Inflation.

rekamepip
Codger in Training

Tsal wrote: ↑Fri Mar 04, 2022 6:33 pm
Mr Beardsley wrote: ↑Fri Mar 04, 2022 6:24 pm
Tsal wrote: ↑Fri Mar 04, 2022 5:44 pm
:lol:
I'm sure the reason really was a fill up but I remember my dad not caring about the wait time, he was happy about the steak knives tho..I remember it like it was yesterday.
There's no substitute for a good steak knife
They still slice nice!
It was the 70's, back when real toys were inside cereal boxes. πŸ‘
Yeah the kind of toys that were sharp edged choking hazards coated in lead based paint
those were the good ole days πŸ‘
Tsal
Forum Decorum

rekamepip wrote: ↑Fri Mar 04, 2022 6:57 pm

They still slice nice!
Yeah the kind of toys that were sharp edged choking hazards coated in lead based paint
Right!? Kids these days are missing out.
The Troll Whisperer
Ronv69
Founding Member

rekamepip wrote: ↑Fri Mar 04, 2022 6:57 pm

They still slice nice!
Well, I lived through it and I had a good time, so what's your point?
God and Texas!
Riff89

Tsal wrote: ↑Fri Mar 04, 2022 5:44 pm
:lol:
I'm sure the reason really was a fill up but I remember my dad not caring about the wait time, he was happy about the steak knives tho..I remember it like it was yesterday.
They still slice nice!
I almost always end up using my pocket knife at restaurants because the steak knives are usually pretty terrible. It irks my wife to no end when we’re at a nice restaurant and I pull out the ole case trapper. I can’t help it if my knife cuts better than theirs.
Wildcat
Codger in Training

Citizen B wrote: ↑Fri Mar 04, 2022 3:14 pm You know those little cardboard boxes of hard circular candy, Jaw Busters, the original jaw breakers, the little ones made by Ferrara Pan? The little box that has always said, for years, "Only 25 Cents!." Those boxes have cost 25 cents for years.

The box doesn't say that anymore. It doesn't say anything. They don't want to be printing up new box designs every month as prices go up.

Hereabouts, the price of a box of Jaw Busters is 30 cents.

Jennifer checked the boxes I had picked up at check-out. "If the box says 25 cents, I have to give it to you for 25 cents," she said. That's why I keep going there.

All of my boxes were factory fresh and labeled for any future price spiral.

I'm sure you've had similar experiences. It's like the 1970s all over again.
I remember when comics went from 20Β’ to 25Β’, 30Β’, 35Β’ etc, quicker than quick in the 70s. I can't imagine what one costs now, as I haven't purchased a new comic in 20 years +/-. How do kids afford it? What am I saying, kids don't read comics anymore. Video games are the new comics from what I read. @mrpipster what does a new comic cost today? (See what I did there @Citizen B )

Regarding your Jaw Busters story B, I'm a big fan of Arizona's Rx Energy Herbal Tonic. It has always sported a big, bold 99Β’ graphic on the can. Not anymore. Buyer beware.

I wonder if "blame Wildcat" will become a theme here? - Fr_Tom
Citizen B
Raconteur Extraordinaire

Riff89 wrote: ↑Fri Mar 04, 2022 9:12 pm

They still slice nice!
I almost always end up using my pocket knife at restaurants because the steak knives are usually pretty terrible. It irks my wife to no end when we’re at a nice restaurant and I pull out the ole case trapper. I can’t help it if my knife cuts better than theirs.
I always carry my high-carbon Opinel for when I need to do some quality cutting.
-- The Rhinestone Dandy.
Riff89

Citizen B wrote: ↑Sat Mar 05, 2022 3:05 pm
Riff89 wrote: ↑Fri Mar 04, 2022 9:12 pm
They still slice nice!
I always carry my high-carbon Opinel for when I need to do some quality cutting.
They are great pocket knives I ended up buying another one after I lost my original. It’s my second choice for an every day knife and only because the trapper is a little slimmer and I have a sheath that holds it tighter to my hip. The Opinel is a little bigger and tends to get caught on things.
sisyphus
Person of Interest

I really felt inflation Friday when I bought groceries. I'm just going to add $60 to my list now so I'm not disheartened after checkout.
Liberty cannot be purchased by a wish.
Thomas Paine
Tsal
Forum Decorum

It's a mad world when your paying 23 dollars a pound for higher cuts of beef around these parts. Chop steak it is fellas.
The Troll Whisperer
Wildcat
Codger in Training

Tsal wrote: ↑Sun Mar 06, 2022 8:51 am It's a mad world when your paying 23 dollars a pound for higher cuts of beef around these parts. Chop steak it is fellas.
:shock: For reals??!!
I wonder if "blame Wildcat" will become a theme here? - Fr_Tom