Latest Pipe Purchase 2022

Mr Beardsley
Founding Member

Jlando19 wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 6:10 pm
Ruffinogold wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 6:06 pm
Jlando19 wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 5:04 pm I went to the big monthly flea market in my neighborhood today. Found a few items and exchanged numbers with the gentleman who had these. He said there’s more and that he’d bring along what he has next month.

I managed to break the stem off this thing while taking the photo. The bowl is in great shape but the stem didn’t look like it was going to make it long any how.

ImageImage
I got plenty of MM stems . I could shoot you a package
Man that would be cool! I’m trying to decide what’s the best way to about getting the rest of it out. I know it’s going to break into a million pieces once I put some torque on it.
It's like a dried up scab. Give it a pull and see what happens
“If you try to fail, and succeed, which have you done?” - George Carlin
Jlando19

Mr Beardsley wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 6:41 pm
Jlando19 wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 6:10 pm
Ruffinogold wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 6:06 pm

I got plenty of MM stems . I could shoot you a package
Man that would be cool! I’m trying to decide what’s the best way to about getting the rest of it out. I know it’s going to break into a million pieces once I put some torque on it.
It's like a dried up scab. Give it a pull and see what happens
I’ll take some more photos before I give it a shot. You can see all the cracks in what I can only imagine is an acrylic stem. I don’t know how long it takes that stuff to dry rot but I bet Texas weather expedited the process.
"Good enough" is a false idol. Beware those that preach its virtue.
Silver
Certified Codger

These came in the mail today. A Dagner Poker (rear) and a Southport Ferryman (front).

Fidibusz

Silver wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 9:58 pm These came in the mail today. A Dagner Poker (rear) and a Southport Ferryman (front).

Both nice looking cobs. Was just looking at them online about an hour ago as I figure out what tobaccos to order.
Silver
Certified Codger

Fidibusz wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 10:12 pm
Silver wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 9:58 pm These came in the mail today. A Dagner Poker (rear) and a Southport Ferryman (front).

Both nice looking cobs. Was just looking at them online about an hour ago as I figure out what tobaccos to order.
Breaking in the Dagner as I type this. I've liked the looks of this pipe since it came out. I wasn't sure that I'd like the length. No problem, there. Very happy with it. The Ferryman is also a good looking pipe.
Fidibusz

Silver wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 10:18 pm
Fidibusz wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 10:12 pm
Silver wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 9:58 pm

Breaking in the Dagner as I type this. I've liked the looks of this pipe since it came out. I wasn't sure that I'd like the length. No problem, there. Very happy with it. The Ferryman is also a good looking pipe.
Been thinking about a Dagner for over a year. Tried to buy one from Aristocob but could not get the site to work. Don’t think I have seen them at Smoking Pipes before. Maybe I will get one.
Wildcat
Codger in Training

Never pulled the trigger, but I've always liked their cob poker. Enjoy !

@Silver who was the vendor you ordered from?
I wonder if "blame Wildcat" will become a theme here? - Fr_Tom
Jlando19

Mr Beardsley wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 6:41 pm It's like a dried up scab. Give it a pull and see what happens
So this is what the stem looked like. The part that was actually in the shank was really tacky and soft almost. It wouldn’t pull out at all. So I patiently hand filed it away. I was careful as I could be to keep it even and I think I managed to get it all out with little damage to the shank. All though I did manage to misplace the little metal ferrule. 🤦🏻

Mr Beardsley
Founding Member

Jlando19 wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 8:10 pm
Mr Beardsley wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 6:41 pm It's like a dried up scab. Give it a pull and see what happens
So this is what the stem looked like. The part that was actually in the shank was really tacky and soft almost. It wouldn’t pull out at all. So I patiently hand filed it away. I was careful as I could be to keep it even and I think I managed to get it all out with little damage to the shank. All though I did manage to misplace the little metal ferrule. 🤦🏻

Hindsight being what it is I probably would have nipped that with some cutters and used a dental pick to pull out the pieces in the shank
“If you try to fail, and succeed, which have you done?” - George Carlin
Jlando19

Mr Beardsley wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 9:28 pm
Jlando19 wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 8:10 pm

Hindsight being what it is I probably would have nipped that with some cutters and used a dental pick to pull out the pieces in the shank
Believe it or not. I tried that method but with a different type of hook tool. It’s like it was glued in at some point.