4 years and it comes in at 100 proof, so there is no question about its level of quality. Also, they've been making it for years, so its noteriety is not really a result of some recent marketing scheme; it's a good niche product that we're lucky they're still making available; you can't blame the hipsters for taking note of it. My point is, it's a different product from bourbon, and it fills a different space, and not one that I would liken to Mad Dog or Boone's Farm, for God's sake!

Pip asked specifically about this product, which I think is much better than its price point would have one believe - and for a non-whisky drinker, I think it makes a good entry point to more full flavored spirits. But Pip doesn't drink anymore, so really, this is all academic!

:lol:

All good points. And let's just set the record state that Corn Likker is not some hipster thing, and it clearly ain't a craft/artisan/whatever you want to call it fad. I recently received some country edumacation on the subject of corn from a jar from some of the locals here, and it's more like a long standing American tradition. They make the straight bourbons and regular bourbons for the more refined folks who's palettes can't handle the real thing(their words, not mine). Most corn whiskeys that are "traditionally" made are clear spirits that basically spend no time on oak, and are a totally different breed from something coming out of Heaven Hill.. which Mckenna does too.
Mellow Corn is like cool-whip compared to the full fat whipped cream of the real shit. It's still good on apple pie either way. It also never involves TTB agents busting your door down.
I feel like it's kinda splitting hairs when we are talking 51% or better corn in the mashbill for a straight bourbon, and anything higher than that. Mellow Corn tastes more like a regular bourbon to me than some of the lower corn content bottles costing a lot more.. Noah's Mill for instance, from Willett. That's a $60 bottle that tastes like spicy creamed corn. I'll take Mellow Corn all day long, and I'd be able to get 5 bottles for the same price.

And @Mr Beardsley, you should come here and drive through. It's one of the most beautiful and friendly places I have ever been. The Kentucky/Tennessee area is hard to beat in many, many ways. Whiskey and DFK is just a bonus.
It's definitely on the list to visit. And we don't have a lot of ties to a region (my dad and sisters still live in CA, and I have family in KS) but we don't have children or anything like that to consider. Anyplace is really on the list of possibilities to live for us, states where my wife's license (licensed psychiatric technician) carries straight across get somewhat stronger consideration
“If you try to fail, and succeed, which have you done?” - George Carlin
Puff nstuff

Why, all this talk...

Well, don't mind if I do! It's almost Friday!

Because sometimes the body just wants canned fish. 🦪
Mr Beardsley
Founding Member

Puff nstuff wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 10:56 pm Why, all this talk...

Censored (kronic) was always my favorite from lagunitas. Looks like it's no longer available but luckily pizza port chronic (which I always thought was just a tad better) still is
Puff nstuff

Mr Beardsley wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 11:10 pm

Censored (kronic) was always my favorite from lagunitas. Looks like it's no longer available but luckily pizza port chronic (which I always thought was just a tad better) still is
PP Chronic is delicious! I've been buying it at Aldi lately, of all places. I also picked up, on a whim, some Monty Python Holy Grail ale the other day, and damned if it wasn't really good. Kinda down the same road as Chronic, but heavier. My kinda beer, especially with the weather cooling off.
Because sometimes the body just wants canned fish. 🦪
Mr Beardsley
Founding Member

Puff nstuff wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 11:25 pm
Mr Beardsley wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 11:10 pm

PP Chronic is delicious! I've been buying it at Aldi lately, of all places. I also picked up, on a whim, some Monty Python Holy Grail ale the other day, and damned if it wasn't really good. Kinda down the same road as Chronic, but heavier. My kinda beer, especially with the weather cooling off.
Yessir we're entering into my favorite beer season... Barrel aged stouts. Doing the whole keto thing I don't indulge (in full strength beers) much anymore
Ronv69
Founding Member

Not knocking the Mello Corn, as I've never seen it. Drink what you like. The only straight corn likker I have ever tasted was denatured jet fuel. Brought to Texas by a gen-u-wine Tennessee bootlegger. Too much for me. Took the hair out of my nose though.
God and Texas!
Kevin Keith
Grand Poobah

Ronv69 wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 12:04 pm Not knocking the Mello Corn, as I've never seen it. Drink what you like. The only straight corn likker I have ever tasted was denatured jet fuel. Brought to Texas by a gen-u-wine Tennessee bootlegger. Too much for me. Took the hair out of my nose though.
FJB
Vote Trump 2024!
Kevin Keith
Grand Poobah

Kevin Keith wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 4:00 pm
Ronv69 wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 12:04 pm Not knocking the Mello Corn, as I've never seen it. Drink what you like. The only straight corn likker I have ever tasted was denatured jet fuel. Brought to Texas by a gen-u-wine Tennessee bootlegger. Too much for me. Took the hair out of my nose though.
George was an good ol’ boy from deep East Texas who def liked his corn in liquid form.
FJB
Vote Trump 2024!
Houtenziel
Codger in Training

Ronv69 wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 12:04 pm The only straight corn likker I have ever tasted was denatured jet fuel.
Yep, that sounds about right. It's usually not cut down. The stuff I tried was 160 proof. Not exactly your casual sipper..
“To educate a person in the mind but not in morals is to educate a menace to society.”
― Theodore Roosevelt
Citizen B
Raconteur Extraordinaire

Are you drinking out of baby food jars?

I have to admit that Mellow Corn does have a nice label. That's the nicest label of the bunch.
-- The Rhinestone Dandy.