Surprising knife set

webmost

Enjoy your smokes
Ronv69
Founding Member

Riff89 wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 5:28 pm Whoa is me. I can’t find my opinel! I didn’t want to start a new thread to whine on but jeeze I’m bummed. It’s been my go to edc knife for about a year now. I can buy a new one but I want my old one back damnit. I’m positive that it’s gonna be in the last place I look for it but I’m the meantime the search continues. I’ve been carrying my case trapper again but I prefer to carry that one on my belt and I’ve been wearing my bib overalls a lot so it was nice having the #8 carbon steel light weight and sharp as hell!
I left mine in the tackle box and the next time I opened it, my Opinel was rusted to nothing. 😢🤬
God and Texas!
Riff89

@Ronv69 that sucks! They really are awesome knives I’m a huge fan of carbon steel I have a stainless one I keep around but it just isn’t as great as the carbon. I gave mine a forced patina with mustard to protect it a little bit.
webmost

Never heard of the mustard method.
I always use a lemon to blue a blade.
Have to try mustard next time.
Enjoy your smokes
Riff89

Not the greatest picture of it but I used a balled up paper towel to blot mustard on the blade and left it to sit for several hours then wiped it off and oiled it up. It gave it a cool pattern. I used vinegar on my case trapper with good results as well it’s just a more even and all over patina. Either way it definitely helps to protect the steel.
Ruffinogold
The Mayor

Ok , so I found the distributor of Cattlemans cutlery ... they also make Roper knives and a brand called elite
I know these are china stuff but they are as good or better than rough rider , which seem to have a good following these days for a cheap decent knife . My stockman has no blade play , tight ass snap and I can sharpen it pretty good . Its holds an edge decent during light duty work

It seems that the roper brand uses 1065 carbon steel
Cattlemans is the cheap 3cr stuff
Elite uses D2 and some in 8cr

Just an fyi if youre looking for something cheap but decent

https://abkt.com/
" I believe adventure is nothing but a romantic name for trouble " L.L.
Mr Beardsley
Founding Member

Since this thread was revived and someone mentioned mustard for patina I'll post this. I soaked 3 knives that were rusty as hell in citric acid and water (citric acid is readily available. Use it to clean your coffee maker instead of vinegar and thank me later) The soak softens the rust which then scrubbed off with a scotch Brite and left a deep patina. Sharpen afterwards
ImageImage
“If you try to fail, and succeed, which have you done?” - George Carlin