I need help

Ruffinogold
The Mayor

Mr Beardsley wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 3:47 pm Okay I have an extra couple of minutes and can explain some of the things in my previous post a little bit more. All of these systems, regardless of price tag, make you think that you can just use the marks / detent / whatever they have for an angle marker to go to town and get a killer edge on a blade. Doesn't work that way! Every knife is different. The part that these companies never tell you is that depending on the size of the blade, from the cutting edge to the spine, changes your angle. So sliding a gizmo to a 20 degree mark for a blade that's 1 1/2" tall vs a blade that's 3/4" tall doesn't work.

On my high buck wicked edge they should have left the marks and detent off and it would make the functionality even better. That's where the biggest flaw in the miracle sharpeners is. Get a digital angle gauge and a sharpie and I guarantee you will be able to make a dull blade razor sharp.

Another thing I always do is to run the sharpening stones into the cutting edge. On my wicked edge the blade clamps in facing upwards. So I swipe down and forward with the stones. When I get to the ceramic stones, I reverse that and swipe up away from the cutting edge. It seems to work better and it saves your ceramics from being gouged by a sharp knife.

Long story short, forget their marketing bullshit and get your angle correct on your own. Then it will prove to be more than a $50 paperweight
I have an old school protractor , lol

Digital Angle gauge .... didnt know that existed . It sounds cool .. I want one

I get what you mean about the height . Yeah , its a bullshit deal and they shouldnt even bother putting a degree on there . They should just number them

This is a tad off topic : Ya know what blows my mind ? Most knife manufactures use belt sanding and they do it my hand . I messaged Buck once to find their angle degree and they said its approx. around 18 degrees . Because its done my hand , it is here or there a bit . Ive watched videos of different companies sharpening and many do it that way . Its a mind blower that they dont use ceramic motorized wheels that are set . They could then damn near guarantee an exact degree and the end result would be better , imho . When I buy a knife Ill look at each side of the blade and they are generally not the same degree There was a guy locally that had these german ceramic wheels set at angles and I used to go to him until he left the area some years ago . He said they were very expensive to purchase ... but C'mon . Buck , Gerber , Kabar etc .. they could afford it
" I believe adventure is nothing but a romantic name for trouble " L.L.
Ronv69
Founding Member

They don't need them as they know what they are doing. 😊
God and Texas!
Mr Beardsley
Founding Member

Ruffinogold wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 4:49 pm
Mr Beardsley wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 3:47 pm Okay I have an extra couple of minutes and can explain some of the things in my previous post a little bit more. All of these systems, regardless of price tag, make you think that you can just use the marks / detent / whatever they have for an angle marker to go to town and get a killer edge on a blade. Doesn't work that way! Every knife is different. The part that these companies never tell you is that depending on the size of the blade, from the cutting edge to the spine, changes your angle. So sliding a gizmo to a 20 degree mark for a blade that's 1 1/2" tall vs a blade that's 3/4" tall doesn't work.

On my high buck wicked edge they should have left the marks and detent off and it would make the functionality even better. That's where the biggest flaw in the miracle sharpeners is. Get a digital angle gauge and a sharpie and I guarantee you will be able to make a dull blade razor sharp.

Another thing I always do is to run the sharpening stones into the cutting edge. On my wicked edge the blade clamps in facing upwards. So I swipe down and forward with the stones. When I get to the ceramic stones, I reverse that and swipe up away from the cutting edge. It seems to work better and it saves your ceramics from being gouged by a sharp knife.

Long story short, forget their marketing bullshit and get your angle correct on your own. Then it will prove to be more than a $50 paperweight
I have an old school protractor , lol

Digital Angle gauge .... didnt know that existed . It sounds cool .. I want one

I get what you mean about the height . Yeah , its a bullshit deal and they shouldnt even bother putting a degree on there . They should just number them

This is a tad off topic : Ya know what blows my mind ? Most knife manufactures use belt sanding and they do it my hand . I messaged Buck once to find their angle degree and they said its approx. around 18 degrees . Because its done my hand , it is here or there a bit . Ive watched videos of different companies sharpening and many do it that way . Its a mind blower that they dont use ceramic motorized wheels that are set . They could then damn near guarantee an exact degree and the end result would be better , imho . When I buy a knife Ill look at each side of the blade and they are generally not the same degree There was a guy locally that had these german ceramic wheels set at angles and I used to go to him until he lest the area some years ago . He said they were very expensive to purchase ... but C'mon . Buck , Gerber , Kabar etc .. they could afford it
This is the one I use. It comes in handy when you want to do funky stuff on a table saw or whatnot too. It's cool because you set it on your table or whatever and hit the zero button. Then it just reads the angle in real time as you move it

Wixey Digital Angle Gauge Type 2 with Magnetic Base and Backlight https://a.co/d/hu0otzm

The folks at Benchmade told me that same thing about their blades and the one knife that I have from them came to me very dull so I believe it. Everything I ever bought from protech was shaving sharp and I know for a fact that they sharpen by hand. I ain't that good so I use a system lol
“If you try to fail, and succeed, which have you done?” - George Carlin
Ronv69
Founding Member

The best luck I ever had sharpening knives was with the paper wheels I picked up at a gun show. Once the edge is at the proper angle it only takes a minute to bring them to a shaving edge.
God and Texas!
Ruffinogold
The Mayor

Ronv69 wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 4:53 pm They don't need them as they know what they are doing. 😊
Lol ya bastid :lol:
Ruffinogold
The Mayor

So , wearing two pair of reading glasses and a flashlight , I can actually see the angle thats on the blade in order to adjust this damn sharpener to make it work decent .

Ya know whats ridiculous .... the whole degrees thing on it is such bullshit . They should have just numbered it 1 through however many .. and heres why . ...

If you have a small pocket knife on the gizmo and set it to 18 degrees , then its at " that angle " to that blade . Keeping it in the same setting and then putting say a medium fixed blade on it ..... the setting may be at 18 degrees still , but the distance the rod travels outward changes the angle by alot ... its a joke , it really is

So , in order for this gimmick thing to work , forget the degrees on the damn thing and get a magnifying glass or something to be able to see the ceramic pads lay on the blade at the correct angle and then youre good to go

Its not really a crap sharpener , its just that its a bs gimmick as far as its settings

I was actually able to repair a badly worn blade today . It was a coast knife with lame cheap steel that it very soft . Of course , i dont know if anyone could get that knife razor sharp , with teh sharp smith I was able to get and even angle on both sides and got it decent sharp , which is something I havent been able to do with it since the edge angle got hosed up

Btw , the Black Fire flashlight is versatile and a good value

So I no longer hate this thing . It now has a working purpose for me

Mr Beardsley
Founding Member

Ruffinogold wrote: Sat Jul 01, 2023 2:49 pm So , wearing two pair of reading glasses and a flashlight , I can actually see the angle thats on the blade in order to adjust this damn sharpener to make it work decent .

Ya know whats ridiculous .... the whole degrees thing on it is such bullshit . They should have just numbered it 1 through however many .. and heres why . ...

If you have a small pocket knife on the gizmo and set it to 18 degrees , then its at " that angle " to that blade . Keeping it in the same setting and then putting say a medium fixed blade on it ..... the setting may be at 18 degrees still , but the distance the rod travels outward changes the angle by alot ... its a joke , it really is

So , in order for this gimmick thing to work , forget the degrees on the damn thing and get a magnifying glass or something to be able to see the ceramic pads lay on the blade at the correct angle and then youre good to go

Its not really a crap sharpener , its just that its a bs gimmick as far as its settings

I was actually able to repair a badly worn blade today . It was a coast knife with lame cheap steel that it very soft . Of course , i dont know if anyone could get that knife razor sharp , with teh sharp smith I was able to get and even angle on both sides and got it decent sharp , which is something I havent been able to do with it since the edge angle got hosed up

Agreed. Even on my silly expensive wicked edge the angle presets are bunk. That's why somewhere earlier in the thread I recommended you pick up a digital angle gauge like the wixey. :thumbs: little sharpie on the cutting edge, a swipe with the stone to reveal where it's at, go to town
Ruffinogold
The Mayor

Mr Beardsley wrote: Sat Jul 01, 2023 3:35 pm
Ruffinogold wrote: Sat Jul 01, 2023 2:49 pm So , wearing two pair of reading glasses and a flashlight , I can actually see the angle thats on the blade in order to adjust this damn sharpener to make it work decent .

Agreed. Even on my silly expensive wicked edge the angle presets are bunk. That's why somewhere earlier in the thread I recommended you pick up a digital angle gauge like the wixey. :thumbs: little sharpie on the cutting edge, a swipe with the stone to reveal where it's at, go to town
Im lazy . My eyesight just isnt like it was was I was 25 . Back in the day , Id have zeroed in like a mofo :thumbs:

But yeah , its pretty cool once you can see what youre doing . I have this crappy coast double lock bs knife that I abuse . I abused it so much that the edge was just so messed up but I was able to " repair it " with the work sharp .. so thats cool
Mr Beardsley
Founding Member

Ruffinogold wrote: Sat Jul 01, 2023 4:03 pm

Im lazy . My eyesight just isnt like it was was I was 25 . Back in the day , Id have zeroed in like a mofo :thumbs:

But yeah , its pretty cool once you can see what youre doing . I have this crappy coast double lock bs knife that I abuse . I abused it so much that the edge was just so messed up but I was able to " repair it " with the work sharp .. so thats cool
I hear ya, my vision has slipped big time. If I don't get to a project early, I'm done. Most of the time I use my cell phone camera to zoom in on small stuff
Ruffinogold
The Mayor

Mr Beardsley wrote: Sat Jul 01, 2023 4:13 pm
Ruffinogold wrote: Sat Jul 01, 2023 4:03 pm

I hear ya, my vision has slipped big time. If I don't get to a project early, I'm done. Most of the time I use my cell phone camera to zoom in on small stuff
Lol .. the macro setting is killer