Middleton’s Cherry Blend Discontinued - Advice Needed

Lostdog5152
Member in Good Standing

birdog wrote: Sat Feb 05, 2022 8:08 pm I too miss Middleton Cherry Blend and agree that the flavoring may not be cherry, or some combo.

If the contents of the cigars are the same, perhaps a knowledgeable tobacconist blender out there can try to duplicate...tear a bunch of them apart and try to figure it out....I believe there would be many of us that would be very pleased. Can't blame Altria I guess because their profit/volume from the cigars is probably ten times that of bulk cherry blend pipe tobacco sales. I called them several times to no avail, when it became unavailable.

... the balance of burley with a splash of virginias in Cherry blend doesn't seem too different than the base tobacco blend in Carter Hall.., but with different flavorants. I have tried the various "alternative" and "match" cherry blends out there and they don't come close, mostly because they aren't trying to clone the original , but coming up with a blend with cherry flavoring.....

...one of the most pleasing aspects of Middleton Cherry Blend is the room note...very unique and pleasing. ...and it has that certain zest that must come from the little light virginias in it.
Has anyone figured this out yet?
The room note on Middleton Cherry Blend is my all time favorite. I have wished many times over the years I could smoke it. It was not through lack of trying. For some reason it bites the heck out of me like no other tobacco ever did. It must be a body chemistry thing as other OTC burley blends give me no problem at all. Evidently whatever topping makes Cherry Blend smell so good tries to rip my tongue out.
Wildcat
Codger in Training

@Lostdog5152 I didn't get it at first. I about gave up on it.
It was @Ruffinogold talking about it and it's merits that made me dive in and figure it out. Glad I did. I was a real junkie for a while, until the great discontinued debacle. Cherry Blend, the best non-cherry, cherry blend there is! Best smoke I ever had with coffee, a match made in heaven.
I wonder if "blame Wildcat" will become a theme here? - Fr_Tom
Mr Beardsley
Founding Member

Ruffinogold wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 3:02 pm
Riff89 wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 11:13 am
Wildcat wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 8:55 am My opinion is that all CB matches, including WVsmokeshop's match and Mid-Town Cherry: All Sutliff. All close, but not perfect, especially in tobacco cut.

I've often thought how it would be after drying (the matches are better dry)and tossing some in a food processor like a Bullet. Maybe that's the ticket.

Like @Ruffinogold I have an unopened tub waiting in the wings. While I was away last week, these showed up at my doorstep, a gift from PipeStud. All unopened. I'm very anxious to open the CB and try what is was like 50 +/- years ago.

I’m interested in what you find flavor and aroma wise in the old CB. Every blend I’ve tried from that era had a similar thing going on it’s a slightly floral smell not lakelandesque or anything but I’m beginning to think as burley ages it gets this really cool vintage smell. The 50s half and half had it as well as both old George Washington I tried. I’m curious if this stuff will be the same. It’s awesome and I dig it.
Youre right . Burley does have a unique age thing ... its awesome .... but remember the know it alls some years back ?! ... " Burley doesnt age " ..... lets just agree with them , lol , and get the aged shit for ourselves
I'm glad you mentioned that. I'll include a couple flakes of wessex burley slice from 2000 when I get stuff packed up. Lol
“If you try to fail, and succeed, which have you done?” - George Carlin
Ruffinogold
The Mayor

Lostdog5152 wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 9:32 pm
birdog wrote: Sat Feb 05, 2022 8:08 pm I too miss Middleton Cherry Blend and agree that the flavoring may not be cherry, or some combo.

If the contents of the cigars are the same, perhaps a knowledgeable tobacconist blender out there can try to duplicate...tear a bunch of them apart and try to figure it out....I believe there would be many of us that would be very pleased. Can't blame Altria I guess because their profit/volume from the cigars is probably ten times that of bulk cherry blend pipe tobacco sales. I called them several times to no avail, when it became unavailable.

... the balance of burley with a splash of virginias in Cherry blend doesn't seem too different than the base tobacco blend in Carter Hall.., but with different flavorants. I have tried the various "alternative" and "match" cherry blends out there and they don't come close, mostly because they aren't trying to clone the original , but coming up with a blend with cherry flavoring.....

...one of the most pleasing aspects of Middleton Cherry Blend is the room note...very unique and pleasing. ...and it has that certain zest that must come from the little light virginias in it.
Has anyone figured this out yet?
The room note on Middleton Cherry Blend is my all time favorite. I have wished many times over the years I could smoke it. It was not through lack of trying. For some reason it bites the heck out of me like no other tobacco ever did. It must be a body chemistry thing as other OTC burley blends give me no problem at all. Evidently whatever topping makes Cherry Blend smell so good tries to rip my tongue out.
It used to whoop my ass . Im not saying it wont continue to bite you , Im not , but it was when I started filling firmer with it that it cooled down . Firm but not packed tight ... shy of that . But honestly , I guess its too late anyway . Its gone , sadly . And youre right , the aroma is fabulous . It was the first blend that my wife had down pat , as far as aroma . Id lite it and within a minute she'd say ... " Thats MCB , right ?! " ... To me , it just screams PIPE TOBACCO aroma . God , I love it :) IM gonna take my kid to a doc appointment and fire some up on the way . I smoke it sparingly these days
" I believe adventure is nothing but a romantic name for trouble " L.L.
cigrmaster
Member in Good Standing

The winner of any type of Cherry Blend is Cult Blood Red Moon. I am not a big aromatic guy but the ones I know say nothing beats the Cult. Now you are probably saying I ain't buying no tin as it is too much dough. There is a bulk version of the Blood Red Moon but I am not sure what they call it. Ask around the different web sites to find it. It does exist.
Harris
Ruffinogold
The Mayor

Blood red moon is good . And mb seven seas red too :thumbs:
Lostdog5152
Member in Good Standing

cigrmaster wrote: Thu Feb 10, 2022 2:19 pm The winner of any type of Cherry Blend is Cult Blood Red Moon. I am not a big aromatic guy but the ones I know say nothing beats the Cult. Now you are probably saying I ain't buying no tin as it is too much dough. There is a bulk version of the Blood Red Moon but I am not sure what they call it. Ask around the different web sites to find it. It does exist.
I have smoked some Blood Red Moon and it is indeed good if you are looking for a cherry blend. Its not my cup of tea but the cherries are there in spades. I would recommend it as long as I didn't have to smoke it if that makes any sense.
Ruffinogold
The Mayor

Lostdog5152 wrote: Thu Feb 10, 2022 8:29 pm
cigrmaster wrote: Thu Feb 10, 2022 2:19 pm The winner of any type of Cherry Blend is Cult Blood Red Moon. I am not a big aromatic guy but the ones I know say nothing beats the Cult. Now you are probably saying I ain't buying no tin as it is too much dough. There is a bulk version of the Blood Red Moon but I am not sure what they call it. Ask around the different web sites to find it. It does exist.
I have smoked some Blood Red Moon and it is indeed good if you are looking for a cherry blend. Its not my cup of tea but the cherries are there in spades. I would recommend it as long as I didn't have to smoke it if that makes any sense.
It makes perfect sense . I appreciate people who can " get it " when it comes to aromatics as a whole :thumbs:
Mr Beardsley
Founding Member

Ruffinogold wrote: Thu Feb 10, 2022 4:55 pm Blood red moon is good . And mb seven seas red too :thumbs:
Your red headed bombshell is the perfect cherry aro for me. Just enough flavor that I knew it was there and it didn't disappear on me like most do
“If you try to fail, and succeed, which have you done?” - George Carlin