Cleaning Stems

Silver
Certified Codger

Before and after pics of some pipe stems I worked on today. They look really bad in the before, but its just surface oxidation from alcohol used to clean the airways. I get a little messy. I used 400-600-1000-2000-4000-6000-12000 wet sandpaper (yeah, it can take a little time). Polish it with a creamy toothpaste. Apply Obsidian oil.

Image Image
Ruffinogold
The Mayor

Silver wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 5:55 pm Before and after pics of some pipe stems I worked on today. They look really bad in the before, but its just surface oxidation from alcohol used to clean the airways. I get a little messy. I used 400-600-1000-2000-4000-6000-12000 wet sandpaper (yeah, it can take a little time). Polish it with a creamy toothpaste. Apply Obsidian oil.

Image Image
Sexxxxxxxxxxxxxxxy :thumbs:
" I believe adventure is nothing but a romantic name for trouble " L.L.
Woodrow1953

I’ve found any safe mild abrasive will work pretty well. I used to buy some stuff from Walkers Pipe Repair, BUT they don’t sell it any more under the new management. Rather disappointing really. I suppose Walkers wants us to mail the pipe to them. Not always the convenient option.

I think any paste that is a mild abrasive will work well. Toothpaste is very safe, and I’ve had luck with the brands especially with baking sofa. Flitz works well, comets fine, bartenders friend is good.

Personally I like to stay away from sanding pads. I’ve found that chasing green away with the sanding pads can inadvertently sand away too much producing a step from the briar to the stem.

Buffers are your friends if you have one. If you don’t they’re certainly handy in your garage. If you don’t have one, no problem. A good denture brush will do the trick.

Oxyclean softens things up. Stay away from bleach. It pits the stem. Oxyclean pads, or a mild solution of Oxyclean for 20 minutes as mentioned will not pit the stem, followed by toothpaste works well, followed by olive oil is safe.

For bowl freshening I’ve had good luck with a cotton ball soaked is isopropyl alcohol. Soak about 3 of them and stuff them into the bowl and let it sit overnight. Cleaned Ennerdale out of a bowl and worked very well. If you don’t want isopropyl try vodka. The water content is higher. Everclear has been used too.

If you like the feel of vulcanite and want to replace be sure to try a Cumberland stem. Cumberland has great mouth feel, and virtually no oxidizing.
Bill Wood
Melfort, Sk, Canada
Non profit web developer
Retired broadcaster

Stanwell / Brigham / Peterson
Kevin Keith
Grand Poobah

Woodrow1953 wrote: Sun Jul 24, 2022 9:15 pm I’ve found any safe mild abrasive will work pretty well. I used to buy some stuff from Walkers Pipe Repair, BUT they don’t sell it any more under the new management. Rather disappointing really. I suppose Walkers wants us to mail the pipe to them. Not always the convenient option.

I think any paste that is a mild abrasive will work well. Toothpaste is very safe, and I’ve had luck with the brands especially with baking sofa. Flitz works well, comets fine, bartenders friend is good.

Personally I like to stay away from sanding pads. I’ve found that chasing green away with the sanding pads can inadvertently sand away too much producing a step from the briar to the stem.

Buffers are your friends if you have one. If you don’t they’re certainly handy in your garage. If you don’t have one, no problem. A good denture brush will do the trick.

Oxyclean softens things up. Stay away from bleach. It pits the stem. Oxyclean pads, or a mild solution of Oxyclean for 20 minutes as mentioned will not pit the stem, followed by toothpaste works well, followed by olive oil is safe.

For bowl freshening I’ve had good luck with a cotton ball soaked is isopropyl alcohol. Soak about 3 of them and stuff them into the bowl and let it sit overnight. Cleaned Ennerdale out of a bowl and worked very well. If you don’t want isopropyl try vodka. The water content is higher. Everclear has been used too.

If you like the feel of vulcanite and want to replace be sure to try a Cumberland stem. Cumberland has great mouth feel, and virtually no oxidizing.
Good stuff, Bill
FJB
Vote Trump 2024!
Wildcat
Codger in Training

Woodrow1953 wrote: Sun Jul 24, 2022 9:15 pm I’ve found any safe mild abrasive will work pretty well. I used to buy some stuff from Walkers Pipe Repair, BUT they don’t sell it any more under the new management. Rather disappointing really. I suppose Walkers wants us to mail the pipe to them. Not always the convenient option.

I like Bartender's Friend
I wonder if "blame Wildcat" will become a theme here? - Fr_Tom
Woodrow1953

Just a clarification on sanding pads. If the oxidation is severe sanding pads are safe. The pads take away a very small amount of oxidation. If one starts chasing a particular area that’s when you run into trouble. Sanding pads are very handy for briar, but normal fine grit sandpaper is just fine.
Stay away from HOT water. Your stem will change color in front of your eyes.
Dave Wolf the former owner of Walkers had a recipe for the paste concoction that was handy. I’ve a little time and see of I can chase that down.
The soaking product from Tobacco Pipes is getting good reviews and I’ll have to try some. Might contact Steve Laug as well.
Bill Wood
Melfort, Sk, Canada
Non profit web developer
Retired broadcaster

Stanwell / Brigham / Peterson